The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

KK will resign in Carolina at a more reasonable price 

4 x 4 or

4 x 5

I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens.

Could see an extension done fairly quickly, if Montreal doesn’t match.

I’m sure KK and his reps well understand that this offer sheet is just about the Hurricanes’ owner getting his revenge, and not the team actually setting a realistic value on the player.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

So I see "Pettersson" is trending on Twitter.

Tons of posts like these all over the place..............

petey.jpg

Lol isn’t it 4 first rounders for $10mill +?   10 mill for Petey and 10 mill for hughes… so 8 first rounders!? 

5 hours ago, camaro ss said:

Carolina what a joke. U shouldn’t be able to do that to the most storied franchise in the world.

Yeah Montreal should get a first round bye every playoffs and be exempt from penalties because they're old. Galaxy brain take right here.

• Haha 2

Friedman on his podcast says that he thinks there is already an agreement with Carolina for an extension where his next deal would be less than this 1 year deal - ie he wouldn't sign his qualifying offer but a reasonable extension.  Can only sign in January as the offer sheet is a 1 year deal.

He thinks Montreal was offering a bridge of around 2.5M x 2 maybe even less.  Friedman thinks there's a chance that Montreal might not match - they have Suzuki coming up in  a year.  He says they will probably take those picks around the league and see what they could bring back.  Dvorak could be a target as suggested by Engels.  

Kotkaniemi signed well above his value and could get 6M through his RFA years if they match - he just has to sign his qualifying offer every season. They can't trade him for a year.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think it's a done deal, Montreal shouldn't match.  Kotkaniemi would be public enemy number 1 if he goes back to Montreal.  Fans would turn on him pretty quick.  

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

They're middle of the pack in their division, and their main weakness is center.  Add Petey to their group and that's a solid team.

Gee, I wonder why they're so weak down the middle. Might have something to do with them having 14 players (7 wingers, 5 D, and 2 G) earning more than their highest paid center...who is (wait for it...) Cedric Paquette.

And yet, they're over the cap! :lol:

• Haha 2

Torn about this. On one hand i think it's a bit of a bush league move, on the other hand it's a really epic revenge move designed strategically so MTL can't match without getting themselves into big trouble and if they don't match they'll have a hard time replacing him short term.

Aho's deal doesn't even look that bad anymore although the term is not what CAR would have liked. Nice work Bergevin...

Btw - what's the significance of the $20 signing bonus? Some sort of inside joke?

Edited by J-P

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Torn about this. On one hand i think it's a bit of a bush league move, on the other hand it's a really epic revenge move designed strategically so MTL can't match without getting themselves into big trouble and if they don't match they'll have a hard time replacing him short term.

Aho's deal doesn't even look that bad anymore although the term is not what CAR would have liked. Nice work Bergevin...

Btw - what's the significance of the $20 signing bonus? Some sort of inside joke?

Aho’s number

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think it's a done deal, Montreal shouldn't match.  Kotkaniemi would be public enemy number 1 if he goes back to Montreal.  Fans would turn on him pretty quick.  

This. JK, had to sign this deal. Him and his agent knew exactly what they were signing and how it effects the Habs cap wise. The $20 bonus? JK knew that was Aho's number. I doubt Berg wants him back in the room if JK doesn't respect the organization. The Canes are a resl good team and could come out of the East. He's gone in imho. 

15 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

If Kotkaniemi doesn’t perform well next season, it completely takes away the negotiating power of Montreal because he could very well just sign his inflated qualifying offer.

Pretty sure all they have to do is take him to arbitration if he hasn't earned it and then try again after that's done - same thing we could do with BB ... 

5 hours ago, mll said:

He says they will probably take those picks around the league and see what they could bring back.  Dvorak could be a target as suggested by Engels.  

MTL needs to add to that though. Dvorak is one of the few F pieces they have to build around, and I can't see them moving him for a 20-ish oa pick and a 3rd.

• Vintage 1

Hopefully this will discourage anyone from trying it with Petey or Hughes.

Regardless, I don't think Montreal have 6M in cap space whereas Carolina can squeeze him in. Smart move, he'll probably end up a Hurricane. 

I know 6.1M seems like a lot but this is a 3rd overall pick who might breakout soon, and could do it with a decent Hurricanes team...

The Canes will probably end up with a late 1st rounder so a 20th+ overall and 3rd isn't too bad for a young 2nd line, 40 point center with potential.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1