The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Most of the members on this board were either not born or too young to care about a trade that happened in 1986.

Not having the patience to wait out those 3 contracts for the season (so that he could bring back OEL) was

a grave error for sure.  

Everyone knows that OEL is underperforming by $3m ($4m replacement value) and the long term is

creating havoc on the team's salary cap.  It's what it is. 

Going on & on about the trade has no effect on the outcome and clarifies nothing.

Yup.  Our owner keeps pushing his GMs t9 make win now moves at the cost of the future.  Nonis and Gillis stood up to him and both got canned.  Benning played the puppet and only got fired (after 8 friggin’ disastrous years) because of complete incompetence.  How long before JR/Allvin push back against the owner’s direction to sacrifice our future in hopes to “win now”?

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You're omitting one homegrown talent right in our backyard.  Some nobody name Joe Sakic.  But of course, with ace amateur scout Delorme who "found" Elias, of course he would've convinced the GM to pick Sakic had we kept our first round pick that year.  Same 'horse whisperer' that found another prospect playing for the Vancouver Giants (Brendan Gallagher).

I mentioned that elsewhere - given Sakic went 15 would have been interesting if we would have taken him that far off the board 

5 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I mentioned that elsewhere - given Sakic went 15 would have been interesting if we would have taken him that far off the board 

Our Western Canadian scouts have sucked pretty bad since the days of Moses (which pretty much continues to this day).  That's been about the only constant.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Most of the members on this board were either not born or too young to care about a trade that happened in 1986.

Not having the patience to wait out those 3 contracts for the season (so that he could bring back OEL) was

a grave error for sure.  

Everyone knows that OEL is underperforming by $3m ($4m replacement value) and the long term is

creating havoc on the team's salary cap.  It's what it is. 

Going on & on about the trade has no effect on the outcome and clarifies nothing.

Some here claim he's a low end top pair or high end second pair and is worth up to 6m.

15 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Yupp... I was part of the vocal minority when this trade went down that hated it. Took a ton of heat at the time, and did for months after when my opinion never waived. Validation is supposed to help things, but this one just feels gross. 

Yeah this trade almost feels like Benning saying "if I am going down I am taking you with me" to the Canucks 

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol this starting to look like 1 of the worse trade in franchise history now.. trading a 1st 2nd and a 7th and 1 year of cap dump for 6 years of cap anchor and a undersized 3rd line winger

I think it looked like a pretty horrid trade from the very beginning...but yeah, definitely in contention for franchise worst, if not the worst.

• Cheers 1

On 12/10/2022 at 1:10 AM, iinatcc said:

Yeah this trade almost feels like Benning saying "if I am going down I am taking you with me" to the Canucks 

Too bad for us Benning didn’t have the sense of responsibility to the club to say “NO” to our owner like Nonis and Gillis did.  Yes, he gets fired (like those guys did for their putting what’s best for the club first) but we wouldn’t be stuck in the mess we are currently in.  

On 12/10/2022 at 2:54 AM, eeeeergh said:

I’m assembling a team of the all time greats 

eriksson-megna-roussel

hawryluk-beagle-vesey 

Stillman-Poolman

Stillman-Myers

Stillman-Stillman

I wish we still had a Beagle and a Sutter. Our PK would be amazing

Edited by FaninMex

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Feel like this trade is going to sink us for a long time.

one of the worst trades i can remember 

I remember the summer before this trade there were rumours Nenning was trying to get OEL.  And there were spirts people saying it was a really bad idea because OEL was pretty much done and on the worst contract in the league.  We dodged the bullet for one year.  But Benning, being pushed by our owner, just couldn’t help himself.  

• Like 1

Well people were twisting and turning it, saying Garland alone is worth the 9th. 

18 months later you see how wrong that statement is. The kid Arizona drafted is already producing at Garland's pace and hes only 19 years old. 

I was neutral on this trade. The upside was OEL and Garland plays well and we become a playoff team for years to come. Who knew our team would implode like this from last year onwards. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I remember the summer before this trade there were rumours Nenning was trying to get OEL.  And there were spirts people saying it was a really bad idea because OEL was pretty much done and on the worst contract in the league.  We dodged the bullet for one year.  But Benning, being pushed by our owner, just couldn’t help himself.  

JB seemed to have tunnel vision on this one. Weather a GM, or in business, or just lifes challenges. Tunnel vision is rarely a good thing. 

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well people were twisting and turning it, saying Garland alone is worth the 9th. 

18 months later you see how wrong that statement is. The kid Arizona drafted is already producing at Garland's pace and hes only 19 years old. 

I was neutral on this trade. The upside was OEL and Garland plays well and we become a playoff team for years to come. Who knew our team would implode like this from last year onwards. 

Sounds like JR did the way he kept going on about most of the wins we got were because Demko stole them.  And this year with an injured Demko trying to do the same but he’s physically not able to, we see what JR was talking about.  We are a poorly constructed team that plays loose.  We should have been rebuilding properly well before that horrible OEL trade. Hopefully our owner listens to JR and allows some rebuilding moves.  Two steps back for a couple seasons so we can be a much better team than we are now when the moves (if done well) begin to bare fruit.