The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Calgary @ Vancouver Monday, Sept. 27/21 7:00 PM Abbotsford Centre

Rate this topic

-DLC-

21 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

5'11 190lb's of Rathbone was all it took to knock 6'4 220lb Brett Ritchie on his ass.

Rathbone's stature reminds me of Stecher. He will get pushed around sometimes but as he matures he will be able to hold his own for the most part,  as long as he has a partner that can handle the heavy wall and net position battles well.

Myers should be that partner on the 3rd pairing right now, although defensively he's not ideal. An RD Edler from 2-4 years ago would be perfect IMO

7 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I hate to do this but it’s just a reality check. Juolevi just can’t do this.  He can’t.  

Of course he can, he did a cpl times last at both blue lines.  Can't both OJ and Rathbone play well and make good plays?  Truly, though both are fighting for a spot, they're not really competing against each other persay.  Their icetime allotment is completely different

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course he can, he did a cpl times last at both blue lines.  Can't both OJ and Rathbone play well and make good plays?  Truly, though both are fighting for a spot, they're not really competing against each other persay.  Their icetime allotment is completely different

OJ is clearly the more composed, better defender. But even his shot is strong and accurate. OJ doesn't get PK time for nothing. 

I really like Rathbone, and suggested trying him on LW. 5'11 and 190 isn't small. Smyl and Wendell Clark did quite well. 

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

OJ is clearly the more composed, better defender. But even his shot is strong and accurate. OJ doesn't get PK time for nothing. 

I really like Rathbone, and suggested trying him on LW. 5'11 and 190 isn't small. Smyl and Wendell Clark did quite well. 

Agreed with the bolded. 

Why change him to the wing. AHL can teach him the D he needs to excel. He is still young to make it work and improve. If he cannot get it, then try the switch if you must. It is highly unlikely that they do try him there though

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Why are you pushing for Rathbone to make the team so much? Why not push for whoever makes the team better and be happy with who sticks?

I personally thing OJ will make it because of the team needs on the PK. I can see them both remaining on the team in a 6-7 role that switches off depending on team needs against a specific team

if the team needs to carry 7 d (not 8) for cap reasons, I think OJ has that spot locked down if he can continue to improve each time out, which I think he has. 

I just can't see Benning putting OJ on waivers to give Hunt the 7d spot. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Not sure that the PK is a good indicator of 5v5 defensive play.  There's no icing the puck on the PK.

There are several teams who will trust their 3rd pairing D on the PK but will still shelter them at 5v5.  Pateryn in Minnesota was not even a lineup regular but when in the lineup he would be one of the most used D on the PK.  Same for Tinordi in Nashville who led their team in PK ice time per game but was so often a scratch. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if the team needs to carry 7 d (not 8) for cap reasons, I think OJ has that spot locked down if he can continue to improve each time out, which I think he has. 

I just can't see Benning putting OJ on waivers to give Hunt the 7d spot. 

Juolevi isn't going to improve if he doesn't play somewhere.  Hunt hasn't played in the AHL since the 2016/17 season. He's a real pro who accept his role as extra - he even takes warm ups even if he doesn't play.

• Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

Juolevi isn't going to improve if he doesn't play somewhere.  Hunt hasn't played in the AHL since the 2016/17 season. He's a real pro who accept his role as extra - he even takes warm ups even if he doesn't play.

who says he won't play? Green may go back and forth between OJ and Rathbone depending on the night, or he may even go with 7 d some nights as well. 

my impression so far is that Abby is going to be a pretty good team.

someone should do a poll( I don't know how ):

which team, Vancouver or Abby, will reach 25 wins first?

and since the seasons don't coincide exactly, somehow adjust it by winning percentage or something. 

thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

really like Rathbone, and suggested trying him on LW. 5'11 and 190 isn't small. Smyl and Wendell Clark did quite well. 

I would like to try a 11/7 because of the long season and to avoid finishing so many games with 5 D.

I think 5 D leads to more fatigue and effects goal differential. 

Talent level, there is little drop off losing a 4th line winger to the bottom pairing defense. Going from 12 forwards to 11 is easier than going from 6 to 5 D. It's a long season and one of our main goals is to be healthy for the playoffs. 

Screenshot_20210928_074105.jpg

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I thought OEL was solid and like they said on air hes a faster smoother edler which is big cause he will eat minutes every night

Rathbone showing up and making a case i think it makes sense to start him in abby and have his confidence soar down there until a D injury happens

and im high on lockwood they keep saying hes a 3rd 4th line type guy but i see more hes got speed and a set of hands 

1 minute ago, Filthy McNasty said:

If hamonic doesn’t return than i think schenn would be a good fill full time. OJ and rathbone swapping final spot 

With Abbotsford so close, Bone can play big minutes there from time to time if he’s not getting the minutes up here.  Our D, even without Hughes and Hamonic, is okay (in the short term) because OEL can play big minutes and control the game.  Myers and Poolman can play bigger minutes too.  

OEL, Poolman

Bone, Myers

OJ, Schenn

Hunt

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I would like to try a 11/7 because of the long season and to avoid finishing so many games with 5 D.

I think 5 D leads to more fatigue and effects goal differential. 

Talent level there is little drop off losing a 4th line winger to the bottom pairing defense. It's a long season and one main goal is to be healthy for the playoffs. 

Screenshot_20210928_074105.jpg

This is especially true for the Canucks since Green wants to activate the D and join the rush all the time.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With Abbotsford so close, Bone can play big minutes there from time to time if he’s not getting the minutes up here.  Our D, even without Hughes and Hamonic, is okay (in the short term) because OEL can play big minutes and control the game.  Myers and Poolman can play bigger minutes too.  

OEL, Poolman

Bone, Myers

OJ, Schenn

Hunt

Stylistically I think OJ-Myers, Bone-Schenn work better but hey, you never know until you try. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OEL, Poolman

Bone, Myers

OJ, Schenn

Hunt

I think the jury is still out, but I am mystified by some on here that want Rathbone playing in Abby. Not that +/- is the only metric, but IMO, he is a positive possession player, who drives play and ends up on the plus side of the stats most games. I think he should be given every opportunity to make the team. 

It is all about bottom line............who makes a positive contribution to the team.........meaning who is on for more goals for than against.............

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think the jury is still out, but I am mystified by some on here that want Rathbone playing in Abby. Not that +/- is the only metric, but IMO, he is a positive possession player, who drives play and ends up on the plus side of the stats most games. I think he should be given every opportunity to make the team. 

It is all about bottom line............who makes a positive contribution to the team.........meaning who is on for more goals for than against.............

Yup.  Bone is really good.  When Hughes is back, then OEL’s minutes will come down, so he could PK more.  But we will still need a LSD to PK.  I wonder who Green feels is better on the PK between Bone and OJ?