The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young RD Targets (Crowd Sourced haha)

aGENT

I think we can all agree, we'll likely need to trade for a right D to at least eventually (if not sooner) be able to play top 4, on our RD. Not only could either of Hughes/OEL use a potentially higher ceiling partner, but we also need a succession plan for Hamonic expiring next year (Woo?) and Myers the year after.

Beyond that, most of us seem to agree that keeping both of Boeser/Miller much beyond this/next season, becomes increasingly difficult and they're the two most obvious, main trade pieces we might be able to move to acquire the aforementioned RHD.

So with that, I thought this might be a good place for all of our brilliant CDC'ers to put their heads together for potential targets. The most obvious teams would be those in playoff positions but with perhaps slimmer forward groups (Miller/Boeser) and deeper D (our RHD). I'll update the OP as new suggestions have consensus.

Trade targets:

- Predators Phillippe Myers 24 (Downside being they just traded for him and may be hesitant to move on so quickly)

- Rangers Braden Schneider 20 (Not sure if the Rangers would be ready to go "all in" on a trade like this)

- Islanders Noah Dobson 21 (Not a playoff team this year...though "should be"... could be less incentive to "buy now" but perhaps in the offseason?)

Edit courtesy of @BPA:

-Kings Brandt Clarke (Top prospect and would not come cheap. Depends highly on how serious they are about giving Doughty, Kopitar et al another kick at can)

Edit courtesy of @VancouverHabitant

-Kings Sean Durzi (Llargely see above. Both could ideally have more size)

As an alternative we could also try the UFA route in 2023 when both Cernak and Severson could be available...but Severson especially isn't in the ideal age range and I'd rather we fix this sooner and not rely on guys possibly making it to UFA.

So CDC, who else you got?

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 4

I'd probably wait until the summer of 2023 when Schenn and Hamonic are off the books and Miller and BO are UFA's.  Obviously, JR is going to try and lock up at least one of them prior to either getting to UFA status.  It all depends on what happens with this team moving forward.  If we make the playoffs this year and actually win a round then it may be more difficult to justify trading one of Miller/Boeser.  If we miss the playoffs then it would make the decision easier.

In terms of salary cap, we will have over $35,000,000 in cap space in the summer of 2023 with around 10 players signed.  With guys like Klimovich, Woo and potentially Rathbone and McDonough we should have some more ELC's mixed in as well.  So it is POSSIBLE we can re-sign both Miller and Boeser AND add a top 4 right hand Dman.

I'd personally go all in to ger Erik Cernak via UFA in the summer of 2023.  He will be 26 and would fit into our core perfectly.  I'd offer him a 7x7 deal.  His offensive numbers aren't great so I don't see him getting a Seth Jones/Dougie Hamilton type deal, but you never know in free agency.

• Cheers 1

Myers can't get into the lineup with Hynes explaining that there are details to his game that he needs to work on.  Don't think he's the player they hoped to get.  They were also able to extend Ekholm which was not a given when they made that trade + with the emergence of Carrier and Fabbro starting to find his game don't think they would be against moving him.  Probably for an equally young player or futures.  Don't think they'd want a veteran given that Poile says they are in a transition to get younger.

He called it a competitive rebuild earlier in the summer explaining that the Ellis for Myers/Glass trade was part of it as well as getting 2x draft picks for Arvidsson.  

Don't see NYI moving Dobson when themselves are looking for Ds unless he's part of the return for Chychrun.  Chara/Greene probably won't be brought back.  Mayfield is 1 year to UFA after this season and will earn a raise.  Move Dobson and they would be left with only Pulock-Pelech. 

Edited by mll

13 minutes ago, BPA said:

Well...if basing off of NHL22...

https://outsidergaming.com/nhl-player-ratings-best-young-defensemen/

Young Elite RHD...

CBJ - Adam Boqvist (21yr  old)

ANA - Jamie Drysdale (19yr old)

DET - Moritz Seider (20yr old)

LA - Brandt Clarke (18yr old)

Lol 

:P

Not a coincidence this post came from someone called BPA?

If JR could acquire Scnheider and Robertson for Miller and perhaps Woo I would take that deal any day.  Schneider and Robertson fill both a need and fit the age range of this core.  Losing Miller would a huge loss, but is he in the plan here long-term is the question?  

The more I think about it the more I think it's likely we'll have to trade for a RD. The problem with trying to acquire guys via UFA is that you've go to overpay most of the time, and given how in demand even borderline top 4 RD are you're competing with several other teams to try and lure them in. Myers wanted to be here, so did Hamonic. Not every player is going to though, a lot of guys don't want to play in Canadian markets. I question whether we'll be able to get the players we're interested in. 

Our ability to sign guys will also be impacted by what kind of team we are and how we project going forward, we haven't been viewed as a playoff lock or a contender in years. We should be competing for the playoffs, but that can be said of a lot of teams. Management's got a lot to do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think we can all agree, we'll likely need to trade for a right D to at least eventually (if not sooner) be able to play top 4, on our RD. Not only could either of Hughes/OEL use a potentially higher ceiling partner, but we also need a succession plan for Hamonic expiring next year (Woo?) and Myers the year after.

Beyond that, most of us seem to agree that keeping both of Boeser/Miller much beyond this/next season, becomes increasingly difficult and they're the two most obvious, main trade pieces we might be able to move to acquire the aforementioned RHD.

So with that, I thought this might be a good place for all of our brilliant CDC'ers to put their heads together for potential targets. The most obvious teams would be those in playoff positions but with perhaps slimmer forward groups (Miller/Boeser) and deeper D (our RHD). I'll update the OP as new suggestions have consensus.

Trade targets:

- Predators Phillippe Myers 24 (Downside being they just traded for him and may be hesitant to move on so quickly).

- Rangers Braden Schneider 20 (Not sure if the Rangers would be ready to go "all in" on a trade like this).

- Islanders Noah Dobson 21 (Not a playoff team this year...though "should be"... could be less incentive to "buy now" but perhaps in the offseason?).

As an alternative we could also try the UFA route in 2023 when both Cernak and Severson could be available...but Severson especially isn't in the ideal age range and I'd rather we fix this sooner and not rely on guys possibly making it to UFA.

So CDC, who else you got?

Braden Schneider all the way.

This is the type of prospect I'd go all out for.

He's got a complete game that is still developing but, is one that brings, both personal and team success at the NHL level.

Another name I keep bringing up for my wish-list is Ryan O'Rourke. Another tough player who's game should translate well to the NHL.

Our aim should still be about gathering prospects and draft picks. Both these players would be great additions to our prospect pool.

• Cheers 1

I think one of the New York teams are our best options at the moment. 

Islanders should be better and usually in recent history have been. They might be the best target for a trade. Dobson is a big piece for sure, but something isn't working there for that team this year and I think they need more offense. Miller is still locked in for another year at a great cap hit, so maybe Miller for Dobson straight up. I'd love of course to get more from the trade, even a pick since I would say Miller is the best player in the trade (but hard to compare). 

Rangers are playing good so they may be less inclined to make a move. But by all accounts everyone seems to like that RHD they have and the age range is a perfect fit for us. 

• Cheers 1

Lets just draft the mofo.

Assume we'll be picking around 10ish and we move one of Boeser or Miller for an additional late 1st. Gives us a chance at:

Nemec, Jiricek, Casey with our 1st

Chesley, Salomonseen with our late 1st

If we can end up with one of the top 3 RHD's, then we can pick a big C with the 2nd pick. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ive always thought Cal Foote (23 years old) would be a good fit on this team. I dont think the cost would be huge for him either, although he does have another year of ELC on his deal which could be very enticing to a team like TB.

I really wanted us to push for Foote last season but after having an opportunity to watch him more closely I'd say he's a definite pass.

His only benefit is he's big but he's slow, isn't very physical and doesn't block shots or kill penalties and isn't even close to being capable of playing top 4 minutes yet. It's very possible that could all change and that he's just young and stuck behind a logjam at the top of TB's d core, but at 23 years old, he's starting to get closer to "is what he is" territory than "has potential and room to grow".

At this point I think Schneider is a better dream target, although both have put up remarkably similar numbers at the same stage of their respective careers. Both put up around 0.7 ppg in their draft year, both increased to over a point per game and wore the "C" for their teams in D+1 season and both put up around 0.4 ppg in their D+2 season which was also their rookie AHL seasons. I give the edge to Schneider though as he just seems to being doing as well as Foote in the AHL on a far less talented team.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ive always thought Cal Foote (23 years old) would be a good fit on this team. I dont think the cost would be huge for him either, although he does have another year of ELC on his deal which could be very enticing to a team like TB.

Starting to look like more of a depth D than what we're really looking for, slow skater etc. Not sure he fits the criteria.

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dante Fabbro? 

Doesn't really fit what we're looking for either IMO (bigger, more D-oriented 2 way D to play opposite our puck movers). Also, as MLL pointed out, NAS is unlikely to be moving him as he replaced Ellis.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd probably wait until the summer of 2023 when Schenn and Hamonic are off the books and Miller and BO are UFA's.  Obviously, JR is going to try and lock up at least one of them prior to either getting to UFA status.  It all depends on what happens with this team moving forward.  If we make the playoffs this year and actually win a round then it may be more difficult to justify trading one of Miller/Boeser.  If we miss the playoffs then it would make the decision easier.

Yes, clearly this is dependent on how the team performs the rest of this season. Playoffs are a long shot but not impossible. But if we're out of it come TDL, or later this summer when we should have some idea on Boeser's extension/Miller's intentions...

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In terms of salary cap, we will have over $35,000,000 in cap space in the summer of 2023 with around 10 players signed.  With guys like Klimovich, Woo and potentially Rathbone and McDonough we should have some more ELC's mixed in as well.  So it is POSSIBLE we can re-sign both Miller and Boeser AND add a top 4 right hand Dman.

I'd personally go all in to ger Erik Cernak via UFA in the summer of 2023.  He will be 26 and would fit into our core perfectly.  I'd offer him a 7x7 deal.  His offensive numbers aren't great so I don't see him getting a Seth Jones/Dougie Hamilton type deal, but you never know in free agency.

Cernak would be a great fit IMO for both skill set and age. I am however hesitant to rely on him making it to UFA and/or not getting priced out of reasonable affordability if he does. I'm not sure I want to rely on him making it to UFA as THE game plan. I'd rather make a trade and then see if he also becomes available. Not only is that more leverage in any negotiations, it gives you options if he does indeed sign.

4 hours ago, mll said:

Myers can't get into the lineup with Hynes explaining that there are details to his game that he needs to work on.  Don't think he's the player they hoped to get.  They were also able to extend Ekholm which was not a given when they made that trade + with the emergence of Carrier and Fabbro starting to find his game don't think they would be against moving him.  Probably for an equally young player or futures.  Don't think they'd want a veteran given that Poile says they are in a transition to get younger.

He called it a competitive rebuild earlier in the summer explaining that the Ellis for Myers/Glass trade was part of it as well as getting 2x draft picks for Arvidsson.  

Yeah, it's a tough call on the reasons he'd be available and how coachable our pro scouts think those reasons are in fixing... We have some time to finish developing him. But not a lot... and not if it's simply not there...

Miller's certainly not old (yet) and could easily help them keep contending for another 4+ years and Boeser is defintely not old. And either way, that team has always needed and still needs F scoring.

4 hours ago, mll said:

Don't see NYI moving Dobson when themselves are looking for Ds unless he's part of the return for Chychrun.  Chara/Greene probably won't be brought back.  Mayfield is 1 year to UFA after this season and will earn a raise.  Move Dobson and they would be left with only Pulock-Pelech. 

Mayfield being one year to UFA is precisely why they may be open to it IMO. Despite this down year, they should very much be 'win now'. They may want to extend Mayfield in one year, focusing on Puloch and Mayfield as their top 2 RD and Dobson getting a raise this summer isn't going to help with cap space for Mayfield. They also BADLY need more scoring F's to complement Barzal.

Something like Miller + Poolman (to play 3rd pair RD/replace RD depth) would allow them to keep Puloch/Mayfield, still field a strong D core and massively upgrade their F group. They'd likely have to send some cap back though...so there'd likely need to be some other moving pieces.

4 hours ago, BPA said:

Well...if basing off of NHL22...

https://outsidergaming.com/nhl-player-ratings-best-young-defensemen/

Young Elite RHD...

CBJ - Adam Boqvist (21yr  old)

ANA - Jamie Drysdale (19yr old)

DET - Moritz Seider (20yr old)

LA - Brandt Clarke (18yr old)

Lol 

:P

Boqvist isn't likely the player type we need...the rest I'd LOVE to have any of but aren't likely to be available from any of those teams. Feel free to explain how they might be/how we'd get them though.

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

David Jiricek should be pretty near the top of our priority list. 

Not really a trade target as he's draft elligible but yes, hopefully very much on our draft radar! Though I'd love to have him coming in in a couple seasons, behind our trade target, on a nice cheap ELC as well :) 

3 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Erik Brannstrom from Ottawa

Soooo not the player type we're looing for :lol: