The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

Agreed. Anybody making a play for Byram will have to accept two things:

1) he will have a career hampered by injury and will be an LTIR candidate each season - hard to define a lineup when you have players like that. 

2) COL will want the moon for him and the ask and eventual deal will exceed the value given up. Right now I imagine they’d do a 1 for 1 swap with Bo and Byram, and we need to fetch more than just that if trading Bo out

Hell no to number 1. Sorry, but it's almost inevitable that a guy who's not even 25 years old, has already had 3 concussions, in a sport where the risk of getting more concussions is quite high. That's too high of a risk. And if Colorado is going to be asking for the moon for him, well, that makes even less sense because of his 3 concussions. His value, IMO, shouldn't be that high, but I get why the Avs would be asking for the moon for the guy. What are they going to do? Settle for far less? Yeah, I think not. 

I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope that Bo will sign an extension with the team. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I think it comes down to if we are going to go for a proper rebuild.

If we are, then I cant see Bo wanting to be a part of it.

A rebuild means quite a few years of patience and growth. He has spent a long enough on a struggling squad in a losing culture. 

That's part of why I think he's gone, regardless of what management decides. He's come up, done everything asked of him, done his best with the captaincy, taken on all sorts of roles, and he's produced. 

But he's also almost 28 and careers fly by. I don't blame him for wanting to win, I reckon he'll just have to do it somewhere else. I'll root for him wherever he goes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like Colorado, Boston, NJD and Detroit are the big teams in on Horvat. Bo comes into Colorado or Boston as a 2C, maybe top line center on the other two.

Having the goal scoring leader as 2nd line center on say Colorado or Boston is just insane.

He'd be a great fit in Colorado but I question what they'd be willing to give up, they moved some of their better prospects last season to gun for a cup. 1st round pick is likely to be on the lower side, same goes for Boston. And Boston doesn't have much in the cupboard either. 

Jersey and Detroit would be able to pay better prices but Jersey doesn't really need a Horvat with Hughes and Hischier down the middle. Could always bump someone to the wing but it'd be a luxury. Detroit could pay well too, but if Horvat wants to win I question why he'd extend in Detroit. 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He'd be a great fit in Colorado but I question what they'd be willing to give up, they moved some of their better prospects last season to gun for a cup. 1st round pick is likely to be on the lower side, same goes for Boston. And Boston doesn't have much in the cupboard either. 

Jersey and Detroit would be able to pay better prices but Jersey doesn't really need a Horvat with Hughes and Hischier down the middle. Could always bump someone to the wing but it'd be a luxury. Detroit could pay well too, but if Horvat wants to win I question why he'd extend in Detroit. 

I know Bo wasn't part of the 2011 team but you've got to hope he wouldn't want to sign long-term in Boston after everything he's heard. Colorado would be a great fit, I wonder if Byram or Girard plus a 1st would be the sort of deal coming back. To make it fit cap-wise, it would have to be Girard coming back, then they get a lot of cap off the books to re-sign Bo next off-season, but MacKinnon's monster deal kicks in too. Looking long-term I think they've got too much cap tied up in their big guns to fit in another 7-8M deal with Horvat, especially considering Nichushkin and Landeskog are injured right now.

Detroit makes the most sense for both teams and maybe Bo would re-sign if he thinks they're legit, and Stevie Y could surely convince him of their plan going forward. 

I think NJD would be a great fit - sure they have lots of centers but not many good physical, strong centers like Bo. Easily slot Bo in at 2C under Hughes, Hirschier to the wing and they can finally have a decent shutdown guy. You can never have too many solid centers but if they wanted they could even roll Hirschier as 3C. Almost all of their forwards come off the books next off-season so they'll have plenty of room to re-sign Horvat and Bratt, but the problem is - who do we take back? We'd need to eat around 5M in cap for Horvat to fit there this season and they don't really have any useless cap-dump players. Marino and a 1st + prospect would be an interesting thought but I doubt he gets flipped after just being acquired. Severson is the obvious thought but there's no point gunning after a 28 year old if we're trading away our best player.

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know Bo wasn't part of the 2011 team but you've got to hope he wouldn't want to sign long-term in Boston after everything he's heard. Colorado would be a great fit, I wonder if Byram or Girard plus a 1st would be the sort of deal coming back. To make it fit cap-wise, it would have to be Girard coming back, then they get a lot of cap off the books to re-sign Bo next off-season, but MacKinnon's monster deal kicks in too. Looking long-term I think they've got too much cap tied up in their big guns to fit in another 7-8M deal with Horvat, especially considering Nichushkin and Landeskog are injured right now.

Detroit makes the most sense for both teams and maybe Bo would re-sign if he thinks they're legit, and Stevie Y could surely convince him of their plan going forward. 

I think NJD would be a great fit - sure they have lots of centers but not many good physical, strong centers like Bo. Easily slot Bo in at 2C under Hughes, Hirschier to the wing and they can finally have a decent shutdown guy. You can never have too many solid centers but if they wanted they could even roll Hirschier as 3C. Almost all of their forwards come off the books next off-season so they'll have plenty of room to re-sign Horvat and Bratt, but the problem is - who do we take back? We'd need to eat around 5M in cap for Horvat to fit there this season and they don't really have any useless cap-dump players. Marino and a 1st + prospect would be an interesting thought but I doubt he gets flipped after just being acquired. Severson is the obvious thought but there's no point gunning after a 28 year old if we're trading away our best player.

You realize Hischier is a legit Selke candidate right?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just now, kodos said:

You realize Hischier is a legit Selke candidate right?

Was just going to say Hischier is shaping up to be a strong 2-way player. Always was even in Junior, but is rounding out to form in the national league this year. Might even have a slight edge on Petey so far on this season alone in terms of Selke candidacy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I see Girard being more likely than Byram but I'm honestly not all that interested in Girard. He's a fine player but I'm just not. He's a bit more on the smaller side than I'd like and we've already got one of those guys in our top 4 in Hughes. Byram is interesting, but a bit of a gamble healthwise. 

Bo had no loyalty to Vancouver back in those days, I don't expect him to carry that. The twins don't strike me as the sort to hold grudges, I don't imagine that's something they'd have passed on to Bo. He's an Ontario boy, more than likely he'd have rooted for someone else. Horvat in Boston wouldn't bug me, but I let go of that final for the most part, most of that team has since moved on anyway. Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand being the last pieces of it I believe, and the first two could retire this season. They have an obvious need for a center going forward. 

I couldn't figure out which team Bo rooted for going up but according to Wikipedia he attended several Wings games growing up as Detroit was only a 90 minute drive away. Maybe there's something there with Detroit.

Hischier's actually doing fine defensively. 

46 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hischier is better than BO, he's only 23 and is already on pace for 90 points.  He's also a great faceoff man and is in the running for the Selke trophy this year.  Hischier is actually a 1C not a 3C, and would be ahead of BO on any team.  New Jersey aren't moving Hischier to the wing to accommodate BO, and they aren't going to play him as a 3C.  

New Jersey doesn't need BO, they have 2 top centres already and even have Michael McLeod as a 3C/4C who also is just as good on faceoffs as BO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m sorry if I’m in the minority here but I do NOT want any trades and go full rebuild right now.  I want first to keep the team as is and then make some adjustment at the end of the year if we are clearly not making the playoffs and unable to re-sign Bo

Let’s keep marching….

marching iraq war GIF

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hischier is better than BO, he's only 23 and is already on pace for 90 points.  He's also a great faceoff man and is in the running for the Selke trophy this year.  Hischier is actually a 1C not a 3C, and would be ahead of BO on any team.  New Jersey aren't moving Hischier to the wing to accommodate BO, and they aren't going to play him as a 3C.  

New Jersey doesn't need BO, they have 2 top centres already and even have Michael McLeod as a 3C/4C who also is just as good on faceoffs as BO.

He would add size and power down the middle and would fit their power play because he doesn’t need the puck much but can obviously finish.  If Bo is traded out we can make pretty much any deal work by retaining some salary.