The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canadian-based team will be the first to win the Stanley Cup in the future?

Rate this topic

allegend

I stumbled upon an article recently listing the odds for which Canadian-based team 

would be the first to win the Stanley Cup in the future. Edmonton was listed as the

favourite, closely followed by Toronto. Ottawa was actually listed ahead of Vancouver. 

Any thoughts? Predictions?

I'm going with the Canucks - though I do so knowing my own bias.

I think both Toronto and the Oilers continue to struggle with top-heavy teams with deficiencies they cannot seem to overcome. The Canucks are more balanced, with the ability to apply continuous pressure across almost all lines.

• Like 1

I understand them putting Ottawa ahead of Vancouver, as Vancouver is battling with Toronto, Edmonton, etc...during this window, so Ottawa will have the best chance in the next window.

I don't get the love some (Sportsnet panel especially) have for Winnipeg. Helly is great, but he hasn't wowed anyone during the playoffs, and their top guns don't tend to do great either. They did improve their defence, but I don't think that's enough to put them over the hump. 

to be honest, the leafs have the hardest route to make the cup final. They have to go through Bruins, Wash, Islanders, Tampa, Florida, Columbus on their side of the draw. I know they don't have to beat them all, but a good portion of them.

Edmtn and Vancouver realistically have to get thru Vegas, Colorado, Dallas and each other. 

no matter which team it is, it's going to take a couple of good upsets along the way ie: like when the Kings placed 8th and then won.

Toronto and Edmonton have to prove that they can win ONE round first. 

It's really hard to say, there are a number of Canadian teams who are near the end of their rebuilds and are now into refining roster.

Toronto needs to move one of their big 3 to improve team depth and defense.

Edmonton needs to improve defensive depth and goal to really be a contender

Canucks need to improve overall defense balance, but we have a lot of other pieces.

4 hours ago, allegend said:

I stumbled upon an article recently listing the odds for which Canadian-based team 

would be the first to win the Stanley Cup in the future. Edmonton was listed as the

favourite, closely followed by Toronto. Ottawa was actually listed ahead of Vancouver. 

Any thoughts? Predictions?

It's tough to say.  A few years back, I actually really liked Calgary's chances as I felt that their tight internal cap structure + the emergence of Matthew would help them take the next step.  They seem to be having some locker room issues however.

Toronto, pre-Tavares signing, looked promising to me as well, but then they completely blew their internal cap structure.

Ottawa has some good young pieces but retaining talent long term has always been a problem for them.   The Oilers have McDrai obviously, but I still see too many question marks on D and in net.  Montreal are trying to minimize the damage done from this past half year with their roster turnover, but I'm not sure if it will be enough.  The Canucks are top 10 in almost every category but their major weakness on their right side D and penalty killing could prove to be too much.  I'll also need to learn more about Benning's cap strategy in these coming years in order to gauge as to what extent it will be possible for the Canucks to take the next step.  

In answering this question, I might have to go with the Winnipeg Jets.  Dubois should be able to rediscover this form this year while the additions of Schmidt, etc. should help them.  Winnipeg's blend of size and speed always gives them an opportunity, and I don't recall seeing any future cap complications with their team (though I could be wrong here - I haven't checked their cap situation in quite sometime).   Winnipeg also has the 2nd best goalie in the league.

My prediction is Winnipeg....and then the Canucks will win it directly after them.  :-p

Edited by Patel Bure

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Not sure, but if Arizona wins before any other Canadian teams, that'll be the day I stop watching hockey.

Arizona winning before any other Canuck team would be the equivalent of Chuck Sherman from American Pie getting laid before any of the main cast.  

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:25 PM, timberz21 said:

Not sure, but if Arizona wins before any other Canadian teams, that'll be the day I stop watching hockey.

What'll happen is Arizona will move to Houston, and then Winnipeg will fold again and move to Arizona and win the cup the year after they move.