The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Dickinson and Pearson ?

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

41 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Dickinson is playing much better since Boudreau and Walker were hired... I think he can safely be left on that line for a while.

Pearson is fine... he is a solid player most of the time, can score and hit, he is a good fit with Horvat.

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Pearson is playing with Miller-Boeser under Boudreau.  

You are such a Buzz killer!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Pearson is playing with Miller-Boeser under Boudreau.  

You're right... late at night...  too many beer.

Still think Pearson is playing well enough.

Now is not the time to trade anyone... Boudreau needs to have time to evaluate all the players and see how they fit with his system.

Depending on what happens, players can then be moved at the deadline.  (assuming there is no miracle and the team makes the playoffs)

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, JM_ said:

Dickie was miscast as a 3C, so thats that for him being a Sutter replacement. But he looks decent on Bo's wing. He's not really a top 6 tho so I think he's the guy I'd be looking to move out in a package deal if Rutherford can somehow manage to clear some cap for us. 

Pearson is OK. He's paid OK. I don't see the need to get too worked up over him. 

This exactly.    Also the Dallas Dickinson is something we should be excited to have, this idea of him being a 3rd C started right away, probably in part due to one sentence JB said about him "we think he could have untapped offense" or something like that at the signing.    I was always in the group that he'd made an elite shutdown 4th line, with Motte Sutter Dickinson - on the wing.   His PK face off is way below career average this year, and even that's not good.    Did really like his game in Dallas.   Felt he was probably the safest signing of them all last summer, and also although Green did try a blender for awhile he kept trying to fit him in where he sure doesn't seem to belong.    Pearson is fine at his cap hit - but also wished we traded him and figured we would ... but that cap hit isn't bad, and he's a good add at the TDL next year for any team looking to add depth.   So he's still trade bait in a way.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Neither one is likely to be going anywhere. I would be ok trading Pearson to shed some cap and get a defensive dman. But he has a ntc so will be here awhile. 

Doesn't the NTC take effect next year? (Honestly not sure). Besides that, it was a very limited clause.

Regardless, Pearson is streaky. So far this season he's been pretty crappy. But if he finds his game, it's just another layer of scoring we have. And judging by some of our stars not playing like starts, probably need.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This exactly.    Also the Dallas Dickinson is something we should be excited to have, this idea of him being a 3rd C started right away, probably in part due to one sentence JB said about him "we think he could have untapped offense" or something like that at the signing.    I was always in the group that he'd made an elite shutdown 4th line, with Motte Sutter Dickinson - on the wing.   His PK face off is way below career average this year, and even that's not good.    Did really like his game in Dallas.   Felt he was probably the safest signing of them all last summer, and also although Green did try a blender for awhile he kept trying to fit him in where he sure doesn't seem to belong.    Pearson is fine at his cap hit - but also wished we traded him and figured we would ... but that cap hit isn't bad, and he's a good add at the TDL next year for any team looking to add depth.   So he's still trade bait in a way.  

we're certainly cap squeezed for next season, but with ELCs like Lockwood coming up we should be OK even with Boeser getting 7.5 we don't actually have to make a desperation cap dump move. So we'll see, I'm hoping we see a hockey trade for better d vs cap dumps.

I see no problem with Bruce's lines; each has a playmaker, Miller, Garland and Hogs, a trigger man, Bo, Brock, and Petey, and a retriever, Dickenson, Pearson, and Pods. I understand that's not totally accurate, because Miller and Garland can also score, Petey of course makes pays, and Pods is much more than just a retriever. Still, these lines are designed to emulate the strengths of the Bossy/Trottier/Gillies line, which I have always thought was the greatest balance for a line in NHL history. I really like Petey's line; as Pods develops and those three get used to each other, I could see a couple of 30 goal scorers and Pods with 20+. I wish Pods would develop a bit of a chip on his shoulder like Ovie, throw his weight around more and get angrier when he gets gooned. Pods has to understand that NHL officials will stand there, watch somebody take his head off, and if the Canucks have had two consecutive power plays, they'll keep their whistle in their pockets. The refs are more concerned with managing games than they are with making honest calls. Sometimes a player has to take justice into his own hands.

• Vintage 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:54 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I will say one thing I've noticed though (and it's nothing to do with either of these players)....

What's up with all the guys falling down for no particular reason? :huh: Maybe they should fire the skate sharpener next? :unsure:

Just referring to last game it was probably the ice - I noticed this happening to both teams.

3 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I see no problem with Bruce's lines; each has a playmaker, Miller, Garland and Hogs, a trigger man, Bo, Brock, and Petey, and a retriever, Dickenson, Pearson, and Pods. I understand that's not totally accurate, because Miller and Garland can also score, Petey of course makes pays, and Pods is much more than just a retriever. Still, these lines are designed to emulate the strengths of the Bossy/Trottier/Gillies line, which I have always thought was the greatest balance for a line in NHL history. I really like Petey's line; as Pods develops and those three get used to each other, I could see a couple of 30 goal scorers and Pods with 20+. I wish Pods would develop a bit of a chip on his shoulder like Ovie, throw his weight around more and get angrier when he gets gooned. Pods has to understand that NHL officials will stand there, watch somebody take his head off, and if the Canucks have had two consecutive power plays, they'll keep their whistle in their pockets. The refs are more concerned with managing games than they are with making honest calls. Sometimes a player has to take justice into his own hands.

Miller is not a good passer. He just plays with great shooters.

• Wat 2

On 12/11/2021 at 8:03 AM, iinatcc said:

Hope Benning hands a new GM job soon and hope he trades for them. 

Let's say Benning is GM of Montreal. 

Caufield + 2nd and a 3rd for Pearson and Dickinson 

Sounds like some Benning would do ::D

MTL

Dickinson

Pearson

VAN

Toffoli

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

MTL

Dickinson

Pearson

VAN

Toffoli

That off season after the bubble hurt us.  Tofu and Tanev were well liked, and really important on the ice too.  Hindsight is 20/20, but keeping Tanev and Tofu instead of bringing in Schmidt and re-upping Jake was a mistake.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Vintage 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:44 AM, deus.ex.makina said:

At the start of the season, with the roster we had, I’d penciled Pearson as a 3rd line winger and i really think its what he is. I was disappointed when i see him in top 6 again. Hope he will refind his game soon, but i still want him on 3rd. 

Dickinson was brought here to be the defensive 3C. He failed at C, he failed at 3rd. We can say he still a defensive guy because he s a absolutely not an offensive guy. But he s not that good at D tho.

Between the two i would be more patient with Pearson. Dickinson on the other hand... i really want to see if a package with him to SJ could work. I’m all for give a last chance to Kane. 

That last sentence says it all. :shock: