The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

I understand that, but  these contracts do not seem to ever go down, so a million does not go far, when it is spread out. 1 million is pretty flat.

Absolutely, like I said not a lot but here is a quote from Daly in the article.

“I think we move, at least our current projections on revenue, move us into a million dollar raise a year starting next year,” Daly told Friedman and Marek. “So I do expect that will kick in. We do have flexibility under our formula — under our agreement with the players’ association — to revisit that to the extent there’s a need to revisit that and perhaps make the increase greater. But certainly in the short-term we’ve been telling our clubs to kind of plan on $1 million increases in the cap.”

Could be more, could be less but the league seems optimistic that the money is going to be coming in this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

When was the last time the NHL even had two stars on a team missing camp over their contracts? Can't imagine this happens too often. And really going to the Michigan game isn't a big deal but the optics looks bad. This is a huge year for the team and all the horses should be ready and I remember Boeser got off to a slow start due to his contract delay. You can see the passion in training camp from all these guy making 750k or thereabouts and then we have these two young guys with blessed talent sitting out for an extra 750k . I get its part of the game but if I'm defending those guys when they take a hit and fighting someone risking my career then well.....let's just say those guys are picking up the cheque after the game or else. LETS JUST GET THEM SIGNED AND PLAY SOME DAMN HOCKEY!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, ohmy said:

When was the last time the NHL even had two stars on a team missing camp over their contracts? Can't imagine this happens too often. And really going to the Michigan game isn't a big deal but the optics looks bad. This is a huge year for the team and all the horses should be ready and I remember Boeser got off to a slow start due to his contract delay. You can see the passion in training camp from all these guy making 750k or thereabouts and then we have these two young guys with blessed talent sitting out for an extra 750k . I get its part of the game but if I'm defending those guys when they take a hit and fighting someone risking my career then well.....let's just say those guys are picking up the cheque after the game or else. LETS JUST GET THEM SIGNED AND PLAY SOME DAMN HOCKEY!!!! 

Petey changed agents to go to QH's agent.  This double hold out is by design from the agent to maximize pressure on the team.

Crappy look for the players though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, TFerguson said:

Is this real?

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I hope not. I really think if it is, it just makes our fan base look bad

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

he's in Michigan, so maybe they'll blame those fans :wacko:

I was respectful!!! Just had to yell because it’s hard to hear over a crowd of 106,000 people even if they’re just a section away. I didn’t mean that I was yelling AT them. Just telling them Vancouver would love to have them back. :lol:

As for if it’s real, I mean I’m just a guy on a message board so you can decide whether to trust me or not haha. I mean, what kinda proof do you want LOL. I’m a senior at UofM that has front row seats that was pleasantly surprised to see Quinn and Elias this afternoon.

Also not that it matters, Maggie Mac Neil was honored at the game today too as she’s a fellow student which I found pretty cool!!!

Edited by Grape

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So what should they be doing? Training hard and bag skating themselves while waiting for the contract resolution to resolve? I mean it make sense for them to enjoy themselves and do some minor workout rather than train hard and risk injury without a contract. They are kids they do what kid does best. Enjoying themselves and party. If they were fringe player looking to make a nhl team make sense to take the risk train hard to get a contract. For them if they get injured while waiting for a contract there will be 0 sympathy from the team nor the fans 

sorry they are not kids,  they are SUPPOSED TO BE ADULTS, remember there is no I in a hockey team, they should be back in Vancouver  and on the ice with their team mates where they belong.  holding out for this long is wrong

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I was respectful!!! Just had to yell because it’s hard to hear over a crowd of 106,000 people even if they’re just a section away. I didn’t mean that I was yelling AT them. Just telling them Vancouver would love to have them back. :lol:

As for if it’s real, I mean I’m just a guy on a message board so you can decide whether to trust me or not haha. I mean, what kinda proof do you want LOL. I’m a senior at UofM that has front row seats that was pleasantly surprised to see Quinn and Elias this afternoon.

Also not that it matters, Maggie Mac Neil was honored at the game today too as she’s a fellow student which I found pretty cool!!!

That’s awesome. Glad you yelled ;-)

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I understand that, but  these contracts do not seem to ever go down, so a million does not go far, when it is spread out. 1 million is pretty flat.

it's going up by 1 every year until the escrow is paid off before we'll see like the 3-4 mil increase per year but by like 3-4 years later the cap would have already gone up prolly 3-4mil. so really it's not that big of a deal especially after next season when the buyouts also fall off

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I don’t see the issue with having a life outside of hockey??? Are they not allowed to enjoy a game of football while not being under contract?

You can talk about optics, but it’s not like they were posting about themselves. This was a photo from the UMich Hockey Instagram account. They’ve also been training here, and so I don’t see the problem with “optics” especially since all of you guys know why they’re here and what they’ve been doing.

It’s also quite standard procedure for our athletic alumni come back for games. NBA/NFL players in the middle of the season just show up to a game when it’s convenient for them and they have contracts. Quinn and Petey don’t even have contracts yet so I find it odd that people are complaining?

Also, for context: Quinn was also honored at the game as a former Wolverine (pretty cool to see 100k+ cheer for him), so that could be the reason he was here, and perhaps Petey just tagged along.

Petey ... Quinn blah blah blah.

Were there any bag skates or bag runs at half?

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

sorry they are not kids,  they are SUPPOSED TO BE ADULTS, remember there is no I in a hockey team, they should be back in Vancouver  and on the ice with their team mates where they belong.  holding out for this long is wrong

again we do not know what is being offered.. they are not under contracts so they have no need to be on the ice. the Canucks owns their exclusive rights, they don't own the players especially ones without contract. we keep throwing them under the bus and say well they want 10-11mil hughes want to be paid like makar etc etc etc. how do we know? maybe it's JB that's unwilling to budge with what HE thinks is a reasonable offer. holding out is nothing new in this league. eg if the market is paying $8-9 dollars per hr for your job but ur company is trying to offer you $6 and unwilling to budge. ya come again i'll hold out too.

44 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Canucks management still stand their ground with RFAs. They’ve been consistent I’ll give them that. It has worked out thus far. It should be interesting to see what happens with these two. 

only coz these are the first big RFA they have to deal with in terms of comparables on the market. it's not like Boeser was going to get a 7-8+ comparable for a bridge. the rfa we had to deal with are not in the same class

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

It’s a business they are maximizing the return for the product. . There might not be an I in team but there in is  individual which is what these guys are when they are working on the business side negotiating what they feel is best for them regardless of what we think. 

and they are free adults to do as they please since they are not under contract they went to a foot ball game and people here are offended or angry geez. 

to me it’s almost the agent playing games pose for a picture showing that your not concerned and not caving. 
I hope they had a good time looks like they did.