Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

57 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Eartha Kitt?

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's Lee Meriwether as Catwoman. 

Yup on LW. Not tall enough to be Julie Newmar. She seemed (to me) to have the most fun with the role.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure if this was posted but it’s from Drance’s article at the athletic… Hank on OEL during the “bag skate” fiasco.  Drance was actually pretty bang on in the article about how the vets know what’s coming and pace themselves all day for it. 

“He did three ones really easily and then the fourth one, he didn’t, but he’s a new guy, he’s never skated it before, you saw all the other guys that are new and they were struggling too,” said Sedin. “I know fans and media are going to pick up on it and talk about it for a week, but there’s really nothing to talk about.”

Alright, that actually does make me feel a bit better.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure if this was posted but it’s from Drance’s article at the athletic… Hank on OEL during the “bag skate” fiasco.  Drance was actually pretty bang on in the article about how the vets know what’s coming and pace themselves all day for it. 

“He did three ones really easily and then the fourth one, he didn’t, but he’s a new guy, he’s never skated it before, you saw all the other guys that are new and they were struggling too,” said Sedin. “I know fans and media are going to pick up on it and talk about it for a week, but there’s really nothing to talk about.”

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Alright, that actually does make me feel a bit better.

But here's what Green said:  “You do it for a reason. You learn a lot about what a guy has done over the summer. It’s a tough skate and new players struggle with it more. Guys who have been here know what’s coming.”

Sedin's quote is probably more to the truth, but is the coach using this to gauge fitness levels at the end of the summer?  Looks like it a bit....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Haha, talk about a mountain out of a mole hill.  I've been through hundreds of bag skates, both as a player and a coach.  It's meaningless.  It's basically a team building exercise, and "us against them" activity.  I remember one camp in Portland they coaching staff skated us until every last player on the ice puked and it has zero meaning as far as game play, ice time etc.

Very true.

In baseball from the age of 16 to college suicides (sprinting to 1st, jogging to 2nd, sprinting to 3rd and jogging home ) were used at practices and if we played terrible the whole team did them till we puked lol.

They often put us in 2 groups and if someone from your group broke a rule, showed up late etc,  the whole group was punished it was a great deterrent to not mess around.

Then of course the purp has to be punished by the group and anyone who played at a high-level of sports from my age group knows something was being shaved somewhere and not the head. having no eyebrows sucked but was one of the more tame punishments. I'm sure hockey alum have some stories

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Thank you. 

Kinda pathetic of ppl to jump all over this like they even have the slightest clue as to what is going on. 

image.gif.4f77ff3264ad76215fd7b706ee489b04.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

But here's what Green said:  “You do it for a reason. You learn a lot about what a guy has done over the summer. It’s a tough skate and new players struggle with it more. Guys who have been here know what’s coming.”

Sedin's quote is probably more to the truth, but is the coach using this to gauge fitness levels at the end of the summer?  Looks like it a bit....

Any player who thinks they can fake it at any point in their NHL career is reminded on day 1 that they can't.  Team building?  Ya, because everybody else out there can tell who has been working hard and who hasn't.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

It’s a valid point about OJ and his battle with Covid. Granted, a bunch of players who had Covid did just fine during the bag skate and were not in the distress Olli was. But we know that certain individuals are hit really hard compared to others. But as this point the excuse making for OJ is becoming less credible to me.

Luke Schenn also looked quite good. A nice development considering what I just read about Hamonic. Cripes. 

There can be a lot of reasons to see that though as well. He could have simply drank too much water right before, or not enough before the practice, or went too hard in some drills beforehand trying to impress. Not to make excuses but any long distance runner will tell you if you start out too quick or get a little queasy, or shaky, it's easy to let that spiral and just get weak and sick. Maybe he felt like throwing up and sucked it up just to finish. I used to do that all the time. Of course I still came in first. :P

Sorry, that's one more excuse for you! ;)

• Haha 1

So much lower end forward depth. Motte & Sutter are 4th line locks, then theres a ton of options;

Chiasson

Petan

Lockwood

DiGuiseppe

Highmore

MacEwen

Gadjovich

Dowling

Bailey

All guys that have played or could possibly play.

Even on the backend, consider the options for 6-7-8 & further depth;

Rathbone

Juolevi

Hunt

Schenn

Bowey

Keeper

Sautner

Brisebois

Again all guys that have played/could play.

And in net too - DiPietro is a great insurance policy as a #3.

Haven't had this depth throughout the lineup for some time. 

• Cheers 2