The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks VS Ducks | November 9th, 7pm

Rate this topic

MattJVD

Huge night early season for us.  Every team in our division plays, including 3 interdivision games.  We could be in a wild card spot, or dead last in the division at the end of the night.  We really need a win tonight, with 3 of 4 against Colorado and Vegas up next.

I like getting Halak in, he has been solid in both games.  

I really hope we are able to continue with the Power play that we had the other night against Dallas.  Who would have ever thought that motion and attempting to lose you man would lead to chances.   

Hoglander is due for a big game.

59 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

True. Every time they are on the PK I can see a goal coming, if it were not for Demko we'd be in the doggy do.

They are just way too static, reacting to puck movement instead of being proactive and making life difficult for the PP team. We just seem to let them get set up and then rely on shot blocking.

Oh, and when you get a chance, get that fxxxxxx puck out of there. Don't pass to your team mate and give him the job.

Yeah no tip passes or sneaky little cross ice passes through the middle. Just slam it out. 

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Hoglander is due for a big game.

No doubt. He's been playing well. I think he's on the cusp of breaking through with a big game like you've said. Let's hope it's against Gibson and the Ducks tonight. 

Gonna be tough to get two points tonight. Gibson's been playing out of his mind. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

OMG is this ever true. I cringe every time I see us passing the puck in our own zone on the PK. Especially Myers. :lol: I always ask the TV what are you guys hoping to accomplish with that, are you going to set up a goal from there or something? JUST GET IT THE FXXXXX OUT! :frantic:

I think that one of the Canucks biggest problems to work on, happens during one second, or even less.

That is the one second ticking immediately after they recover the puck in their own zone on the PK.  Sometimes even happens 5 on 5.  I don't know how much they practice how to react in that one second. But it seems like other teams are better managers of that second. Its like they either think they have more time than they actually have, and get easily checked off the puck again. Or just panic and pass it directly back to the other team.  Or as you pointed out, try and make some risky pass inside their zone to a team mate to deal with it....who many times is covered by the opposition.  This phenomenon is deadly if they've been chasing the puck carriers for over a minute already, get their one opportunity, and lose the puck again. 

Another thing, related to my second example, sometimes it seems like the only play they think they have, or are coached to have, is to just reactively, and blindly, make a weak clear up along the boards....directly to the opposition D on that point. Which starts another flurry of shots.  I realize that play is considered the "safe" play vs. throwing the puck up the middle. And we are not the only team that employs that too much. And sometimes there is no time to think of doing anything else. But surely there is some third option, other plays the coaches could imprint on them through practice. Don't ask me what that is, I'm only a nob on CDC.

Other coaches most likely watching game tape, when they evaluate how aggressive vs. defensive of a game plan they will employ against the Canucks, always will lean more aggressive...send in two forecheckers more often for instance....because they can see this team has this one second coaching deficiency. And can be easily rattled in our own end.  Its our Achilles heel.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

You're right. No team is perfect. But championship teams come close to perfection as there is. 

This version of the Canucks are better, but they still have some holes they need to fill. Like a quality RHD. A third line centreman who can win an actual face off. Maybe one more top six player to improve the quality of the depth of the team. 

Yup, well said. I try to view the team as if I'm on it. lol I try to comment as I would if I was speaking directly to the players, or they could hear me, like we're working toward a common goal. You know constructive criticism with a touch of respect for the guys putting out 100%. The amount of people calling our players dogs$it or AHL level are pretty rude and it's totally misplaced in a problem solving exercise.

I'd love to be there when a couple of CDC'ers give their wise ass opinions directly to a guy like Miller, or even Greener. How many name callers here would be simply over their heads having a hockey discussion with him? Likely 90%. I guess I need thicker skin though. I just don't think people would be so quick to act like that in a real life situation.

As far as the year and team I'm not ecstatic but we're definitely sitting in a reasonable position with a lot of opportunity and I'm enjoying it way more than last year. I still like the fact that I think we have more room to gel than other teams. It's just a matter of time until all the new parts get used to their place.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I always liked Chubbie's game. 3rd liner if I remember correctly. 

Brown bags full of cash aren't restricted to the Liberal Party of Canada. :) I had a buddy who worked in SE Asia and was in Tokyo to collect money owed his company. On his way back out to the airport his taxi stopped, the cabbie rolled the back window down, and a guy walked off the curb and threw a brown bag into the back seat where my buddie was sitting. Yup, full of cash. Another time a client they were doing business with in China came into their office in Brisbane with an attache case full of cash. Over a 100 grande if memory serves. Watch that Barry Seal movie. A lot of truth there. 

Yeah it’s weird, even in Japan today cash is still “literally King”.  Still, not relying on debt (credit cards) is not necessarily a bad thing.  

44 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah no tip passes or sneaky little cross ice passes through the middle. Just slam it out. 

definitely no cross ice passes. I wonder why players think they could get away with this and why this is a good idea? 

Those passes are usually picked off and the other team has a quick counter attack. 

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah it’s weird, even in Japan today cash is still “literally King”.  Still, not relying on debt (credit cards) is not necessarily a bad thing.  

That is weird, I thought Emperor Naruhito was literally king in Japan.

shooting star GIF

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The amount of people calling our players dogs$it or AHL level are pretty rude and it's totally misplaced in a problem solving exercise.

There have been times I've called some of our players and their play dogsh$t, though. 

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd love to be there when a couple of CDC'ers give their wise ass opinions directly to a guy like Miller, or even Greener. How many name callers here would be simply over their heads having a hockey discussion with him? Likely 90%. I guess I need thicker skin though. I just don't think people would be so quick to act like that in a real life situation.

I think people/fans are a lot more "cold" when it comes to these boards. It's more unfiltered. Especially on these online forums and boards where people can say anything they want without having to face the players they're directing their criticism to. I think that's partly why even the media when they ask their questions, they're trying to ask the tough questions in a respectable manner. Some media members don't do this, but I think most do. 

If many of us were given face time with the actual players in person, I think it's definitely a lot toned down with regards to our unhappiness and venom. 

tom hardy sony GIF by Venom Movie

^ That's us on these boards 

37 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not sure but he seems to be doing well ?   Ofcourse, Arizona could had gone with someone else.   

I think Geunther (sp?) was probably the best player available at 9. 

Edited by N4ZZY

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

You have the right to your opinion but I think it's obvious that some of you guys haven't actually played hockey or sports competitively. One of the greatest things about sport is your constant evolution as a player and a team, especially turning it around after a slump. That's what it's all about, correcting mistakes and getting better as a team. This is like people writing off the team 3 days ago and now we're 2 wins away from being a top 10 team. Complete snap judgements. Some people have hard time understanding you won't always be in first place I guess.

The NHL is very fluid and the landscape changes radically during the year. Fans are doing a disservice to players like Dickinson, and the team in general by making these proclamations at this point of the season, and 12 games into Dickinson's tenure.

I sure wouldn't want to be your teammate if that's how you welcome a new player to the team.

I guess we'll all be on Dickinson watch now tonight. :mellow: The pitchforks are out. :lol:

So.....for someone to state that Dickinson has been a bust so far or hasn’t played anywhere near up to expectations is a sign that one hasn’t played competitive hockey or pro sports.  With respect, sounds to me like “some people around here” haven’t played hockey, competitive sports of any kind, or taken a logic 101 course in primary school.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

I agree. How good is the 9th overall pick Dylan Guenther we gave up going to be?

5 hours ago, #Canucks said:

But would the Canucks have drafted Dylan?

Based on rumblings around the draft the Canucks were really high on Sillinger. He seems like a classic Benning pick too.

It’s early but that pick looks like it would have been a home run. Big center who has put up 6 points in 10 games for Columbus at 18.

That being said being an Ohio boy may be factoring into his success more than it would have here. Who knows?

I’m more than happy getting Garland though. He’s bringing new life to our offense.

• Cheers 1