The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

On a side note sounds like Benning will bring in at least one player on a PTO. Says they have a real shot to make the team.

Demers? Vatanen? Staal? Galchenyuk?

I heard it as "IF we bring in a pto, we want them to have a real shot" as in that's their philosophy, not necessarily the current state of affairs. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

I heard it as "IF we bring in a pto, we want them to have a real shot" as in that's their philosophy, not necessarily the current state of affairs. 

Sounds like that means no PTO, because the guy wouldn’t have a “real shot” to make the club.  Really, looking at our projected roster, and the youth and AHL guys, there aren’t any spots for PTOs.  Our depth of talent is the best it’s been since 2011/12.  Likely it’s better, because we have youth now pushing for spots we didn’t have back then.  This is likely the most depth we’ve ever had.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like that means no PTO, because the guy wouldn’t have a “real shot” to make the club.  Really, looking at our projected roster, and the youth and AHL guys, there aren’t any spots for PTOs.  Our depth of talent is the best it’s been since 2011/12.  Likely it’s better, because we have youth now pushing for spots we didn’t have back then.  This is likely the most depth we’ve ever had.  

I think it'll depend on if they need fill ins for 40 and 43. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

On the same hand isn’t he kind of defending his own play?

I mean he played for an even worse team and his two way play was also suspect.

Yeah, there’s a lot to unpack. Not only is he trying to help his brothers negotiations but also he’s setting up his own when his contract is up after this season.  

• Cheers 1

Part of me says "good, at least they're training".

The other part says "you should be here, bonding with your teammates".  We have some great new additions on the team and it's making things a little disjointed.  Better if everyone can be on the same page.  At least in the same city.

I'm so over all this (she says as she frantically scrolls for SOMETHING.  ANYTHING).

• Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Your mind has been tainted to turn everything into an anti-Benning argument.  Sorry, I thought we were going to have a reasonable conversation.  

Good luck out there! 

Jb went all in this summer trading more first rders away to put a win now team together.

He has no choice he can’t afford not to have both hughes and ep in the line up this club won’t win without the..they are the teams best two players.

it would be a disaster for JB to start the season if one or both is not in the line up. He hung onto to his job by a thread could you imagine no ep no hughes some think I’m harsh wait till fans are back in the arena I’m sure the masses  will be kind and understanding.  ( didn’t a plane with a banner get hired)  
You think people are paying to see Pearson or poolman.a Combined 5+ mill. Yup they are depth yes we need players like this and yes in September these types of players can be found CHEAP and usually on one year deals. 
this teams been terrible players don’t usually take less money to join/stay with a team that doesn’t win. 

Do you really disagree? 

blame players for not maximizing their earnings they didn’t set the market value gms did. 

In eight years 9 mill for ep could be a bargain. 
he’s a 22 year old point per game top line Center,  he sell tickets and merchandise he want to win. 
I rather see them take a chance on a 22 year old super star that giving out 6 years to 30 year old has beens. 

• RoughGame 4

If Petey and Hughes miss camp the entire season could be derailed  before it even starts. These guys are going to need time to gain chemistry with their new teammates. Considering we're likely a bubble team as is, if we start the season going 2-8 or something because Petey and Hughes held out and weren't able to learn how to play with their new teammates, it could be the difference between making the playoffs and missing out. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -DLC- said:

OK, them's fightin' words.  Cute that he talks about our team being one of the worst...yet they finished well above the Devils and their measly 45 point season (and we had our star player out, THE worst schedule in the league and the absolute worst bout of COVID).  

He needs a good hip check this year.

jackass should have just kept his mouth shut on that one. His comment doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

On the same team    Edler 32,2% o zone starts  -8       Schmidt 34.9% O zone starts   -7 

Hamonic 52% O zone starts -3    Hughes 62.2 O zone starts -24

He's basically blaming Quinn's team-mates for his below average defensive play. He's also suggesting that his defensive play shouldn't be considered in negotiations and his offence should be the main factor in comparison to other players.

Makar is a better all around player so Quinn doesn't measure up. Makar was a +17 with 63.1 O zone starts. He also has 94 hits in 101 games to Quinn's 26 hits in 129 games.  He's more physical and a better defender. That should definitely be considered in negotiations.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

My problem with them holding out is them missing preseason.

Those games are the best time for Green to experiment with lines and pairings.

This season more than ever we need to make sure we have options there. Like can Podkolzin play with Petey? Can Miller center a line? Who does Garland have the best chemistry with? Is Hughes best partner Hamonic/Poolman/Schenn? Is OEL and Myers a good duo?

Those questions are hard to answer when two of your most important players are missing.

These two better be ready to sit in front of the camera every post game, Think media is rough on a elc? Oh these two got another thing coming. Especially if they miss any camp.