The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

First off we ain’t getting Necas.

Kotkaniemi coming back is fine. His actual cap hit is $4.8M for the next 8 years, and he’s only 22 years old. He’s struggled a bit but he has genuine top 6 upside as a 2B 3A center, hopefully more.

Kotkaniemi would also have to be coming the other way for cap purposes.

Kotkaniemi, either Morrow or Nikishin, Drury, and a 2023 1st round pick. 

Nikishin is a Shea Weber clone, left handed. He’s putting up insane numbers as a defenseman in the KHL and is 21 years old. 

Completely agree on all fronts.  This is why this works perfectly for for Carolina (Ability to re-sign Bo with Kotkaniemi's cap coming to us) and us, to fill three specific needs in our future lineup.

I have been so focused on Morrow, that I didn't even know who Nikishin was.  Although he's an LD, he looks like the real deal! Wow

• Like 1

Report: Six frontrunner teams in Bo Horvat sweepstakes emerge, Canucks still not allowing extension talks (msn.com)

Report: Six frontrunner teams in Bo Horvat sweepstakes emerge, Canucks still not allowing extension talks

Once again, Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman began the 32 Thoughts podcast with a conversation about the Canucks, and more specifically, Bo Horvat.

Report: Six frontrunner teams in Bo Horvat sweepstakes emerge, Canucks still not allowing extension talks
Report: Six frontrunner teams in Bo Horvat sweepstakes emerge, Canucks still not allowing extension talks© ? Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Report: Six frontrunner teams in Bo Horvat sweepstakes emerge, Canucks still not allowing extension talks (msn.com)

Once again, Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman began the 32 Thoughts podcast with a conversation about the Canucks, and more specifically, Bo Horvat.

Report: Six frontrunner teams in Bo Horvat sweepstakes emerge, Canucks still not allowing extension talks© ? Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

Six frontrunners means there's no frontrunner imo. 

• Haha 1

JR needs to hit a homerun in a Horvat trade. Bo is in his prime, on pace for 50 goals, scored 31 last season. Captain, 2-time All Star, great at faceoffs. 

If it's just for one young player who's struggling and some plugs who are about to turn UFA, I'll be really disappointed. The return has to include a very good prospect+ IMO. Preferably a C or D.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Trading him to Seattle would suck, it would have to be an amazing deal.

Keep your friends close and enemies closer..I'm actually ok with Horvat to Seattle. We'd get to see him frequently, and it would help kickstart a rivalry. Chaos is a good thing.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Keep your friends close and enemies closer..I'm actually ok with Horvat to Seattle. We'd get to see him frequently, and it would help kickstart a rivalry. Chaos is a good thing.

Not going to be much of a rivalry. We'll be rebuilding for the next 35 years at this rate. 

• There it is 1

48 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Who can we get from Vegas that can help the team now and free up a few million in cap space?? Whitecloud and picks?? 

Kaedan Korzcak, big rhd that’s just breaking in. Plays more of a defensive game. Think he would be perfect beside Hughes. Stone could be out for a lil while for them to give them cap space. 

Bo for KK, 1st +

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Completely agree on all fronts.  This is why this works perfectly for for Carolina (Ability to re-sign Bo with Kotkaniemi's cap coming to us) and us, to fill three specific needs in our future lineup.

I have been so focused on Morrow, that I didn't even know who Nikishin was.  Although he's an LD, he looks like the real deal! Wow

Yup, happily take him or Seeley as part of the deal coming back. Particularly with the added risk of JK's deal.

1 hour ago, combover said:

the offers were crap he’d have been a fool to accept them. 
they offered him what he watched Louie Erickson do to get paid!! 

lolololololol less value to the team than boeser. Ha. 

7-8 mill is exactly he should sit 

they offered him LESS a pay cut in the summer you think he felt respected by the franchise  hahahahahaha. 

this illusion that Vancouver is this fabulous place where professional athletes will want to come to play meaningless games for less than they could get on winning team is just to funny.

his value is up he’s back to back 30 goal seasons 

hes once again in the top 5 in fo wins 

he taken more faceoffs than any other player 

He’s having a career year 

just like miller did before getting over paid… 

so yeah his values up. 

5.1 mill or 6 mill isn’t even close to realistic of what horvats worth 

those offers tell the player he’s not needed here but we’ll keep you if you want to stay. 

so when other gms call and say we want horvat but since you value him at a 5.1 mill or 6 mill player so the offers should reflect that… 

huh uh oh that doesn’t sound so good does it.

you want a 8 mill player return but for a 5 mill player…  

He will likely get 8m+ in Free Agency, like Eriksson was overpaid in Free Agency sure. Thats what happens come July 1st. I could see the team pushing to the 7m range on Horvat. One thing will help determine the Canucks decision here is the quality of offers and assets they may be getting or discussing going into this weekend. The team may very well feel he is worth more to Vancouver then what they could fetch for him and stretch their numbers.

Horvat is a professional, he knows the process of negotiating is business and isn't going to be hurt or feel wronged by the team when the team and his representatives discuss terms. If he heard 5.1m was offered he would not suddenly think he is not needed and the team is not taking him seriously. Its negotiating. Sure the team may have started too low or even feel they can still salvage something but both sides would know the number is coming up and not get personal or offended by the process.

Vancouver is quite an amazing place absolutely, getting way too pricey but a great city to be in whether it be work, play, live. I would rather players like Petey who are confident and want to be a difference maker on a team and help make Vancouver a winner. Horvat's language speaks the same way. The games are meaningless to those who took the money and could give a $hit. Vancouver is not a dump or place players roll their eyes at, the city and organization is simply competing with 31 other cities, teams and salary obligations.

There is no doubt Horvat is showing his value and yes it is still going up, my point is having a career year on an expiring contract doesn't suddenly change the valuation on a player by NHL people. Yes the agents drool over it for sure. It is a known outlier with players on expiring deals. That is not to say Horvat won't sustain his play moving forward but it is a very real variable.

Gms around the league just like the Canucks management group know Horvat's valuation range. All teams would try and sign him under 8m if they could, right ? I believe from what ive read on these forums the fan base here is seeming to suggest a return for Horvat likely well above what will end up transpiring.

I don't see Wright as on the table in any Horvat deal out of Seattle. I think best case may end up being a Carolina move involving a 1st with Kotkaniemi, maybe a prospect, maybe. But even reading back a bit here people don't seem to like the idea of Kotkaniemi. If Carolina was a target they would also more than likely be talking to Bo first, they are very shrewd in discussing contracts and projecting or thinking longer term. Something Vancouver could work on lol.