The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

1 minute ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Savard instead of Poolman and i would have been ecstatic. 

honestly not sure if Savard is any good anymore or not...

he played fairly limited minutes in Tampa and was a roughly even player (in playoffs)... Being on a great and deep team like Tampa this leaves me a little hesitant. That said being said with the defensive core they have there its obvious he was utilized in a limited role in favor of the bigger name players.

Just saying not sure if he's earned such high regard as he seems to be getting. Being age 31 (birthday in October) vs Poolman age 28 (birthday in June) we will have Poolman on his more valuable years and will his contract will expire before his eventual decline

image.thumb.png.5730d8a76b1af35777d6ecc8a91f6f87.png

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Would still like to add another top 4 D man.

Poolman can fill the role that Benn did the last couple years.

The way I see things now.

OEL - UFA/Trade

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi Poolman

Need a better top 4 guy IMO

No way we just spent 2.5 million for a guy not to play. Poolman is an NHL defensemen. I'm fine with Hamonic,Poolman and Schenn as our 2,3 and 4th right side D. I do agree with you tho that our number 1 can't be Myers and he's getting paid like one. IMO Myers needs to go. Free up 6 million and go out and trade for "your guy"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

He's not a bottom pairing guy, he played over 20 minutes/night in the playoffs and looked great. Only people who say he's a bottom pairing guy werent paying attention in the playoffs. 

He played a lot of minutes with Josh Morissey whos a trainwreck defensively. With Morissey, they had a 46.8% Corsi, and morrisey dropped to 42.8% when he wasn't playing with Poolman. Morissey is a 6.2m $ defenseman and Poolman was the one holding up the pair defensively. 

Poolman and Hamonic are both gonna stay at home, block shots, and throw hits while OEL and Hughes terrorize our opponents. 

here's hoping!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Texx said:

Everyone likes Demelo it seems. Watching the jets i think poolman has more upside. The 500,000 k difference in salary is about right. They are very close. Id take poolman over demelo to be honeat.

I agree - that they are/have been comparable.  DeMelo is a solid rhd imo - penalty killer - good tweener.

Clearly Maurice preferred Poolman - he utilized him more.

I'm fine with this deal - I like Poolman's mobility and was impressed with his ability to take away time and space when I got to see him more in the playoffs.

The Jets  were pre-committed - would have had to deal DeMelo to re-sign Poolman.

Instead they went out and bolstered their greater need - LHD.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Truculent 2pim, usually truculent gets more penalties for crossing the line or being too slow etc. Maybe this guy has it all and he is a hitting machine who takes no penalties...not!

He actually seems to be lol. 2 pims and 69 hits last year in 39 games. 

Makes sense too - he skates extremely well and I don't remember seeing him out of position in the montreal series. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

No way we just spent 2.5 million for a guy not to play. Poolman is an NHL defensemen. I'm fine with Hamonic,Poolman and Schenn as our 2,3 and 4th right side D. I do agree with you tho that our number 1 can't be Myers and he's getting paid like one. IMO Myers needs to go. Free up 6 million and go out and trade for "your guy"

I’m not convinced Myers will be OELs partner.

This is the way I see it if we wanna be deep:

OEL Murray/Hakanpaa?

Hughes Hamonic 

Myers Poolman

Juolevi Schenn

Rathbone in Abbotsford.

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

He's not a bottom pairing guy, he played over 20 minutes/night in the playoffs and looked great. Only people who say he's a bottom pairing guy werent paying attention in the playoffs. 

He played a lot of minutes with Josh Morissey whos a trainwreck defensively. With Morissey, they had a 46.8% Corsi, and morrisey dropped to 42.8% when he wasn't playing with Poolman. Morissey is a 6.2m $ defenseman and Poolman was the one holding up the pair defensively. 

Poolman and Hamonic are both gonna stay at home, block shots, and throw hits while OEL and Hughes terrorize our opponents. 

"bottom pairing" is an increasingly meaningless term in the modern NHL.

but regardless - by objective standards - he wasn't a bottom pairing - he was Wpg's #4.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'd wait to see what Poolman looks like in this lineup before calling him a 'replacement level d-man' - which is entirely misrepresentative of his role in Winnipeg - where he played a more significant role than Dylan DeMelo, a veteran RHD who averaged 20 minutes the previous 4 seasons - signed to a 4 x 3 million deal....

My concern with the right side is not Poolman - it's bringing back Hamonic if the intent is to pair him with Hughes - he'll need to be considerably better imo.

As I said, replacement level.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m not convinced Myers will be OELs partner.

This is the way I see it if we wanna be deep:

OEL Murray/Hakanpaa?

Hughes Hamonic 

Myers Poolman

Juolevi Schenn

Rathbone in Abbotsford.

All depends on the EP and QH contracts I think. If they're what we think they're gonna be (7-7.5m and 6.5m) we won't have room for another D man. 

Hamonic or Poolman could play with OEL. OEL had a CF of 48.2, while Poolman's old partner Morrissey had a CF of 45.9 last year. 

I can see Myers playing with Juolevi again, but easier minutes as the tough shutdown minutes will be taken by OEL, Hamonic, Poolman. Myers should do fine as long as he's not up against other team's top lines. Myers won't be playing with Poolman as both are RHD. 

Agreed Rathbone ends up in Abbotsford. 

• Cheers 1

We couldn't sign Vatanen? I'm not sure if I like going into the season with our right defence looking like this.

Myers

Hamonic 

Poolman

Schenn

Unless there is something that I am missing about Poolman, but I would've like to see Benning sign Vatanen, Gustafsson, Smith or Hakanpaa.

Edited by The Listening

Just now, eeeeergh said:

All depends on the EP and QH contracts I think. If they're what we think they're gonna be (7-7.5m and 6.5m) we won't have room for another D man. 

Hamonic or Poolman could play with OEL. OEL had a CF of 48.2, while Poolman's old partner Morrissey had a CF of 45.9 last year. 

I can see Myers playing with Juolevi again, but easier minutes as the tough shutdown minutes will be taken by OEL, Hamonic, Poolman. Myers should do fine as long as he's not up against other team's top lines. Myers won't be playing with Poolman as both are RHD. 

Agreed Rathbone ends up in Abbotsford. 

I do not think we are getting Pettersson for 7.5, not long term atleast. I hope we can but &^@#, the guy is so good.