The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

37 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Completely disagree.  Miller is a gem. Just what this team has needed for years.

Laughable that anyone would promote him as trade bait at this point.  He's only led the team in points his first year here, then a close second to Boeser the next. This season, so far, he is tied for first with Garland.

And its not only the point production, it IS that ornery attitude that is precisely why we need him. Again, I have to laugh at posters who cry about some Swedish influence of passivity and lack of emotion. Then we finally get a more passionate player who plays with his heart on his sleeve, and its......"oh my lord..I think I have the vapors.  Trade him immediately so I don't have to watch a man get angry about losing!"

You know Bo has smashed a few sticks.  Is he next on the hit list?

when things are going good, MIller is great, but when things aren't, he pretty much gives up and I think you know that.  Again, I've played with many a MIller and that kind of attitude can spoil a team in a hurry.  I don't see him as being a core player and likely won't be here beyond his current contract, so I'd be inclined to move him for a legit top 4 rhd.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

On 10/20/2021 at 12:09 PM, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

Completely useless thread.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

when things are going good, MIller is great, but when things aren't, he pretty much gives up and I think you know that.  Again, I've played with many a MIller and that kind of attitude can spoil a team in a hurry.  I don't see him as being a core player and likely won't be here beyond his current contract, so I'd be inclined to move him for a legit top 4 rhd.  

I would agree to a point.  I do think his frustration can be a detriment.  When he lets it affect him too much at times he can look like he "gives up" but I think its just that he lets some mistake he made get to him which then snowballs into another mistake.  He can learn how to control that better.

But he's a leader on the team. He is one of, if not the best, point producer on the team! How is he a hindrance?  I would think in the dressing room, any player that has any signs they will coast through a game, will avoid catching Miller's eye. Personally, I think that kind of fear in the dressing room is a good thing.

We have enough polite, constrained, Swedish and other nationalities on the team. We also need a mix of a few that play more on the edge. And those kinds of personalities usually are more involuntarily honest in showing their emotion. Kesler was more in the Miller mold.

What is the opposite of that?  A Loui Player Name? Point production seems at least partially, connected to passion for the game.

Saying that, any player is tradable. For a legitimate top 4 rhd? Especially knowing we can't re-sign every core forward, I'd be open to that down the road.

• Vintage 1

80-90 point centre, who is also extremely good defensively.  That’s a super important guy to have as our elite number one centre.  He’s in the level with prime Toews, Bergeron, ROR, Kopitar kinds of guys.  Those are guys who win Cups because they play as hard (and often harder) without the pucks as they do with it.  

I think he needs to adapt his game a bit. In his rookie year nobody had the book on him yet and he thrived. Now teams know if you relentlessly check him hard and take away his time and space you can contain him and prevent him from making you look silly. The Sedins are prime example of having to adapt their style of play to really thrive. Remember, It took them a few years.

I think a lot of it is in his head, too. He gets frustrated when things aren’t going his way and it forces him to try and do too much thus trying low percentage passes and plays turning the puck over. Also, he isn’t shooting the puck as much as he used to. It’s his best weapon and I hope he starts using it more, especially on the PP. 

Edited by Pickly

On 10/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

I  guess the short answer is no, but the double negative is confusing me a bit.

He's a very talented, bordering on mercurial, two-way centre with a few glaring deficiencies in his game that make him both exciting and frustrating to watch at times. Maybe some people's expectations were raised too much by his rookie season, but (without actually bothering to check the stats) it's very rare for a player to score at around a ppg in their first season and then improve at the same rate as the rest of their cohort.

If you thought he'd be close to Gretzky then yeah I suppose he's not the play you expect. Unless it was Brent Gretzky, if so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say EP is better.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

He's statistically identical to Eichel.

Sample size! Give him some games to get readjusted, he was off with his wrist injury for a long time. He'll shake off the rust and be in peak form soon enough.

Petey plays without the puck at an elite level, which balances his not scoring as many points as some other top centres.  We need to realize the defensive minded centres (who also put up points) are ones who win Cups.  Other than Kucherov, what other top point producing centre wins Cups?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Petey plays without the puck at an elite level, which balances his not scoring as many points as some other top centres.  We need to realize the defensive minded centres (who also put up points) are ones who win Cups.  Other than Kucherov, what other top point producing centre wins Cups?  

Crosby

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

80-90 point centre, who is also extremely good defensively.  That’s a super important guy to have as our elite number one centre.  He’s in the level with prime Toews, Bergeron, ROR, Kopitar kinds of guys.  Those are guys who win Cups because they play as hard (and often harder) without the pucks as they do with it.  

That’s been the problem with EP so far. He doesn’t give a $&!# without the puck and barely gives a $&!# with it.

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You know Kucherov isn’t a center right?

On 10/20/2021 at 9:09 AM, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Jake Gyllenhaal Love GIF

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

. He is one of, if not the best, point producer on the team! How is he a hindrance? 

minus 1 so far this season, and a minus 7 last year.

That said, points and plus minus aren't everything; where, when and how those stats happen is the part that counts.

Last season Miller was brutal at the beginning of the year, but got back on track as the season progressed. He, for the most part, got out of his petulant funk, and had a decent year over all. This year is looking ok, but there have been a couple  of instances of brain cramp, and poor 'sportsmanship". Hopefully that will be the last we see.

Putting all that aside, Miller is still the likeliest guy to be moved.

He is worth a good return

His contract is aging, and I doubt he signs for less than an extra couple of mill, which is too rich for the Canucks imo.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I always thought of Petey as more of a Datsyuk. The defensive ability, the dekes, the offensive creativity, and the skating edge work.

He's also still young and he'll be more consistent as time goes on.

Well you have to play a 2 way game if you want to win, the best offensive teams are also good defensively. It's hard to score when you're stuck in your own zone.