The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

If Jr wants to re-sign bo he’s be negotiating. He’s not he’s literally letting it play out and each game that passes Horvat increase his value. So what’s JR planning? Bo to go on a cold streak for 1/4 1/3 of the season so he can re sign him for less? Jr pretty much have no plans on re signing bo at this point by the looks of it

Patience grasshopper. Much to play out yet. 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, they signed Mikeyev and Kuzmenko, bolstered their bottom six with Lazar, Aman signings. I'm not sure what more they can do with cap so tight, to prove to Bo that they're serious about winning. All of their off-season moves indicate win now mode. 

What else do they need to do to prove to Bo that they're serious about winning?

Acquire a top 4 defenceman instead of a bunch of 7th guys and more wingers...

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Sorry? He's not taking 7M. LOL 

He's taking at least 8-9M, probably the first Canuck to be in double digits in terms of being paid. He's getting paid more than Miller, and JT's making 8M for the next 7 years after this season. 

Petey's making at least 8M, and without any debate, probably more. I can easily see 9-9.5M for him, over the max number of years (8). 

Yes but he's on a 7.3m deal for 2 more years...not talking about what our team's going to look like in 2025...

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Sorry? He's not taking 7M. LOL 

He's taking at least 8-9M, probably the first Canuck to be in double digits in terms of being paid. He's getting paid more than Miller, and JT's making 8M for the next 7 years after this season. 

Petey's making at least 8M, and without any debate, probably more. I can easily see 9-9.5M for him, over the max number of years (8). 

Right now Petey is playing way above his pay.  But when the new contract is done he's getting over 10 per.  I see 80 to 85 mil total over 8 years.  And he will be worth it.  Great young player.

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

They can’t really improve our d without moving OEL / MYERS and replacing their minutes.

I think it should be pretty obvious that the answer here is moving Myers. He's an ill fit on this roster.

OEL FWIW has "surprisingly" been playing much better since being paired with Bear, and our forwards actually starting to support the puck more in the last couple weeks. Funny that.

Now... How to move Myers without giving up too much in assets or taking as much cap (and/or term) back...?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Right now Petey is playing way above his pay.  But when the new contract is done he's getting over 10 per.  I see 80 to 85 mil total over 8 years.  And he will be worth it.  Great young player.

He is indeed a great young player. Entering into the prime years of his career, so he's only starting out now, and that's scary considering how good he's been the first couple years in the league. I really do believe he's going to be a superstar in this league. 100 point seasons will, in my opinion, be a regularity with him in a few years. 90-100 points, I think. 

10 hours ago, mordekai said:

Landeskog wasn’t signed til July. So I would say plenty of time to sign him. Signing him now wouldn’t be prudent. Having career year base on the start. JR should wait til at least mid season to see how Bo does. Who is to say Canucks didn’t offer something like 7x$7.5 and Bo’s agent declined due to Bo torrid start to the year.

Landeskog is the player I'm really hoping Bo looks at as an example of a captain taking a cut to ensure his team will be competitive. Quite similar players in many ways actually. Bo takes a lot more faceoffs (though Landeskog is also pretty strong here) and plays more on the PK, but Landeskog also lifts his game in the playoffs and tends to be slightly more physical and I think is the better setup man.

As much as Bo's play this year is worthy of $8+ I don't see him suddenly becoming a consistent 40+ goal scorer. Much more likely that he reverts back to a ~30 goal 60-65 point center. With inflation and the slightly rising cap, I think 8x$7.5M would be a great contract for him and match Landeskog's pretty closely.

This is not a breakout, this is a statistical aberration.  Horvat is shooting 23.3% which is 10% higher than his average of about 13.7%. Doing the research there have been only a handful of players post 2010 who have sustained that percentage over a full season. 

I could be wrong and he could keep it going and hit 90 points, but he could also come crashing down to earth and finish with 65-75 which seems most likely. He’s been tipping in shots, Bo is no sniper. 

He’s also doing this during his CONTRACT year. There’s a lot of money on the line for Mr Horvat. I’d rather him walk if he’s looking for Miller money. 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

This is not a breakout, this is a statistical aberration.  Horvat is shooting 23.3% which is 10% higher than his average of about 13.7%. Doing the research there have been only a handful of players post 2010 who have sustained that percentage over a full season. 

I could be wrong and he could keep it going and hit 90 points, but he could also come crashing down to earth and finish with 65-75 which seems most likely. He’s been tipping in shots, Bo is no sniper. 

He’s also doing this during his CONTRACT year. There’s a lot of money on the line for Mr Horvat. I’d rather him walk if he’s looking for Miller money. 

And doing it with one of the highest firepower offences in the league. Take away Hughes and Petey and Miller on the PP and where would Bo be? 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Landeskog is the player I'm really hoping Bo looks at as an example of a captain taking a cut to ensure his team will be competitive. Quite similar players in many ways actually. Bo takes a lot more faceoffs (though Landeskog is also pretty strong here) and plays more on the PK, but Landeskog also lifts his game in the playoffs and tends to be slightly more physical and I think is the better setup man.

As much as Bo's play this year is worthy of $8+ I don't see him suddenly becoming a consistent 40+ goal scorer. Much more likely that he reverts back to a ~30 goal 60-65 point center. With inflation and the slightly rising cap, I think 8x$7.5M would be a great contract for him and match Landeskog's pretty closely.

I think Landeskog is a decent comparison. similar point productions. not sure what Landeskog is making, last I remember, was it 8M? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think it should be pretty obvious that the answer here is moving Myers. He's an ill fit on this roster.

OEL FWIW has "surprisingly" been playing much better since being paired with Bear, and our forwards actually starting to support the puck more in the last couple weeks. Funny that.

Now... How to move Myers without giving up too much in assets or taking as much cap (and/or term) back...?

Agree 100%

the way is too wait till his bonus is paid then he’ll be easy to move 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Take away Hughes and Petey and Miller on the PP and where would Bo be? 

yes. but you can say that with just about any player too. good players need other quality good players to make good production. 

9 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

Looking at last year’s goals I could only find one tip-in, the rest a combination of snipes on the bumper play, breakaways, empty netters, and greasy net front plays.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

yes. but you can say that with just about any player too. good players need other quality good players to make good production. 

Granted, but Bo is in a contract year and putting up insane career numbers that don't match his other years of production. I still feel like his potential contract number will come in less than most think, just like Miller signing for less. Really, they just need to ship out Myers and lock in Bo and move on from this. Myers is already replaceable, same with Brock (Kuz), so they have other options to use rather than trading away one of our top centres, who is much harder to replace. 

30 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Granted, but Bo is in a contract year and putting up insane career numbers that don't match his other years of production. I still feel like his potential contract number will come in less than most think, just like Miller signing for less. Really, they just need to ship out Myers and lock in Bo and move on from this. Myers is already replaceable, same with Brock (Kuz), so they have other options to use rather than trading away one of our top centres, who is much harder to replace. 

Yes. I agree that his increase in production is because he's working extra hard to get a nice deal wherever he lands (hopefully here in Van). I also don't think it's sustainable, I think he will go on a dry spell, but if he doesn't, he's basically pricing himself out of the Canucks, unless he's willing to bet on himself and think he can produce this way moving forward. Maybe he can? I mean, he hasn't had the best of wingers throughout his career (much like the Sedins, but unlike them, he doesn't have a twin to produce points with). 

I think a deal will eventually get done with Ottawa for Myers, but we'll need to send them a pick as well. Hopefully not a 1st. I'd be okay with a 2nd or even a 3rd going the other way (not 2023 please). 

Brock in my mind is replaceable. I think the team probably (hate to say it) move on from him. He's slow, and yes, he can still produce, but I get the sense that his production is on a steady and slow decline. He said he was confident that this year was the year he was going to score 30 goals. He's not that old, but it feels like he is based off of the injuries his body has already taken at just 25 years old. With that being said, if his next deal is 4-5M, he might be worth keeping around, but if he's asking for what he's making now or more, then gotta say good bye. If we can't get anything for him, I'd even be okay to let him walk and sign elsewhere as a UFA. Ideally not of course, but we can't be paying like 85 percent of our forwards 6-7M plus. That's how NOT to build a team. 

But what do I know, I'm just a fan.