The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Offseason grades from the Athletic

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

Just now, The_Rocket said:

Funny thing is, he hates Poolman because of his analytics, but Poolman’s D-zone analytics are actually quite good. He’s one of those players that is good defensively, poor offensively. The eye test, the stat sheet, and the analytics show this. 

I honestly do not understand the hate for Poolman that many media members give him

Defensive defensemen are criminally underappreciated these days, but are the backbone of successful playoff teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Defensive defensemen are criminally underappreciated these days, but are the backbone of successful playoff teams.

No doubt. All you have to do is look at the Hamhuis 2011 playoff injury to understand how vital these guys can be

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

In addition to my Athletic subscription, I also have an Evolving Hockey subscription. 

all I hear on Twitter is that poolman sucks analytically, and he was only projected to get a league minimum deal (guys like Drance, Blake Price, Matt sekeras, etc say this). 

then, I go on evolving hockey, and they project a middle class contract, and have analytics that show he is good defensively. 

who am I to believe, the radio hosts taking out their as***s for 3 hours a day, or a website which simply out puts results, not opinions. Hmmmmmmm

twitter is a cesspool. I hate that the media calls it "Canucks twitter" as if it represents most fans. 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Poolman was a full force PMD in college.  24 and 30 point seasons, a national champion with Boeser & Stech!

Lousy offensively, apparently appreciated defensively last year.  Playing with Morrisey against top comp. It seemed out of character?

He was better two years ago; scored at a 23 point pace which is decent.

I believe there is underlying potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I actually liked a lot of the moves this off-season, however, I'd also have been fine to wait for some of those contracts to come off the books in a year.  

My belief is that politics dictated these deals (Jim wants to keep the GM seat, like anybody would) but at the same time I think he did a pretty solid job considering what he had to work with.  There is always the possibility that these guys just suck when they get to Vancouver, that is a story we are familiar with as Canucks fans...but that is true of any trade, really.  

Edited by Industrious1

This offseason will probably end up like most things on here.....worse than most of the homers think and better than the bashers.

I doubt Poolman is a D signing, I also doubt he's an A+. I find it hard to believe a 28 year old NHL defensemen with 120 games under his belt is comparable to Tanev.  I also find it hard to believe a top 6 dman from Winnipeg is a D signing.

OEL deal.....big contract. Next year, awesome especially with Garland....OEL might be an anchor in a few years but worry about it then.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two guys pretending to be hockey experts, who never played.  

And remember Drance is the idiot who is 110% a Dubass fan. 

Alf speaking the truth. 

I have a hard time drumming up any sort of respect for these scribes who have never laced on a pair of skates...I would have a smidgen of respect for these guys even if they played house league.

They acting like OEL is 39 and is done. Guy puts up 40 + points every season on a bad team and gets painted out as a Lucic type (can't play anymore and makes 7 million to much). Sure the OEL contract might look bad in year 5 and 6 but IMO he's got at least 4 really good seasons left in him. If the canucks haven't won by then anyhow the team is looking much different.

Giving a D to Hughes/Pettersson signing is more than fair. We have left ourselves with only 14mil of cap space when it will probably take 8mil each to sign both. This is why it is still not done deals and we will see how it plays out. It is much better to get these done early so the star players are prepared for training camp, which further adds to the D grade.