The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you think will become the Canucks new "Whipping-Boy" for the 21-22 season ?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

All I really ask for and expect from this team is consistent effort. I want the offensive players to make smart passes, take good shots and make goalies lives hell. I want young players to get minutes and improve their game. I want vets like OEL and Myers to play the game we all know they can. The Edmonton game was a great example. The boys were not perfect but they skated hard, forechecked, knocked Duncan Keith into a different time zone. The points will come, the playoffs will happen (or Green and Benning will be gone) and there is no need for a “whipping boy”. At the very least it is a title that should be deserved instead of assumed. Player Name deserved it, Edler never deserved it. Look at what the players are being asked to do when deciding they suck. AHL defencemen being asked to play every night with a rookie partner are going to make mistakes. This fan base forgets that “draft and develop” includes develop. We won’t win the Stanley by making our players not want to be here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to assume Pearson in the short term, partly for fallout from last season, the last off season, his contract, the Seattle entry draft, the camp, and no points as yet in the first two games.

regards,  G.

46 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm going to assume Pearson in the short term, partly for fallout from last season, the last off season, his contract, the Seattle entry draft, the camp, and no points as yet in the first two games.

regards,  G.

Yes, he's been struggling out there but I'm still hoping that line gets a boost when Boeser is back.  I personally would put Hogs on the line with him and Bo.

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, he's been struggling out there but I'm still hoping that line gets a boost when Boeser is back.  I personally would put Hogs on the line with him and Bo.

Some have suggested that Hoglander with Horvat and Garland doesn't quite work, or at least not yet (I don't recall the specifics).

In an earlier post regarding line ups, I figured that the line up config could be fluid, aside from the center position, and a few of the wingers (eg. Boeser). Pearson/Hoglander would change places depending on who might be a better match up with an opposing line.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1

Two games in and it seems like Green is getting most of the negative attention from fans. Hopefully this continues. Not that I necessarily want Green to be the “whipping boy,” but just that I’d rather see the coach getting the negative attention, and basically shielding the individual players from fan negativity.

Rathbone, however, still seems to be getting dragged at times, but mostly from fans who are sour about him grabbing that 3LD spot, and Juolevi getting traded. We’ll have to see if that rises to “whipping boy” levels or not.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Two games in and it seems like Green is getting most of the negative attention from fans. Hopefully this continues. Not that I necessarily want Green to be the “whipping boy,” but just that I’d rather see the coach getting the negative attention, and basically shielding the individual players from fan negativity.

Rathbone, however, still seems to be getting dragged at times, but mostly from fans who are sour about him grabbing that 3LD spot, and Juolevi getting traded. We’ll have to see if that rises to “whipping boy” levels or not.

There's two different angles for whipping boy status here, only one could be seen as justified.

I would hope that Rathbone can avoid whipping boy status as him being with the Canucks was not his decision. He played well enough that the coaches/management decided to risk keeping him at the NHL level (perhaps to have closer contact with the new coach?), and that made Juolevi expendable (in their view). If the team felt there was a better future by keeping Juolevi around for a while longer, then Rathbone would be in Abbotsford. Fine, this was a hockey decision regarding choice of prospect, and we should all move on from that. Trading Juolevi will perhaps be for the best should Juulsen regain some/most/all of his NHL form, and Lammikko continues to look better than Oreskovich.

Rathbone does "deserve" to be dragged because his defensive play is still underdeveloped. If, in his bottom pairing minutes, he costs the team some points then that shouldn't go without comment. That is on him, and the coaching staff, and if it happens too often then the team should take advantage of Rathbone's waiver exempt status and he should be sent to the AHL, where he would be able to get more TOI to work on his game. If he works things out there, then he should be brought back up. 

Should Rathbone pick up his defensive game, then things would get interesting around here. Should he play as good/better than Ekman-Larsson and/or Hughes, which of the three become expendable should there be need for a trade (like for a RD, or for cap reasons)?

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I would hope that the fans would be smarter than to subject a rookie with high expectations and a lot of pressure on his shoulders to "whipping boy" status. Can't think of a better way to destroy a young player's confidence.

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I would hope that the fans would be smarter than to subject a rookie with high expectations and a lot of pressure on his shoulders to "whipping boy" status. Can't think of a better way to destroy a young player's confidence.

Yeah, when has that ever happened around here... *cough <Tallon> cough*. That kid's greatest failing was that the Canucks lost the spin and got the second pick, behind Buffalo.

regards,  G.

19 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He's also not putting in effort in these games. Right at the moment he's where plays go to die, which is not good.

I had Macewan lined up before we lost him on waivers.  
Now I’m going with a spread.  

I’ll start with Pearson.  
He is such an easy target.   Questionable contract, and he is streaky as anyone in the league.  
When he goes cold, it’s ice cold, and that’s when I’ll poop on him.  

Next will be Green.  
Im a Green fan, but this is the last year I’m going to say that.  This team needs to start producing, and if they don’t, I’m blaming the coach.  

Last off,  Chaisson.  
I just don’t like the guy.   
I didn’t like him when we was an oiler, and I haven’t been given a reason to like him here yet.   He’s got a face you just want to punch. 

Im also going to be blindly supporting Myers. 
Ive been a Myers fan for years and it is getting increasingly annoying to see people trash the guy and totally ignore the good he brings to the team.  
So…. Some ignore the good, I’m gonna ignore the bad.  LOL!

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Im also going to be blindly supporting Myers. 
Ive been a Myers fan for years and it is getting increasingly annoying to see people trash the guy and totally ignore the good he brings to the team.  
So…. Some ignore the good, I’m gonna ignore the bad.  LOL!

As much as I hate bumping this thread (why did you even make this thread @RU SERIOUS, such bad energy)...  

I'm with you on Myers, the guy's good for the rest of the season with me.  Can't wait to hear the Myers chant at the home opener. 

Anyone from Miller, Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman, Lamikko Chiasson....

Probably the one of the first two as folks has a thing with money signs...

Actually hope, we start winning a few, so folks will lay off the players. They have all been fine to start with.

Can understand Millers body language sometimes makes folks wonder, but he often switches on in a second and will probably be amongst our top 3 points producer at the end of the season, if he stays on the top line.