The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Conor Garland

28 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

As long as it moves Pearson out of the top 6 and off the PP I am a fan.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland 

That needs to be the top 6.

Would rather Pearson not be signed for 3 years at 2nd liner money but that ship has sailed. No foresight at all there.

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin should be a decent 3rd line. It will probably stunt Podz a bit offensively though but hopefully he can make an immediate impact.

Rather not have Hoglander and Garland on the same line - bit of a size issue for me, although I do acknowledge Hoglander has decent weight for his size.  Suggest Pearson on that line with Hoglander on a line with Dickinson and Podkolzin - that's 3 lines with good potential for scoring.

Not sure about Hoglander and Garland both on same line - neither has good size (although Hoglander is stocky).  Rather have Pearson on LW and move Hoglander on a line with Dickinson and (Motte ?).  That would be 3 decent lines that can score.

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Look at the numbers.

It is quickly discernable that its not Horvat who needs Pearson, its Pearson who needs Horvat. Go ahead, dig into their numbers playing with each other and without. Its illuminating.

Horvat does not fall off a cliff offensively when he is without Pearson. Pearson becomes as productive as a 4th liner without Horvat.

Should have let him walk. He is one of the most overrated players on CDC. Even in his career year he scored 20% of his points with the opposing net empty. In his career year he was basically as productive as a 3rd liner, while playing 2nd line minutes. Last year he wasnt even that, while playing full time 2nd line minutes and half the season on the top pp unit.

That 3.25 mil next year would have gone a long way to not being cap crunched and in a potential offer sheet situation for EP.

it's not about numbers or need. horvat went the first 5 years (or so, didn't look it up) without a consistent linemate, just a revolving door of wingers. it got to a point where he couldn't even disguise his frustration anymore. he's finally found someone who fits there consistently, that he can rely on, that he's friends with. and that complements his game. 

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

U think he wants pearson there?

yup.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, combover said:

Garland worth 5mill a season for 5 years..

yikes 

well if he’s worth 5 I guess EP should hold out for 9. 
gross deal 

3.5 should have been the max.

that cap space must just be burning JB.

Oh it must be ufa time when Jb make mediocre players long term mistakes. 

Bought UFA years as well, player in the absolute prime of his career. Let's see how it plays out but all deals are a bet. This bet is hedged incredibly well. 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, combover said:

yikes 

gross deal 

RFA and UFA are two entirely different things.  

12 minutes ago, singing chef said:

Rather not have Hoglander and Garland on the same line - bit of a size issue for me, although I do acknowledge Hoglander has decent weight for his size.  Suggest Pearson on that line with Hoglander on a line with Dickinson and Podkolzin - that's 3 lines with good potential for scoring.

Not sure about Hoglander and Garland both on same line - neither has good size (although Hoglander is stocky).  Rather have Pearson on LW and move Hoglander on a line with Dickinson and (Motte ?).  That would be 3 decent lines that can score.

Pearson isn't big either.   Just so so size. 

20 minutes ago, Dave K said:

39 points in 49 games playing with Schmaltz/Dvorak.  He’s gonna be a stud for us and this deal will be a steal.  

I’m at a wait and see approach. Want to see how Garland produces this year. If he produces. This contract at just under 5M will be a steal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Yeah for sure because otherwise what?

I dunno.  A lot of people here acting like they know exactly what kinda player he is.  
I bet all you guys spent all season watching all the Coyotes games last season and know 100% this kid is worth a 5 x 5 contract.  

I personally didn’t watch a single Arizona game last year, because why the hell would I?  
I watched a lot of Chicago and Tampa games, but I’m not going to pretend I remember this kid from two years ago. 

Im fine with Benning overall, but let’s not act like every big swing he takes is a home run.  

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Probably your worst take yet. Didn’t think it was possible 

He really does keep upping the bar for himself doesn’t he?

If Hyman is worth upwards of 6 then Garland is easily worth 4.95 through his prime years.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, combover said:

yikes 

gross deal 

Cool story, bruh. 

• Haha 1

yikes 

gross deal 

You don't know how the league works.

• Upvote 1

yikes 

gross deal 

You left out the part where it's a long term deal with zero trade protection.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You left out the part where it's a long term deal with zero trade protection.

tough to nitpick that deal too much. Maybe 500k too high, but there's no major terms to it. Totally movable and all cash. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, combover said:

5 mill per year is all the trade protection it needs. 

5 years at 5 mill per for a 25 year old player that was on pace for 60+ points last season? You sure?

So, theoretically speaking, if we were to put Garland on the market right now, you're saying their would be zero takers?

Interesting.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1