The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

I’d like to see us trade Garland to make room for Bo’s contract. I  appreciate his hustle and puck retrieval, but could do without his constant, low % sharp angle shots. I think Hoglander can do everything he does for less $. 

trade Garland for an expiring contract D like Zub at the deadline. 

After the last two games, I’m intrigued to see what we can do with our top 6 intact, and improvements to team defence / PK. 

seems like Quinn has recovered his speed, Bear has been a great partner for OEL, and Myers looks better with 3rd pair duties /

minutes. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I’d like to see us trade Garland to make room for Bo’s contract. I  appreciate his hustle and puck retrieval, but could do without his constant, low % sharp angle shots. I think Hoglander can do everything he does for less $. 

After the last two games, I’m intrigued to see what we can do with our top 6 intact, and improvements to team defence / PK. 

seems like Quinn has recovered his speed, Bear has been a great partner for OEL, and Myers looks better with 3rd pair duties /

minutes. 

Yep. I wouldn’t mind seeing Garland traded. He’s on a good deal, but I don’t see him as part of this core moving forward (or the new core). If he’s traded, I hope that gives the team room to sign Bo. 

This management team is very strange. They seem to have adopted the No Plan Plan. Just like under Benning and Weisbrod. 

I’m frustrated as hell. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. I wouldn’t mind seeing Garland traded. He’s on a good deal, but I don’t see him as part of this core moving forward (or the new core). If he’s traded, I hope that gives the team room to sign Bo. 

This management team is very strange. They seem to have adopted the No Plan Plan. Just like under Benning and Weisbrod. 

I’m frustrated as hell. 

Same owner so same direction.  

I would do Horvat to the Jackets for Johnson, Peeke and a 2nd. I would also move Boeser, Garland, Myers, Pearson and OEL and I would re-sign Kuzmenko, Schenn, Dermott, Bear and Hoglander. 

OEL would be tricky to move but I bet if we threw in a pick or two to the acquiring team as well as retaining $1 Million we could probably move him without as much trouble. I know eating $1 Million for the next half a decade isn't ideal but OEL doesn't jive with the age of our core, which will be built around Podkolzin, Hoglander, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Lekkerimaki. 

Eklund is reporting rumours of Buffalo and Washington being in the mix for Horvat.

From Buffalo it is Dahlin or their 1st pick unprotected (maybe top 3 protection but no protection the next year).  We would have to add in either scenario, but I am ok with that.  it is easier to make a deal with them as they have a ton of cap space and they can also take a player like Myers back if it helped make a deal.

From the Capitals, it is harder as they are totally up against the cap.  It would likely require taking a lot of salary back or laundering money through another team.  Even their top prospects are a little suspect... which is to be expected from a team that has done so well recently.  Lapierre is a nice fit.  Other than that it is picks really. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Eklund is reporting rumours of Buffalo and Washington being in the mix for Horvat.

From Buffalo it is Dahlin or their 1st pick unprotected (maybe top 3 protection but no protection the next year).  We would have to add in either scenario, but I am ok with that.  it is easier to make a deal with them as they have a ton of cap space and they can also take a player like Myers back if it helped make a deal.

From the Capitals, it is harder as they are totally up against the cap.  It would likely require taking a lot of salary back or laundering money through another team.  Even their top prospects are a little suspect... which is to be expected from a team that has done so well recently.  Lapierre is a nice fit.  Other than that it is picks really. 

Bo for Dahlin works.  I pick on Dahlin, but he’s going to be pretty close to an Edler level player.  I’d say it would be Bo signed to an extension for Dahlin.  The Sabres have Powers, who already looks a lot better than Dahlin.  So they are likely wanting to move on from Dahlin and get back a number one centre and new team captain.  

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

LMAO…Eklund….He basically knows nothing and makes stuff up. Might as well say Ballard, Raymond, and a 2nd for Dahlin. If Buffalo is trading Dahlin to us you can be sure that EP40 is heading the other way. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I'd give up Bo+ for Dahlin.

But I don't think Buffalo does.

And seeing that it comes from Eklund, it's obviously full of crap. 

Hey, I heard some guy say that the Oilers will do Draisaitl for Horvat. They believe the chemistry between McDavid and Horvat from that commercial will carry on to the ice.

7 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

minutes. 

Ya or basically garland money to kuzmenko but might be hard to trade him and get no salary back 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably need more than Boeser money if he can keep it up. He's a UFA and a 27 year old one too. Teams will jack up the price.

Yea I don’t think he’s going to just go to a highest bidding team. I think he’s going to want to stay here with Mikehyev. I’m not saying he’s gonna take a big discount but I feel like whatever he signs for it will be fair. 

if he crests 70+ points though yes 100%

which he looks like he can. 

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Yea I don’t think he’s going to just go to a highest bidding team. I think he’s going to want to stay here with Mikehyev. I’m not saying he’s gonna take a big discount but I feel like whatever he signs for it will be fair. 

if he crests 70+ points though yes 100%

which he looks like he can. 

He's also never seen a big payday like the potential one he's gonna get with also being his last chance at a big payday.

This is also the tweet his agent made after he scored the OT winner.

There's teams with more Russians and prominent ones than Mikheyev. Not sure that'll be as big as a factor as money. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

He's also never seen a big payday like the potential one he's gonna get with also being his last chance at a big payday.

This is also the tweet his agent made after he scored the OT winner.

There's teams with more Russians and prominent ones than Mikheyev. Not sure that'll be as big as a factor as money. 

JR calls Bruce get kuzmenko off PP1! 

haha yea I heard that on the radio. I understand if we don’t pay him he’ll leave. But he did pick here with signing and staying as his preference in a perfect world. 

so hopefully it’s works out best for us and him 

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

JR calls Bruce get kuzmenko off PP1! 

haha yea I heard that on the radio. I understand if we don’t pay him he’ll leave. But he did pick here with signing and staying as his preference in a perfect world. 

so hopefully it’s works out best for us and him 

Might have to make uncomfortable trades to make that happen and to try to keep Horvat if you think that as well. 

Bear, Hog, Dermott all RFAs. Schenn, Horvat, Kuzmenko, Burroughs all UFAs. 11.8M in cap next year We have potentially 2,082,500M in cap bonuses that will count towards the cap next year so are actual cap hit could be under 10M.

It won't be a pretty situation to figure out.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Might have to make uncomfortable trades to make that happen and to try to keep Horvat if you think that as well. 

Bear, Hog, Dermott all RFAs. Schenn, Horvat, Kuzmenko, Burroughs all UFAs. 11.8M in cap next year We have potentially 2,082,500M in cap bonuses that will count towards the cap next year so are actual cap hit could be under 10M.

It won't be a pretty situation to figure out.

I don’t know the exact numbers but does that factor in the projected $4M expected increase in the cap?

Pearson Myers money has gots to go.

Dermott I’m curious if he’s gonna be the same after.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Same owner so same direction.  

Cdc often questions whether rumours of the owners interfering are true. Just read an interview with Dave Nonis. Although he chose his words carefully, he was clear that discussions with ‘local management’ were more frequent than he experienced with other teams.

say what u want about boeser.. but hard to believe right now we have 6 players at or near a ppg pace.. and come TDL and the offseason.. we have a good chance we are going to lose half of them.. Horvat is good as gone there's really not much scenario in which he re-signs in vancouver for anything JR is comfortable with. kuzmenko depending on where we are at thd TDL might be flip for picks.. Boeser probably dangled out there as trade bait also since majority of the fan base hates him and wants him gone at all cost. if those 3 were to happen.. the canucks will lose a signficant chunk of their offence.. almost like 35-40%.. can they remain competitive enough next year and is the future bright enough for EP to want to stay?? we could be looking at losing 4 players that's projected in the 60-80 point range within 2 seasons.

we can keep talking about dumping this guy dumping that guy to keep so and so.. but do they even want to be here anymore given the circus that follows the team on and off the ice.. given the way Bo is producing at.. dont think it's unimaginable he gets 8mil somewhere.. will JR bite the bullet admit to the mistake that he didn't try to get bo signed in the offseason and lowballed him and sign bo at 8mil? i don't think so.. the guy have a big ego and i see him live and die with JT and move bo and say some crap like well he simply priced himself out of vancouver. 

16 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m frustrated as hell. 

Yes I agree that that Garland is one i would consider moving

I think the management is frustrated too (as other teams are strapped too)

I think it speaks more for the market though

Just like if your asset was a house you bought 2 years ago, sellers had bidding wars and sold fast and for more

Now you don't want to give your asset away unless it is for a fair return

for that reason i am ok waiting to the tdl or off-season if that is what it takes for value

On 11/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, hammertime said:

I don't think Bo is a guy you trade.

I don't think anyone wants to trade Bo. IMHO it is more about the contract size versus what is available by trade.

- is it worth locking him up for $7.5 plus million for 8 years? Good player but this year is likely an anomaly and we can't expect this type of production in non contract years. Signing Bo will depend on the trade offers received - if the offers are average, Mgmt might have to bite the bullet.

- if Mgmt can procure a young D (ideally RHD), a grade A center prospect, and a 1st round pick, I think they need to take it. 

Likely in the minority but if the Bo wants a huge contract and Mgmt can yield a return similar to the return listed above then they should trade Bo. The money can be used to better even out the team and with their young core, some grade A prospects will be good additions towards making this a legit playoff team and hopefully a SC contender.

Before anyone says it, yes they should have held off on signing Miller first (and should have traded him at the TDL last year or held out and traded him this TDL) - Miller likely would have started the season a lot better if he needed a contract (like Bo).