The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Christian Dvorak to Canadiens for conditional 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick

27 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Montreal played this really well.  Carolina is now overpaying for a 3rd line centre and will be stuck with a high QO after giving up a 1st and 3rd to get him.  Montreal is now paying 1.6  million less for a better player. 

Where Montreal failed was at the draft when they picked Kotkaniemi.  It was a reach at the time and they missed out on Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes who would actually be worth matching.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina already discussed about a longer extension at a lower cap hit. Perhaps they see how the year goes. If he doesn't play up to par, then they get him locked up at a cheaper deal, if he excels then they can go higher or probably could move him at good value possibly even more than they gave up for the offer sheet anyway.

I agree that Montreal probably has made the most of the situation, but they should've been able to lock up Kotkaniemi at a cheaper bridge if they didn't piss him off. I think the pick was a gamble, but I think they didn't need to rush him into the lineup. They probably felt they had to justify picking him so high though by making him appear to be NHL ready off the bat.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully Quebec City will inherit a promising young team.

Would be poetic justice, considering what the Avs inherited from Quebec.  I’d love to see a new Quebec team that’s immediately better than the Habs.  Although that doesn't look like it’s going to be too difficult.  :lol:

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

wow what a day for the yotes and montreal!!!

Ya it seems...tit for tat...ish?

Kismet perhaps though it feels a welcome fitting counter play?

Destiny at play...I'm eating it up...".specially" cause there isn't enough NHL stuff to keep one sated:) 

Edited by Cat Man

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would be poetic justice, considering what the Avs inherited from Quebec.  I’d love to see a new Quebec team that’s immediately better than the Habs.  Although that first look like it’s going to be too difficult.  :lol:

Yeah, it would make me so happy, but I’m almost certain it’ll never happen.

If I’m really being serious, I doubt the Coyotes ever get moved, at least not until after Bettman retires.

And even if they did move, it would probably be to Houston (or another high population US metro area).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Basically Kotkaniemi + 2nd for Dvorak + 3rd… (in MTLs POV)

I like Dvorak and think he’ll do well with the plethora of veteran wingers MTL has to offer.   Still thin C depth tho. 

Carolina just gets deeper and adds another young Finnish player into the fold… I can see him doing well there too. 

Meanwhile Arizona adds yet another ‘22 1st…. If they draft well, that team will be good in a hurry. 

Edited by 70seven

52 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I doubt Carolina ever thought that Montreal wouldn't match.  They went off the board when the drafted KK and now, he performs more to the expected level of a mid-1st round pick and $6.1 is a big over payment.

The real tragedy here is that Kotkaneimi, if he doesn't live up to his $6.1M, will wind up not getting qualified next year and then what???

Most likely they have a deal in place like a 4 x $4 mill that'll be signed in January.  I'm sure it was all discussed before he signed the offer sheet.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That team is such a joke.  They’re clearly tanking.  There are no hockey fans in Arizona to care.  

You are soooo wrong on not having hockey fans in Arizona. My business partner used to play college hockey for University of Colorado and now lives in Mesa, AZ. There’s huge beer league hockey presence with a lot of hockey fans around. High level development for youth players (Matthews, fir example; my partner’s son played with Mathews for a few years). The only problem is the rink location. Just today an announcement came that Coyotes put a bid to build a new rink in Tempe. Much easier access. We all might be surprised soon and Coyotes will not move out after moving to Tempe.

Edited by RomanP
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Where's that guy who kept telling me montreal would never trade a 1st round pick because bergeron doesnt trade picks

First off. Bergevin, not Bergeron. If you’re going to be smarmy at least get the name right. Lol.

To be fair. It was an extra 1st.  Its  the first time in his entire tenure he’s traded a first.  Plus this was a very unique situation. All in all I don’t feel bad defending my position that under normal circumstances he doesn’t move first round picks. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RomanP said:

You are soooo wrong on not having hockey fans in Arizona. My business partner used to play college hockey for University of Colorado and now lives in Mesa, AZ. There’s huge beer league hockey presence with a lot of hockey fans around. High level development for youth players (Matthews, fir example; my partner’s son played with Mathews for a few years). The only problem is the rink location. Just today an announcement came that Coyotes put a bid to build a new rink in Tempe. Much easier access. We all might be surprised soon and Coyotes will not move out after moving to Tempe.

Betteman seems pretty committed to them staying in Arizona. How long do you think it would take to build that new stadium?

Maybe they play one season in another market until it's finished.

2 hours ago, Cat Man said:

The Yotes are in the works for a new arena development in Tempe.

As much as another Canadian team would be a pleasure it looks doubtful about now. 

Bettman isn't letting the Coyotes move anytime soon. Phoenix is the 11th largest TV market in the US. I think that if this new arena in Tempe gets done it will be a huge difference maker for the franchise. Probably where they should of built the arena in the first place, much closer to downtown Phoenix, the airport and the wealthy suburbs in Scottsdale not to mention Arizona State University for the younger sports and party crowd.

Kind of hoping Montreal misses the playoffs and has to hand over the 11th overall pick in this trade while Carolina makes it to the East Final, don't really know why, I just think it'd make this all much more funny than it already has been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Betteman seems pretty committed to them staying in Arizona. How long do you think it would take to build that new stadium?

Maybe they play one season in another market until it's finished.

It’s hard to say, the bid will take probably 6-7 months to be reviewed and accepted. With current technologies, it can be built in 1-2 years after that.

Edited by RomanP
  • Thanks 1