The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well nodoby can complain about hiring and AHL coach this time.   One of the most experienced coaches available - and glad it's not Julien. 

I'm so goddamn happy it's not a third rookie coach in a row. 

26 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Boudreau's offensive style fits what we got better than other coaches.

We aren't gonna be grindy defensive team. We don't have the players for it. We're gonna have to outscore our problems and pray to our lord and saviour Demko to stand on his head.

At least we'd have some sort of identity. An experienced coach like Boudreau should be able to get players playing to their strengths as opposed to trying to hammer round pegs into square holes.

16 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Interesting:

More changes incoming perhaps? Maybe a president, maybe a GM. Could have had multiple negotiations ongoing at once.

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of a bizarre comment made with respect to Boudreau. He dominated with the Caps for years.

And his Anaheim teams were great too, some of the best they've ever had. Just couldn't get over the hump. His work in Minnesota was also respectable given what we was given to work with.

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hope so, give us a president! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

Isn't that the exact plan this management group has been peddling for eight years? Yeah, no, it doesn't work.

We had an aging core when JB said he wanted to quickly retool.

We have Petey, Hughes, Pod, Hog, Demko, Boeser? and all the other prospects in the system already. 

So not at all the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Chant new ownership. 

the way they’ve done this &^@#ing backwards. 

Chant nothing. Give this team some support now. Guys are going to be working their ass off now trying to learn new systems and impress their new coach. The last thing they need is media and fans still giving them a hard time.

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

There’s toxic (Babcock). And than there’s hard ass but respectful (Boudreau).

Ah yeah toxic. Were you around him personally?  Or are you just listening to the smear job done by the toronto media because he hurt little mitchies feelings? I think it's weird how people dont think for themselves anymore in this world.  They just see someone say something and they run with it.

Mike Babcock was the cream of the crop, regarded as the best coach in the world by everyone for what, 10+ years?

It doesnt matter, I'll get behind Boudreau I think the guys a beauty and I think he will be great for the group.  I would have preferred Babs but it doesnt matter, the only thing that matters is the Green era is over.

Which era was more painful, Green or Desjardins?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, guntrix said:

The organization is just putting a bandaid on the problem until the GM is replaced too. 

I don’t think so.

Traditionally, the last move a GM has in his toolbox is a change of coach. 

If it doesn’t work, the GM is fired. 

If it works, everyone is happy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm so goddamn happy it's not a third rookie coach in a row. 

At least we'd have some sort of identity. An experienced coach like Boudreau should be able to get players playing to their strengths as opposed to trying to hammer round pegs into square holes.

More changes incoming perhaps? Maybe a president, maybe a GM. Could have had multiple negotiations ongoing at once.

And his Anaheim teams were great too, some of the best they've ever had. Just couldn't get over the hump. His work in Minnesota was also respectable given what we was given to work with.

I hope so, give us a president! 

Larionov would be fantastic!  Igor! 

• Cheers 1

I like the choice in coach, I would have preferred fresh blood but the NHL is notorious for recycling. And the last couple times we went the fresh blood route it didn’t really work out so I understand getting an established voice in the room particularly someone geared more offensively. Now we just need to replace JB and I’ll be a happy man

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

The organization is just putting a bandaid on the problem until the GM is replaced too. 

Gotta stop the bleeding before you can treat the wound. Benning will be gone in short order, but it was prudent that we get a coach in there capable of stopping the real time damage being inflicted on our players by Green.