The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Score craps on the Canucks playoffs chances

Rate this topic

grandmaster

• grandmaster changed the title to The Score craps on the Canucks playoffs chances
7 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I get it's hard to pay attention to every team rather than just going with gut feeling, but damn this has no good analysis at all.  $&!#ting on OEL and the rest of the defense without giving a single inkling on whether he could actually be good, which is looking very good at this point watching him this preseason.

Like all media pundits, they seem to hear one rumour from one person on how the standings are gonna look and are all like yup absolutely Seattle is the third best in the division.  LOL Seattle had 7 shots 5 on 5 against half an AHL squad yesterday...

Yeah, it's rindiculous. No analysis, just saying OEL is a blah blah blah. The guy probably didn't even watch one preseason period featuring OEL, let alone a game.

It's so easy to be a writer these days. No research or hard work is needed. Doing the simple thing of just watching the games and tracking the players isn't even required. Just write what other people are saying and done.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I get it's hard to pay attention to every team rather than just going with gut feeling, but damn this has no good analysis at all.  $&!#ting on OEL and the rest of the defense without giving a single inkling on whether he could actually be good, which is looking very good at this point watching him this preseason.

Like all media pundits, they seem to hear one rumour from one person on how the standings are gonna look and are all like yup absolutely Seattle is the third best in the division.  LOL Seattle had 7 shots 5 on 5 against half an AHL squad yesterday...

Yeah makes me question the credibility of journalism. 

We come here on CDC to listen to amateurs spew and regurgitate what they hear from others on this board. 

We don't need the media to do that as well. 

Clearly he hasn't watched OEL play this year. He looks amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

What's funny is we have some of the most critical ppl here on CDC. Not a peep from the usual critics regarding OEL and a lot of praise from everyone else. There really hasn't been any polarizing views on OEL which leads me to believe there is jot much to criticize. 

That's usually a pretty good sign. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Look at our results under Benning and it's really not that hard to figure out why people/fans outside Vancouver don't see us as a threat.

Maybe we will be that, but a lot of players have a lot to prove before that happens and you can't expect people outside the market to just give us the benefit of the doubt on that.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2197127

The full article link is above. Goes on about each teams chances of beating out the Golden Knights for the Pacific Division. This idiot couldn’t help himself. I hope the Canucks prove him wrong!

I didn’t copy and paste it all but I copied and pasted the part pertaining to the Canucks:

I don't want anything to do with the Canucks (+1400) this season. Their forwards are solid, and I love Thatcher Demko in goal, but I just can't look past their defense core. It is, in a word, horrible. Oliver Ekman-Larsson is a shell of his former self. Tyler Myers is overpaid and overused. Tucker Poolman, Travis Hamonic, and Luke Schenn are a third pairing at best. It's Quinn Hughes, who does have shortcomings defensively, and a bunch of "blah." This team is going to be in tough to make the playoffs, let alone contend for a division title.

:picard:

This is what is written on this forum also but here we believe our offence and OEL will save the day.

So whats the problem?

OEL will have to prove he still got it since his last years in Ariszona and one or two of our defence players need to step up.

This is something we don’t know yet. 

I know I come here and get better analysis from about half the people on the board than almost every media pundit out there.  The only exceptions I really give for our market are Wyatt Arndt who I like for the analytical analysis and Daniel Wagner with Pass It To Bulis who is really good at breaking down specific plays and the overall game.  For overall standpoint about where the team is at, I feel like us on CDC are much more accurate than the normal media pundits with analyzing the overall picture of moving parts in and out of our roster before normal media catches on like in the case of JT Miller.  Yes, there was uproar initially, but after a little time passed during the offseason we took a deeper dive into Miller and I think a lot of us realized he could really be something.  I know I was talking about him that summer as a very similar player to Horvat and look how that ended up.  The media only took half a season to catch up lol.

For example, our right side is a question for sure.  Now most media just say the overall defense is just bad and needs improvements or for the slightly more in touch our right side is very thin and needs someone better.  The people on this board analyze what we could do to improve it (like the people in the waiver wire thread who know a few of the names being waived today) or how to move it around to make best with what we got.  On the boards here we discuss what the best D pairings could be with what we got and what have looked solid, and now after seeing a bunch of preseason games we can say that our defense might not be the hell that completely destroys this team...which is way more than the just straight doom and gloom every spokesperson in the NHL media could ever say.

Edited by Rindiculous
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

42 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The full article link is above. Goes on about each teams chances of beating out the Golden Knights for the Pacific Division. This idiot couldn’t help himself. I hope the Canucks prove him wrong!

I didn’t copy and paste it all but I copied and pasted the part pertaining to the Canucks:

I don't want anything to do with the Canucks (+1400) this season. Their forwards are solid, and I love Thatcher Demko in goal, but I just can't look past their defense core. It is, in a word, horrible. Oliver Ekman-Larsson is a shell of his former self. Tyler Myers is overpaid and overused. Tucker Poolman, Travis Hamonic, and Luke Schenn are a third pairing at best. It's Quinn Hughes, who does have shortcomings defensively, and a bunch of "blah." This team is going to be in tough to make the playoffs, let alone contend for a division title.

I see us make the playoffs, I dont see us contend for division as Vegas will win it. OEL is back to his old self again so this article is talking non sense.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is what is written on this forum also but here we believe our offence and OEL will save the day.

So whats the problem?

OEL will have to prove he still got it since his last years in Ariszona and one or two of our defence players need to step up.

This is something we don’t know yet. 

Yeah our defense is not good, especially if Hamonic doesnt come back soon. Then you have people praising Madison Bowey and wanting him to be on our top 4 when last year he wasnt even a regular in Chicago's D group. Am just hoping Benning somehow replaces Hamonic externally.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I question the Canucks defense too, but as a professional hockey writer, it brings me pain to see some of the language being used (such as "blah") from a platform as big as the Score.

They must have hired a teenager to write for them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

It’s a fair enough criticism, but I think he’s underestimating what OEL will be like in a new environment with new motivation.  Myers is overpaid, but can still hang in the #4 spot if need be and can carry a 3rd pairing.  Hamonic is a #4, not a 3rd pairing guy, and Quinn Hughes should be a little better than last season playing alongside one of Hamonic or Poolman in a 2nd pairing role just as he was in 19/20 (something that the author forgot to mention in his analysis).

Lastly, the influence of Brad Shaw, combined with the addition of two-way forwards such as Dickinson, Garland, and Podkolzin (who have replaced “defense only” forwards such as Beagle, Roussel, and Player Name), should make it far likelier that we maintain much better puck possession (that, plus the fact that we will have TWO elite PMD’s on the back end in OEL and Hughes.....and Rathbone to a certain extent when he gets called up).

Unlike past years, our 2nd line should pose far more of an offensive threat.  In 2019 for instance, Player Name was on the Pearson/Horvat line and so the line operated as more of a shut down line.  Last year, as we all know, we almost had nothing outside of Hoglander-Miller-Boeser once Petey went down with injury.  This season however, any combination of Miller, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander, Garland, and Podkolzin should give us some considerable offensive options.

I don’t mind the author’s analysis as he’s probably an outsider analyzing the Canucks, but I think the Canucks are a little further ahead than he believes.

To his point however, our top two RD’s will need to be corrected.  Poolman on a top pairing is highly risky while you can’t play Schenn or Bowey with Hughes.  Try and trade for Mark Psysk if Hamonic can’t start the season.  See what Buffalo’s asking price is.

This Canucks team is a 4th place divisional / 8th place conference calibre team that will lose in the first round of the playoffs.  An improvement from years past and trending in the right direction, but with more work needed to be done.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1

One of the best things that happened during the Raptors road to the  championship was me winning a lot of money. 

The big US markets and the American analysts couldn't fathom the Raps to continue to win. 

They were sometimes paying out to the tune of 3:1. 

Hopefully, the odds makers are sleeping on the Canucks this year. 

This is the year to maximize on the odds. 

• Cheers 1