The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

57 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

My attempt of a play on words. 

He was bad ass till that guy kicked him in the head and he was done. Probably went back to being a kop

Gonzaga

Went on to become a member of Croatian Parliament. 

Edited by bishopshodan

Bo has a young family.  He won't risk a career ending injury without having signed an extension before this season begins.  No reason to do that.

He likes it here and he will get a fair offer from the Canucks.

He will wait till the Miller deal is in the rearview and the Queen etc. so he can have a good announcement. I expect him to announce he has signed next week.

Looking forward to how the team responds to having commitments from so much of the core... that feels really good for the future.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

The guy scored 30 goals last year, give him some credit. He's not a 3C. He's a top 6 F. I don't expect our 3C to score 30 goals/put up 60 points. +/-45 is plenty for that role (and likely frees up Horvat to put up 70+).

It definitely is the "it is what it is" for now. And yes, we likely have to draft/develop or college/Europe free agent that guy.

Agreed.

Definitely the D first (unless something falls in our laps).

Paying the Canucks top talent is going to be problematic no matter what.  We had better hope that the cap goes up considerably when it finally does.

Fast forward a couple of years (24/25 when the cap is expected to float again), 

Petey will sign for $10M+, Miller $8M (we know), Horvat $7.5M???, Podkolzin's 2nd contract ???, Myers resigned or free agency?

25/26 Boeser  for what?  $8M (assuming he finally starts producing the way we had hoped)

26/27 Demko for ???

27/28 Hughes for $10M+

These (excepting Myers) are the big salaries that the Canucks will be facing and I think that many would call them core players.  But I think they're going to have to trim some of the mid-level salaries in order to fit under the cap.

Garland, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Pearson, Dickinson..... and some of these decisions will have to be made after the upcoming season (before the cap goes up) especially if as they try to fill some of the holes in the defense.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You would most likely be selling low though.

Even if you put the personal aspect aside (which I wouldn’t) from a business standpoint you’re not gonna get top value for him after a down season.

Ideally you keep Boeser and let him get back to where he was from his rookie season.  Once that happens then you have guys like Klimovich and Lekkerimaki who can take a spot.  We have 3 years with Brock so ideally we'd want to wait it out until that 3rd year when Klimovich and Lekkerimaki are ready for NHL hockey to decide what to do with him.  If he is looking at a big long term deal and the kids can take his place then you move him before he becomes a UFA...

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably the defence first.  It depends if we sign BO long term or not.  If he is signed then we need to move out a winger for help on defence.  If he is not signed then obviously BO is the one being moved out.  So he should return a defensive asset.  As for a 3C we can probably get one in free agency next year.  So a trade should land us an upgrade on D first.  Free agency can address the 3C...

could be, a few guys like Blueger are UFAs after next season. 

lol i laugh at people even suggesting he should be signing what nugent hopkin signed for.. nugent hopkin is not even close as a comparable to bo horvat nor is he deployed in the same situation.. nugent hopkin also was overpaid on his last contract at 6mil hence he prolly took a bit of a discount to stay.. his advance stats is terrible.. he takes 1/2 of the faceoff horvat takes.. and he's not used in a match up role.. and his stats were padded with draisatil playing on his line leading up to his contract.. the guy avgs 14mins a night.. while bo is over 19.. so how are they comparable?? so if we replace Bo with RNH playing in the same role we would be no difference?? so whos the guy that's going to take up the 700-800 extra faceoff bo takes over RNH? and who's playing the matchup role against other teams top line that nobody likes to play? 

bo will end up inbetween 6.5-7.5 i'm going to say more like 7-7.5. why he gets close to Miller's number?? well if you say Miller is going to be in his prime till 33.. that's 3 years of prime only in that contract we are signing horvat for his prime years 28 29 30 31 32 33.. that's 6 years of his prime.. if miller was the same age as horvat? he'd prolly be signing in the 9.5mil if we were to get him for 6+ prime years.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Bo is our Bergeron. Unless there is a locker room reason we should keep him. Hopefully he does us a solid and takes a team discount to keep the team competitive 

Love Horvat, but he’s no Bergeron.

I think the team wants to lock him in at $7M. Bo’s camp is probably pointing at what Couturier signed last year (8 x $7.75M). Both sides want a deal, but there must be a gap or it would have been done already.

(As a side note, that contract is looking slightly sketchy now, as Couturier had injury trouble and missed most of last season.)

26 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Love Horvat, but he’s no Bergeron.

I think the team wants to lock him in at $7M. Bo’s camp is probably pointing at what Couturier signed last year (8 x $7.75M). Both sides want a deal, but there must be a gap or it would have been done already.

(As a side note, that contract is looking slightly sketchy now, as Couturier had injury trouble and missed most of last season.)

He’s no where near what Bergeron was, but he’s the closest thing we have 

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i laugh at people even suggesting he should be signing what nugent hopkin signed for.. nugent hopkin is not even close as a comparable to bo horvat nor is he deployed in the same situation.. nugent hopkin also was overpaid on his last contract at 6mil hence he prolly took a bit of a discount to stay.. his advance stats is terrible.. he takes 1/2 of the faceoff horvat takes.. and he's not used in a match up role.. and his stats were padded with draisatil playing on his line leading up to his contract.. the guy avgs 14mins a night.. while bo is over 19.. so how are they comparable?? so if we replace Bo with RNH playing in the same role we would be no difference?? so whos the guy that's going to take up the 700-800 extra faceoff bo takes over RNH? and who's playing the matchup role against other teams top line that nobody likes to play? 

bo will end up inbetween 6.5-7.5 i'm going to say more like 7-7.5. why he gets close to Miller's number?? well if you say Miller is going to be in his prime till 33.. that's 3 years of prime only in that contract we are signing horvat for his prime years 28 29 30 31 32 33.. that's 6 years of his prime.. if miller was the same age as horvat? he'd prolly be signing in the 9.5mil if we were to get him for 6+ prime years.

I read an article suggesting Horvat won't make as much as Couture (rightly so) but more then Hayes.   So maybe your right.   That said we'd be overpaying Horvat if it's much more then 6.5.   And doubt Horvat is going to do what Miller did although it's hard to say for sure.   One thing we don't have to worry about at all is that like Smyl and Linden, we won't have to worry about what the latter part of his career might look like.   He's going to make a great bottom six player once he gets to that stage.    And still be capable of jumping up the lines.  

Clutch is one thing that doesn't go away.   Just look at Williams, and Linden.    It's an it factor.    Linden of course vs Dallas and Turco.    Williams Captain Clutch.   

Truly hope with Miller leaving money on the table others fall in line and follow suit.  That includes Horvat and in a couple years EP.   Agree RNH is a bad comp.   And that he was absolutely overpaid during his RFA contract.  

Horvat earned his RFA deal ... but wasn't exactly lights out either.   It was fair.   To me 6.5 x 8 is the magic number.   Add some trade protection to it.    Then we can enjoy the next phase without a ton of worry or mystery.   Cap was supposed to go up, if it did Horvats last deal would have looked even better.   The fact he still made things work is admirable.     But we don't owe him a massive raise either.   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I read an article suggesting Horvat won't make as much as Couture (rightly so) but more then Hayes.   So maybe your right.   That said we'd be overpaying Horvat if it's much more then 6.5.   And doubt Horvat is going to do what Miller did although it's hard to say for sure.   One thing we don't have to worry about at all is that like Smyl and Linden, we won't have to worry about what the latter part of his career might look like.   He's going to make a great bottom six player once he gets to that stage.    And still be capable of jumping up the lines.  

Clutch is one thing that doesn't go away.   Just look at Williams, and Linden.    It's an it factor.    Linden of course vs Dallas and Turco.    Williams Captain Clutch.   

Truly hope with Miller leaving money on the table others fall in line and follow suit.  That includes Horvat and in a couple years EP.   Agree RNH is a bad comp.   And that he was absolutely overpaid during his RFA contract.  

Horvat earned his RFA deal ... but wasn't exactly lights out either.   It was fair.   To me 6.5 x 8 is the magic number.   Add some trade protection to it.    Then we can enjoy the next phase without a ton of worry or mystery.   Cap was supposed to go up, if it did Horvats last deal would have looked even better.   The fact he still made things work is admirable.     But we don't owe him a massive raise either.   

I was hoping for Bo and Miller to land under 15 mil combined, hopefully thats still possible. I do think Millers deal should give the team a bit of leverage but we'll see. 

JR/PA run such a tight ship its hard to know whats going on, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bo starts camp still in negotiations for an extension. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I was hoping for Bo and Miller to land under 15 mil combined, hopefully thats still possible. I do think Millers deal should give the team a bit of leverage but we'll see. 

JR/PA run such a tight ship its hard to know whats going on, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bo starts camp still in negotiations for an extension. 

That's interesting.  My best buddy and brother has said the same thing several times.   That if we get both at 15 or under that the team did well.   Don't think now with Millers deal, they should find that too difficult.   7 x 8 with clauses is a big win for Horvat.  

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Agree; but signed before start of regular season is likely.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lets just keep Horvat, he's good at hockey. 

I think Bo will sign. I think the Miller signing was good in the sense that they basically locked up their best player at 8M. Bo has never scored 99 points, so they have in one sense set up an internal cap. If a player is better than JT, then they’ll get more than 8M, but if not, then they’ll probably get less than what JT received. I see Bo getting 7M max, but if he wants more than that, then he’s probably going to be doing that with another team sadly. I hope he signs long term. I’d love to see him as a life time Canuck. 

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I hope so. I wonder what the gap is... team at 50 mil, Bo at 60 over 8 years?

I've been thinking it will be close to Miller's, just lower AAV and the extra year, e.g. $7 x 8 vs Miller's: $8 x 7.

Mngt might be able to shave a couple hundred off the AAV, so maybe high $6s keeping spare change for cap compliance.

Bo is going to be set for life and Captain of his team through some great years; he is going to take one for the team ala Millsy.

That sets the bar for everybody else who wants to be a part of this team's greatest run in its history.

GO CANUCKS GO!

First Cup soon, and more Cups to follow.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2