The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Conor Garland

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think it's too much of a stretch. We have a vastly improved lineup, and it's not like OEL needs to be carrying this team, only that he can carry his load. He should be fine.

Yeah: on paper the team is better; hopefully Green can put it all together and have these guys playing & winning together on the ice (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, The Listening said:

People thinking that we were going to sign a young, two-way power forward just entering his prime to a deal under 4 million. LOL, I was expecting 4.5, but the fact that this contract takes him till he's 30 is really good. 

Garland is a power forward? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah: on paper the team is better; hopefully Green can put it all together and have these guys playing & winning together on the ice (?).

I think so.   But this year zero excuses.  A proper training camp etc.  No covid no schedule.    Better lineup.   If we don't make the playoffs TG will probably get the boot unless it's injuries and a ton of them.   

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think so.   But this year zero excuses.  A proper training camp etc.  No covid no schedule.    Better lineup.   If we don't make the playoffs TG will probably get the boot unless it's injuries and a ton of them.   

If the playoffs are missed, which I'd be legitimately shocked by, Benning will get the boot before Green does. 

• Cheers 3

So far we have:   

JT/Dickenson  Petey           Brock                                   

Pearson           Bo             Garland

Hoglander  JT/Dickenson  Podkolzin

Motte                                 MacEwen

Highmore Gadjovich

Sutter as 4C?

Great to have this kid added to our core and he sounds very much like a Burrows/HoneyBadger type which this team needs more of. Just curious about one thing about the AVV. It’s a good deal for 5 years no question but how much wiggle room do we have in cap space?

I might not be a mathematician but we traded 12 million of dead weight contracts and took on OEL’s 7.2 and Garlands 4.9. How much room do we have to resign Dickinson, Petey Hughes and improving our right side D? I’m guessing the 5.95 from Schmidt is coming off but unsure what would be coming back. Are we in good shape cap wise?

9 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Great to have this kid added to our core and he sounds very much like a Burrows/HoneyBadger type which this team needs more of. Just curious about one thing about the AVV. It’s a good deal for 5 years no question but how much wiggle room do we have in cap space?

I might not be a mathematician but we traded 12 million of dead weight contracts and took on OEL’s 7.2 and Garlands 4.9. How much room do we have to resign Dickinson, Petey Hughes and improving our right side D? I’m guessing the 5.95 from Schmidt is coming off but unsure what would be coming back. Are we in good shape cap wise?

Not a math guy either, but according to Capfriendly:

image.thumb.png.7ddc9c870d830b55a8b9bee898af8387.png

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Nope. We are in essentially the same cap situation we were before the trade. We are better on the ice though.

But gettibg rid of Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, and Holtby and bringing in OEL, Garland, Dickenson, and a Holtby replacement is essentially a wash cap wise. Maybe a mil or two added to whats available for Petey and Hughes. But still need to round out the depth too so ultimately nothing significant was gained cap wise.

It is still very much a dollar out for dollar in scenario.

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Injuries, is the one thing that is hard to project when acquiring player(s) - hopefully, through proper training & etc, we can actually enjoy watching these players play -  rather than the last groups of FA’s JB had signed.  Imo, a team should be very hesitant giving any term to a 30+ complementary type player cause the style of play that got them an NHL gig (in the first place) tends to be really hard on the body; if I am a GM, I would only offer a bunch of 1yr prove me type contracts - to keep the player motivated (instead of partially being in retirement mode).

I like the direction that JB has done (this time) by acquiring & signing complementary players that are entering their prime years cause good chance, the Canucks will be getting there moneys worth this time with Dickenson & Garland - fingers crossed, that the Canucks curse will take a few years off.

Definitely, the pressure are on Green & Friends but Clarke & Shaw should offer some hope.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1