The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

This is an example of Benning being class.  If he kept trying to trade Holtby until the next buyout window, teams would have settled most of their goaltending needs and his market would be much smaller.  He has helped his team with cap space and helped the player's career.

Maybe they weren’t confident that they would qualify for the second buyout window 

Just now, Provost said:

Clearing all this cap space is good… In principle.

You have to do something useful with it though.  I assume they know what the approximate numbers will be for Petterson, Hughes, and Garland will be so have determined they need the extra space short term.

Sounds like Garland on a long-term deal just under 5m AAV. We need the space for sure, or Benning wouldn't have bought out Holtz.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Holtby was signed, in case Demko faltered, as a kind of co- number 1 situation. Thatcher proved up to the task of being a number 1 goalie. Holtby, and his larger than needed, to be a true back up salary, can now be moved out.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Sounds like Garland on a long-term deal just under 5m AAV. We need the space for sure, or Benning wouldn't have bought out Holtz.

yup. The dead cap sucks for next year, but not locking up the value we traded for with the 9th oa would be far worse. 

2.4 in dead cap is actually not bad when you look at what other teams are carrying next season and beyond. Neal alone e.g., is going to cost EDM 1.9 mil for 4 more years. 

• Cheers 2

Pretty sure Ian Clarke had a lot to do with bringing in Holtby too. Maybe we should throw some shade at him to ;)

Jokes aside. This one really “is what it is”

An insurance policy for Demko that ended up being to expensive.

We should be thankful that Demko made huge steps forward in becoming a no.1 goalie. As a fan of this team. That was absolutely huge and the best thing that happened last season. 

Imagine going into this season still wondering if Demko was the guy?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We have Lu coming off next year, the dead cap from the buyouts would affect us much on our day to day operation especially when we don't have to sign any rfa or UFA of significance next year and the UFA next season ain't to great either. 

We still get 600k in cap space next year from Lu.

Edited by 24K PureCool

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. The dead cap sucks for next year, but not locking up the value we traded for with the 9th oa would be far worse. 

2.4 in dead cap is actually not bad when you look at what other teams are carrying next season and beyond. Neal alone e.g., is going to cost EDM 1.9 mil for 4 more years. 

Yup, gotta lock up Petey, Hughes, Garland, and Dickie. Next year we remove even more dead cap space. Now we just have to get rid of Schmidt and fill his spot with a much cheaper RHD and sit on some cap space throughout the season and into next. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He was likely in on all these decisions from the beginning.  

Idk man. Benning burns alot of his money for nothing. As far as I understand it benning makes the hockey moves and AQ signs the cheques. 

Holtby 

Loui E 

Baerstchi

Just off the top of my head of completely useless wastes of money

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, goblix said:

Holtby is a fit but his contact as of right now isn't... They need the cap space so any trade that a team wanted retention was never an option.. draft picks to offload not an option as well.

Schmidt case is an odd one no one really knows if it's a player style or the environment that the player was in that caused him to be a bad fit this year

Which is why if the team can maneuver capwise and retain him its in their best interests. It has been said on multiple occasions by people in the industry most notably Friedman that putting too much stock in making decisions or evaluating players after last season and the bubble before would be something to do with caution. Too many variables with off ice interference this past season ESPECIALLY for players moving to new teams as Schmidt did, essentially a season away from your family or inner circle in a different city where people cannot move freely, multiple services are unavailable, the overall stress of a Pandemic....I feel Schmidt is far more valuable to Vancouver and at this point I expect he will be in Vancouver to start the season as a top four.

A return to normalcy could do wonders for many players around the league, Schmidt being one, add in Shaw's hiring and I think Schmidt can excel here, OEL also takes pressure off of him.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Yup, gotta lock up Petey, Hughes, Garland, and Dickie. Next year we remove even more dead cap space. Now we just have to get rid of Schmidt and fill his spot with a much cheaper RHD and sit on some cap space throughout the season and into next. 

I'm a little bummed about Nate. I like him as a player, too bad there isn't a good fit here at the moment. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Idk man. Benning burns alot of his money for nothing. As far as I understand it benning makes the hockey moves and AQ signs the cheques. 

Holtby 

Loui E 

Baerstchi

One has to think that this doesn't give Benning much leash this season if things don't pan out well. He's gone if things go south. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

the canucks needed a shut down d man. schmidt was used in that roll. he is not a shut down d man. he is a offensive type. we still need shut down d men. schen is one. would be great to find one more.( affordable )

Yes, Schenn could fit in very nicely here, he got into 10 games on a Championship sickly deep team in Tampa, no reason he can't provide near regular minutes in Vancouver and if under a million per that is very ideal. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

God it would be nice to go into just one season without dead cap on the books. 

at the moment we have 25 million in cap space. Soon to be spent, but damn Jim did say he'd be aggressive. But holy $&!# thats a lot of space.

I've been trying to make myself feel better about the 2.4 mil in dead cap, and looking at James Neal getting paid 1.9 mil by EDM for 4 more years kinda does that. 

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

the canucks needed a shut down d man. schmidt was used in that roll. he is not a shut down d man. he is a offensive type. we still need shut down d men. schen is one. would be great to find one more.( affordable )

Hopefully Schmidt is traded for a shutdown defenseman, or one is signed in free agency. 

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Holtby 

Loui E 

Baerstchi

I agree he's used allot of cash for seemingly no reason,  but he has from the start. The only way a GM like that keeps his job is if the owner has been in on those decisions and approves whatever reason they internally have for them. Aqua is not an absent owner. It's no secret he wants to have more to do with the team than signing cheques. Just ask Mike Gillis 

• Vintage 1