The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL, NHLPA announce COVID protocols for 2021-22 season

Rate this topic

NHL's new COVID-19 protocols include mechanism for suspending unvaccinated players:

Quick Thursday evening blog: The NHL and NHLPA have finalized COVID-19 protocols for the 2021-22 season.

The biggest news is a mechanism for teams to suspend unvaccinated players who are “unable to participate in club activities.” This includes situations where a player cannot travel because of local, provincial/state and/or federal regulations “upon return.” Such individuals would “forfeit the equivalent of one day’s pay for each day” they are precluded from participating.

It’s a major development considering the Canada/U.S. border and different rules/approaches across the NHL’s North American landscape. General managers were warned about this possibility at their virtual meeting in July and began informing players about the possibility.

There are exceptions — unvaccinated status based upon medical reasons; a conflict with “sincerely held religious beliefs;” establishment “on the basis of a balance of the probabilities,” COVID-19 “arised out of the course of employment as a hockey player;” or quarantine because of being a high-risk close contact.

If a fully vaccinated player is confirmed with a positive COVID test, his condition “shall be treated as a hockey-related injury for all purposes” under the CBA.

Unvaccinated players who are not exempted for the above reasons will not be paid if his team establishes, “on the basis of a balance of the probabilities, that the player failed to comply with the terms of this protocol in a manner that was reasonably related to his contraction of COVID-19 and/or any resulting or related illness.”

Other notable points of emphasis:

• Any player who wishes to opt-out of the 2021-22 season because they are unvaccinated or fully vaccinated “but can establish that an immediate family member with whom he shares a household is at substantially heightened risk of severe illness by contracting COVID-19” can opt-out by Oct. 1. The team in question will then have 30 days to decide if the player’s contract will be “tolled” (basically rolling it over to 2022-23) or if this season would be removed from the agreement. Anyone opting out would not be able to play in another league or the Olympics.
  • Any person whose job, role, position or access entails or entitles them to have personal interactions (within 12 feet) of club hockey operations personnel (including players) must be fully vaccinated.
  • Fully vaccinated players shall be subject to PCR testing at least every 72 hours. That guideline could change depending on how things progress. Unvaccinated players will be tested daily.
  • There are stiff rules for unvaccinated players. On the road, they cannot enter “internal venues” other than the team hotel, practice facility, or game arena. They are not allowed to use the hotel gym, pool, sauna, steam room or other shared facilities. They are not allowed to have teammates, team staff or visitors inside their hotel room, with the exception of fully-vaccinated family. They are not allowed to leave the hotel to eat (or purchase food) or use any restaurants/bars (in or out of the hotel) that are open to the public. They can’t pick up food except where the restaurant provides curbside pickup (or similar service) that does not require entrance to the main restaurant.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhls-new-covid-19-protocols-include-mechanism-suspending-unvaccinated-players/

I think they missed one thing. If an unvaccinated player gets other players or staff sick or they have to miss games because of positive test they should pay their salaries. 
Hard to prove but having to pay McDavid’s salary for a few days should get the players to finally do their civic duty. 

What about this Israeli study published this wk, stating those who are vacc'd are 27x more likely to contract the Delta Variant, compared with people who had a prior infection of Covid-19(increasing their natural immunity)?

Read yesterday a Harvard epidemiologist(Martin Kulldorff) was strongly endorsing this study.

If true, would guess the biblical Covid-hit in spring, on our team, would now(supposedly?) make them much more resilient in fighting off potential further infection?

• Like 3
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What about this Israeli study published this wk, stating those who are vacc'd are 27x more likely to contract the Delta Variant, compared with people who had a prior infection of Covid-19(increasing their natural immunity)?

Read yesterday a Harvard epidemiologist(Martin Kulldorff) was strongly endorsing this study.

If true, would guess the biblical Covid-hit in spring, on our team, would now(supposedly?) make them much more resilient in fighting off potential further infection?

I dunno but I’m double vaccinated and currently waiting for my test result as I have a flu. If I’m one of those “break through” cases, I will be pissed! 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm far from a league apologist, but this works. 

the unvaccinated player stuff has some issues, but I think its part of having to deal with US laws more than anything else. But if there is a player on a team who goes this route I could see things getting pretty ugly in some locker rooms. I sure hope the Canucks don't have one of those. 

Seems to be designed to have them opt out though.

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the unvaccinated player stuff has some issues, but I think its part of having to deal with US laws more than anything else. But if there is a player on a team who goes this route I could see things getting pretty ugly in some locker rooms. I sure hope the Canucks don't have one of those

Seems to be designed to have them opt out though.

He got bought out

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What does this Israeli study say about just how sick those vaccinated people get, after getting Delta?

1 hour ago, gurn said:

What does this Israeli study say about just how sick those vaccinated people get, after getting Delta?

There was an article yesterday on Zerohedge(Harvard Epidemiologist On Vaccine Passports)..in truth I didn't read the source material too closely, just main pts they referenced.

Sorry unvaxxed players. If you don't want to get vaccinated, this is a choice you must make for yourself. The consequence for not vaxxing is potential illness. If one does not use their due diligence to avoid long-term COVID illness, then one should be penalized.

I, for one, am fully in agreement with this protocol.

If you are THAT scared about vaccination, then don't engage in social activities. Take the risk of COVID and see what happens. Unfortunately, no one else should pay for your stupidity. The fact that our health care system covers these morons is too much of a gift for them.

The NHL is apparently at 95% vaccinated up from 85% mid-August.

Last month Russo/Strang for the Athletic reported that the NHLPA was already strongly encouraging players to get vaccinated in prevision of these restrictions and the salary reduction.  One prominent player was quoted saying that he didn't feel he needs the vaccine because he already caught Covid but would abide because he doesn't want to be responsible for anyone on his team getting sick or more honestly not getting paid.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There are exceptions — unvaccinated status based upon medical reasons; a conflict with “sincerely held religious beliefs;” establishment “on the basis of a balance of the probabilities,” COVID-19 “arised out of the course of employment as a hockey player;” or quarantine because of being a high-risk close contact.

WTF? 

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

My test results came in. I’m positive. So pissed off. Double vaccinated and now Covid positive :picard:

At least you have full protection and have nothing to worry about. A girl I went to high school with (I'm 22) refused to get vaxxed, got a variant and ended up in the hospital for 17 days.

• Vintage 1