The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

35 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Totally agreed. Rathbone is really showing his holes. I mean I saw them in the preseason. Canucks need to send Rathbone down before his 9 games.

So, the question then becomes, who do the Canucks have to fill Rathbone's place should he be sent down? I don't have a lot of confidence in the LD depth guys available to the team.

I'm assuming, that without some improvements by Rathbone (which I'd like to see, but I'm note so sure that they will come about in the short term), that the Canucks will make a trade for a veteran defensive LD, perhaps a guy on an expiring contract. I'm assuming a pick will be used as bait, and the Canucks would probably also like to dump a contract in the deal. I couldn't venture a guess as to what level of pick would be needed.

What about Thomas Hickey (NYI)? Cap could be a problem, and he has had injury issues in the past. He also couldn't make the Islanders roster with Chara showing up.

Andreas Borgman (Dal). Only $750K cap, cleared waivers. Not a lot of offense, but then that wouldn't be why he's here.

Probably issues with these guys, but they show aspects of the type of player who might be a good, short term pick up.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

So, the question then becomes, who do the Canucks have to fill Rathbone's place should he be sent down? I don't have a lot of confidence in the LD depth guys available to the team.

I'm assuming, that without some improvements by Rathbone (which I'd like to see, but I'm note so sure that they will come about in the short term), that the Canucks will make a trade for a veteran defensive LD, perhaps a guy on an expiring contract. I'm assuming a pick will be used as bait, and the Canucks would probably also like to dump a contract in the deal. I couldn't venture a guess as to what level of pick would be needed.

What about Thomas Hickey (NYI)? Cap could be a problem, and he has had injury issues in the past. He also couldn't make the Islanders roster with Chara showing up.

Andreas Borgman (Dal). Only $750K cap, cleared waivers. Not a lot of offense, but then that wouldn't be why he's here.

Probably issues with these guys, but they show aspects of the type of player who might be a good, short term pick up.

regards,  G.

I say wait till the deadline IF were in a good spot to make the show. A bottom pairing left D isn't going to drag this team to the playoffs by the hair, it could be a slight upgrade we need though. So no use giving up an asset for something unless we need it. 

Jim could pull an Andrew Alberts type move at the deadline if he feels necessary.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Totally agreed. Rathbone is really showing his holes. I mean I saw them in the preseason. Canucks need to send Rathbone down before his 9 games.

He will burn a year of his contract whether he is in the AHL or NHL. Rathbone is in the 3rd and final year of his ELC.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, I saw this a bit ago. I assumed it was due to lingering Covid effects.

regards,  G.

My god. If true, Canucks sure mishandled Juolevi on this one. That said, I am really liking Lamikko.

10 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He will burn a year of his contract whether he is in the AHL or NHL. Rathbone is in the 3rd and final year of his ELC.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. This may be why Rathbone is kept up, plus the extra 500,000 cap if/when he is recalled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

thumbnail_img_6584.jpg

:ph34r::bigblush:

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Poor Juolevi can't catch a break, one of the unluckiest players we've had. In the short term this trade is actually a win for JB but he's always got a chance of becoming an NHLer...

Maybe. Then again, he didn't suffer from freak accidents (unlike Bieksa, if I remeber correctly). Maybe he has just not developed the off-ice attitude that one needs to have the body ready for the highest professional level. Maybe he did neglect flexibility exercises, eating or sleeping habits or preventive strength workouts a bit, which does not directly affect his hockey skills but makes him more susceptible to injury and illness.

I think Rathbone has been playing pretty well for a rookie. The best place for him to develop is playing third pair minutes in the NHL. The pairing with Burroughs is managing to play even 2 way hockey, despite not producing the offense we might have hoped for. This pairing is gaining confidence and chemistry, and short term patience is likely to pay dividends later in the season,  IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Is that Edler?!?:unsure:

Man being a King has really sucked the life out of him. He looked much better in a Nucks jersey.

I'd still see if we can bring him back before the TDL if we are in the playoff contention. He can still help us kill penalties and block shots.

3.5 mil is a bit high so maybe we give something to LA for cap retention.

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Edler-Burroughs

And if Hamonic does come back and we can find cap space, 

Edler-Hamonic is not a bad PK pairing and handle other tough defensive minutes.

And gosh, it's sad to see him in the enemy's colors. I'm sure he's soul is being sucked out of him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

I think Rathbone has been playing pretty well for a rookie. The best place for him to develop is playing third pair minutes in the NHL. The pairing with Burroughs is managing to play even 2 way hockey, despite not producing the offense we might have hoped for. This pairing is gaining confidence and chemistry, and short term patience is likely to pay dividends later in the season,  IMHO.

Yours is a valid opinion and it looks like team management/coaching agrees with you (those jerks :P).

I agree that Rathbone hasn't been horrible, but he hasn't really done much to stand out (including no point production). Being in the NHL may be helpful for Rathbone to develop his game, but what about team needs? How does having Rathbone with the big team help the Canucks (in the short term)? I suspect that, where ever possible, Rathbone's minutes are heavily sheltered, more so than a coach might limit where a veteran bottom six d-man may start a shift. This doesn't help the top-4 get points or keep goals from going in. Further, if Rathbone continues to not get points, might that not hurt his confidence, which might hinder his development?

To my eye, Rathbone would develop just nicely in the AHL, with a call up here and there. The 3LD position could/should be manned by a veteran who plays well and may be relied upon in defensive situations (eg. PK). One possible reason for having Rathbone in the NHL is perhaps that, (with the departure of Edler and Juolevi) the Canucks don't have anyone better to fill that position. And maybe management wishes to avoid criticism by going out and getting a veteran LD. This is not the same as believing in Rathbone's potential and having a desire to develop him. 

Anyhoo, I hope he does well, whether in the NHL or the AHL.

regards,  G.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hickey_(ice_hockey)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Borgman

20 hours ago, Dazzle said:

My god. If true, Canucks sure mishandled Juolevi on this one. That said, I am really liking Lamikko.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. This may be why Rathbone is kept up, plus the extra 500,000 cap if/when he is recalled.

There's no extra 500K if Rathbone is sent down and recalled.  His bonus is a non issue in a demotion/recall because he started the season on the NHL roster.

In LTIR, when a bonus eligible player is demoted, his bonus creates a bonus pool.  That bonus pool can then be used to cover his own bonus when he is brought back up - the bonus pool simply goes back to zero.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

The Canucks seem to have a thing for injury-plagued Finnish d-men. 

Well hopefully that’s now over with this trade.

Salo was litterally bitten by a snake when he was younger. And he was snake bitten his entire career. I wonder if it had some effect on his physical strength.

And he’s Juolevi’s trainer.

I just….

I mean…

… the irony…

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2