The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Does Friedman at this time get to just say whatever he wants and nobody questions him?   Kind of get the feeling that's the case.... i mean didn't anyone tell him his covid beard made him look like a hobo?  Or were they afraid.   I like the guy because he was so terrible at the start i couldn't understand why he had a job in the first place.   Asking the strangest inane questions.   And he ended up becoming the number one insider.   Big Head Bob vs Fishboy Friedman... there is a strange likeness ...between him and this guy Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

• Cheers 1

Petey: "I want to play for team that's winning."

Also Petey: "I'll threaten to hurt the whole team if you don't pay me what I demand."

I wonder if he realizes how much more valuable he becomes if he errs on the side of a team-friendly deal. That's leadership that speaks to the whole room, trickles down to the other contracts, and is how you play for a team that's winning. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Ya, and he didn't have a great start . Missing camp is a big deal

Well I assume that you are referring to Boeser since Bo didn't actually end up missing camp. So I'm just curious when you say Boeser "didn't have a great start" after missing camp to start the 2019-20 season are you talking about his 43 points in his first 45 games of the season or are you just referring to his 14 points in 12 games in the month of October to start the season?

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Well I assume that you are referring to Boeser since Bo didn't actually end up missing camp. So I'm just curious when you say Boeser "didn't have a great start" after missing camp to start the 2019-20 season are you talking about his 43 points in his first 45 games of the season or are you just referring to his 14 points in 12 games in the month of October to start the season?

Guy got injured and then the "best player ever had that played a couple dozen games including post season play" love affair started.   So it's all BB fault lol.  TT the most overrated Canuck since Sundin. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So basically Friedman has no idea what’s going on.

Just because he isn’t aware of what is being discussed as an outsider (not insider) doesn’t mean they’re “all over the map”.

I’m sure they’ve presented both players several options in regards to term. They need both contracts to work together though.

They both can’t sign long term deals. I’m sure ideally they would want Petey long term and Quinn on a bridge. Maybe they’re able to find a way to get them both on mid range deals though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Guy got injured and then the "best player ever had that played a couple dozen games including post season play" love affair started.   So it's all BB fault lol.  TT the most overrated Canuck since Sundin. 

When the going gets tough, the Toffoli gets injured.

"Toffoli was dealing with a groin injury during the Stanley Cup Finals, Eric Engels of Sportsnet.ca reports.

Toffoli was notably held quiet in the last six games of the playoffs, posting a minus-8 rating and no points in that span."

If he were signed, people would have turned on him for getting injured two seasons in a row. He started the Playoffs strong but got injured and was less effective when it counted. He would be getting the "made of glass" crap that people around here like to throw at any player that takes injuries. Instead he's held up as some sort of lost saviour.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

When the going gets tough, the Toffoli gets injured.

"Toffoli was dealing with a groin injury during the Stanley Cup Finals, Eric Engels of Sportsnet.ca reports.

Toffoli was notably held quiet in the last six games of the playoffs, posting a minus-8 rating and no points in that span."

If he were signed, people would have turned on him for getting injured two seasons in a row. He started the Playoffs strong but got injured and was less effective when it counted. He would be getting the "made of glass" crap that people around here like to throw at any player that takes injuries. Instead he's held up as some sort of lost saviour.

Yes it's absolutely ridiculous.   I've been a fan for a long time.   And aside from Sundin who was overpaid and a gigantic waste of cap space, like unbelievably so considering Nonis had to wait all those years for it, and MG comes in like some super hero and does a Mark Messier type deal with all the savings but only one year (6 x 3 was comparable really to 10 x 3 )...I've never seen so many fans get so attached to a player who was barely here.   And it wouldn't have happened if BB didn't get injured.     About the silliest thing i've seen since, Sundin and before that Mark Messier.   

Edit:  How about, instead of spending 10 million back then on ONE player, which now would be a bazillion dollars, we spent 5 on 2 which now would be like 9 million on 2 players?   Just dumb management.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

I think that they can sign for one year then sign for a long term deal on next off-season becuase there will be a lot of room for that cap space with Luongo's contract coming off the books and they can sign for that space for themselves on top of whatever they get this season.

46 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Petey: "I want to play for team that's winning."

Also Petey: "I'll threaten to hurt the whole team if you don't pay me what I demand."

I wonder if he realizes how much more valuable he becomes if he errs on the side of a team-friendly deal. That's leadership that speaks to the whole room, trickles down to the other contracts, and is how you play for a team that's winning. 

Someone's gotta pay for his Balenciaga and Gucci clothes

21 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Someone's gotta pay for his Balenciaga and Gucci clothes

Maybe the Sedins could have a word…

I was happy they retired when they did but they did have the whole actually “wanting to play for a team that’s winning” thing down. 

Edited by AllWeatherFan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I'm going to say EP will be under 9 and QHs about where you said.  

Hopefully it's long term deals for both if that's the case. 

If Petterson signs for 9, it needs to be long term. Otherwise he needs to remain RFA at contract expiration so we can trade him to whatever team but I don't think he's worth 9 in the next 1-2 years. 

I'm going to stick to my projections of, 3 year bridge deals for each, 7.5 million hit with Pettersson with 9 million in the final year and 6.5 million hit for Hughes with 8.5 million in the final year. In the final year of the deals, they will negotiate and sign both of them to maximum 8 year term, Pettersson, probably around 11 million, Hughes 9.5 - 10 million.

• Upvote 1

With all the talked of a bounce back year by our players, you would think that EP and QH would put some pressure on getting a deal done in order to attend training camp and come into the season fully prepared. It'll look bad on the players if they miss training and have another crap season. The agent probably could care less - he gets paid regardless. Negotiations "being all over the place" is kind of difficult to understand as you would think that there would be only so many scenarios.... 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

So basically Friedman has no idea what’s going on.

Just because he isn’t aware of what is being discussed as an outsider (not insider) doesn’t mean they’re “all over the map”.

I’m sure they’ve presented both players several options in regards to term. They need both contracts to work together though.

They both can’t sign long term deals. I’m sure ideally they would want Petey long term and Quinn on a bridge. Maybe they’re able to find a way to get them both on mid range deals though.

If they are not taking term, what what hell else are they talking about? There is a certain amount of cap space they have.  How could is possibly be complicated?

• Cheers 2