The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks VS Ducks | November 9th, 7pm

Rate this topic

MattJVD

6 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Too early, to judge the trade but looking good right now.

I must disagree. The only way Garland/OEL doesn’t become a fantastic trade for us is if both players suddenly stop playing like they are now. A top 6 rental for just the playoffs these days is worth a 1st round pick alone. A top 4 D is worth a 1st + as a playoff rental. We have both of them for 5 and 6 entire seasons, but only paid a 1st, 2nd and 7th for both plus shed cap plus AZ is paying part of OEL’s cap hit.

If each player only plays 1 season with us and puts up 50 points and 20-30 points respectively, but never plays again after that then the trade would still be an absolute fleecing.

2 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I must disagree. The only way Garland/OEL doesn’t become a fantastic trade for us is if both players suddenly stop playing like they are now. A top 6 rental for just the playoffs these days is worth a 1st round pick alone. A top 4 D is worth a 1st + as a playoff rental. We have both of them for 5 and 6 entire seasons, but only paid a 1st, 2nd and 7th for both plus shed cap plus AZ is paying part of OEL’s cap hit.

If each player only plays 1 season with us and puts up 50 points and 20-30 points respectively, but never plays again after that then the trade would still be an absolute fleecing.

As much as I love the trade, this is just not true.  I would have been livid if we had Toffoli and Edler-esqe players for ONLY one year and miss out on a guy like Cole Sillinger plus whatever magic Benning could work in next year's second round like he has the last few years who would be so much better for the health of the future of the squad.  We'd have barely any assets after this year.

6 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

As much as I love the trade, this is just not true.  I would have been livid if we had Toffoli and Edler-esqe players for ONLY one year and miss out on a guy like Cole Sillinger plus whatever magic Benning could work in next year's second round like he has the last few years who would be so much better for the health of the future of the squad.  We'd have barely any assets after this year.

I wouldn't like the trade in that case, bit it would still be better than full market value.

31 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

No it wouldn't be an absolute fleecing. You would have $12M eating cap.

Also you can't compare deadline deals to offseason deals. Different beast.

Having disagreed with your analysis I don't disagree on your conclusion. :)

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just thinking out loud here. Our PP and PK practice against each other, and since our PP has been completely one dimensional and stationary to this point, our PK would be used to playing against said $&!#ty PP. So theoretically, if we successfully turn our PP around and it starts to look like an NHL caliber PP again, our PK would then get to practice against a much better PP, which should in turn help the PK improve. 

Right?

Dallas Cowboys O-Lineman Tyron Smith (Top 3 in his position) said that getting schooled daily in practice against Demarcus Ware(future HoF) helped him become one the best lineman in the game. There are lots of players from every sport who claim that practicing against their elite teammates directly impacted their success and made them better player. I would say the same would be mostly true in Hockey. Success breeds success.

Though there are some issues to address, example being that guys like Miller play the PP and PK therefore Miller cant practice against the best PP we can ice since him being our leading scorer means our PP isn't the best we can ice if he's practicing on the PK, the same is true for a guy like Horvat. Also you don't want to be as physical in practice eg: hitting your own teammates and blocking shots. 

Hockey is a difficult sport regarding the multiple roles and jobs a single player will have to do in the ice depending on if your in the d-zone to o-zone etc.

The difficulty to have your best PPers and PKers practice against each other probably hampers the ability to improve in practice like pure positional players in other sports can.

That said I do believe improving our overall play and especially special teams should help, especially new guys and young players when practising, by how much? Who knows, only guys that have been in the NHL can say for  certain.

• Cheers 1

Can they make it 2 in a row??? will the PP be as good as last game or disappear again? can the PK finally not give up a goal? can they finally score first ?  will the line blending finally stop??? so many questions!!! soon to be answered.... GCG...

Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks
10:00 PM ES

REFEREES

Brad Meier #34
BM34.jpg
Corey Syvret #23
2021_CS23.jpg
Games ’21-22 10 9
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 51 / 9 32 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1408 / 97 72 / 0
First NHL Game 10/23/99 4/4/18
Birthplace Dayton, OH Millgrove, ON
Goals/Gm 5.5 (36) 6.3 (5)
PP/Gm 3.2 (9) 2.5 (41)
Penl/Gm 3.7 (11) 3.1 (39)
PIM/Gm 8.6 (14) 7.1 (38)
% of Penl on Home 46.0% (40) 48.0% (30)
More Penl on Rd % 16.0% (4) 9.0% (8)
Home Win % 59.0% (9) 55.0% (18)
Home Rec. 30-21 17-14
OT/SO Games 16.0% (35) 16.0% (35)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2019-20 29% 41% 30% 32% 42% 27%
Team Records 19-20 18-19 17-18 19-20 18-19 17-18
ANA 2-3 1-4 2-2 0-0 0-0 0-0
VAN 2-3 1-1 4-2 1-0 0-0 0-0

LINESMEN

Bevan Mills #53
BM53.jpg
Brad Kovachik #71
BK71.jpg
Games ’21-22 11 10
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 54 / 5 46 / 2
Career Games (Reg/PO) 229 / 5 1637 / 175
First NHL Game 11/29/16 10/10/96
Birthplace Surrey, BC

Woodstock, ON

Meier rigged quite a few games last year, and was the piece of garbage who thought it was ok to let Forbert go after Hoglander.  Not expecting this crook to conduct himself appropriately tonight.

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Except that we are missing Sutter and Motte, arguably our best PK'ers which seems to be a big reason why we are losing games. You instead of acknowledging that, wrote them off as some 4th liners. Then, you added, or implied, that Hamonic was not very important and said some 3-4 D man. He is also a key piece to our PK. So, in actual fact our missing pieces are important not just meh.

If we have no one else who can PK at an nhl level in the absence of those 3 players then clearly the GM should have brought in (and the coach should have kept) a couple of guys who could since those absences were known before training camp, don’t you think?

Instead, they focused on a PTO guy who can stand in front of the net on the pp and not much else and a bunch of plugs who apparently can’t pk.

• Cheers 2