The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which 1st OVERALL PICK in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which 1st OVERALL PICK in their prime are you taking?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Mario, of course.  But from the list, Sidney then Eric.  Connor is the best attacking with puck on stick, but he’s the worst without the puck.  He’s a “look at me mommy” player.  It’s why he will never be “the guy” on a Cup winner, and we won’t win the Olympic Gold if he’s “the guy” on team Canada.  

it funny, if the poll was "who is the most complete player at #1 overall" no one would pick McBaby.

Ultimately went with Sid, but easily could have been Mario too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

very hard to compare those from different decades.

Perreault and LeFluer used 2x4's for sticks. Then there are those that had to play through the dead puck era. And then compare them with the high flying era where we just have to out score the other team( I don't care if they score 6... we'll score 7)( no defense at all)

Then there is today, where it's a combination of them all, sans 2x4 sticks.

Not to mention lefluer and all the other greats in that the era had to the worst diets possible.   Lefluer smoked between periods, Gretzky pregame meal was hotdogs. 
imagine if these guys were training like how today’s players trained!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Father Ryan said:

Lafluer, easily. Crosby is good, but nowhere near Lafluer. One question...Where IS MARIO LEMIUEX??

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

it funny, if the poll was "who is the most complete player at #1 overall" no one would pick McBaby.

Ultimately went with Sid, but easily could have been Mario too. 

Mario was deliberately left off of the poll so that voting would be more even.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Crosby because he has won Stanley and the Golden Goal!!!!!

I think McDavid may actually be a better offensive threat but Crosby plays a truly well rounded Canadian style game by playing in the dirty areas, backchecking and scoring.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Lindros for me.  Unique skillset with a short peak in the dead puck era.

I went Lindros too. Man was an absolute beast. I think if you released prime 88 into todays NHL he would be the most dominant player in the game. 

Edited by hammertime

Until McDavid wins a Conn Smythe, Crosby is my pick.

I don't think any player on this list can match what McDavid did in the 2020-21 regular season, but playoffs matter. The Conn Smythe is the ultimate individual trophy and Crosby's won two. Other close names are Lindros, Lafleur, and Ovechkin.

After that, the next tier is pretty big IMO. Probably Potvin, Thornton, Kane, Stamkos, MacKinnon, Matthews, Hawerchuk...it gets hard not to include almost everyone in the next level. A lot of guys have had at least one great season that deserves consideration. Even guys like Lecavalier and Hall both had one incredible season.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

My choice isn't on your list for some reason. Mario Lemieux is who I'd go with. He dominated over a long period of time and elevated his game when necessary.

Lemiuex would have 90% of the votes and the poll wouldn't be interesting, so I don't mind the omission.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Of the choices that are there, its pretty simple for me. Even though McDavid probably has a little higher skill level, Crosby won the cup at the age of 21, McDavid is 24 and still hasn't been able to pilot his team past the first round yet, even with the talent level up front.

McDavid wasn't even able to get himself past Cole Cassels in Junior!

• Haha 1