The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The dumpster fire that is the Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

MikeBossy

34 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

It's honestly a travesty to the sport in a certain sense. The Penguins, Hawks and Lightning managed to build perennial Cup contenders around their superstars by the time they were around the same age McDavid and Draisaitl are now. Meanwhile, the Oilers are wasting their superstars' primes and the only reason I find it funny is because they're the Oilers.

Yeah, I get you on the Oilers bit. I hate them and Toronto more than anyone, but what's happening over there is certainly a waste of McDavid and Draisaitl's prime. They haven't even really been truly competitive. Anaheim dunked on them come playoff time, Winnipeg swept them. Not that we as Canucks fans have much to write home about. 

Teams go through players primes without doing much, ain't uncommon, but for those players to be McDavid and Draisaitl? Yeah, that's a bit more uncommon. Hate the Oil or not, they're two of the best players in the world. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The funny thing is Vancouver/Edmonton/Toronto all have similar problems. They've overpaid on certain positions, and can't get a balanced team. 

The Canucks can't afford to trade draft picks. We need young, cheap players to refill our roster. So that we can hopefully keep the bulk of the team and stay competitive 

and not get kicked out in the first or second round. 

Only way to do that is rebuild the right way (something Frankie doesn't want to do).

Avs, Lightning, Canes... They built teams through the draft. It's crazy how the Avs got Makar and Byram with Mac, absolutely bonkers (Duchene trade ouch).

Canucks need to do the same and try to get more ELCs on the books

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Love that people who have been defending their AHL blueline, ECHL goalie, and locker room cancer of a captain are now awfully quiet.  I wonder how long it takes for McDiver to request a trade out of that hellhole of a city to go to an actual NHL team.

I don't think an actual trade is possible, at least not until the last year of his current deal. No one can afford to give up the assets needed to get him and make it a palatable deal to the fan base. It would always be seen as a lost trade. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The funny thing is Vancouver/Edmonton/Toronto all have similar problems. They've overpaid on certain positions, and can't get a balanced team. 

The Canucks can't afford to trade draft picks. We need young, cheap players to refill our roster. So that we can hopefully keep the bulk of the team and stay competitive 

and not get kicked out in the first or second round. 

I think we can get out of our cap issues a little easier, or at least we should be able to. I'm hoping we can move Hamonic, Pearson and Dickie either this TDL or off season to help bring in some new energy and better value players. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think an actual trade is possible, at least not until the last year of his current deal. No one can afford to give up the assets needed to get him and make it a palatable deal to the fan base. It would always be seen as a lost trade. 

They won't have an option if he throws one of his tantrums and refuses to report.

• Haha 1

I once heard that there was a red wine club. ( Old boys club)

A bunch of ex-Oil that sit around, drink Wayne's crappy wine and influence the club.

Dont know if there's much truth but I just did a google and found an article calling it 'the red wine summits'

Anyway.

Haha Oil. You suck.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You can't win with 4 AHL D and an ECHL starting goalie, and they don't have the cap space or prospect pool to address those issues.  They also have a locker room cancer for a captain who needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.  Until they address these issues, they're unlikely to start winning; this is the real Oilers we are seeing now.

Your forgetting Draisatel. He has the same passport, visa, as McD in that he has no idea how to play inside his own blue line.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Your forgetting Draisatel. He has the same passport, visa, as McD in that he has no idea how to play inside his own blue line.

Agreed, but he's not wearing the C.  Draisitl needs to concentrate on not spearing guys in the balls.  Unfortunately, Lucic succeeded at teaching him how to play like a gutless coward during his time there.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They'll probably bounce back. Probably take a few changes though.

We have to take advantage while their struggles last.

I doubt they will go back to a 65% PP. That was a fluke, cmon, they only won games due to their PP.

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Goaltending and defensive issues aside, they're unlikely to keep losing forever and they're right in the mix despite their slide 

They need changes, but their top talent is too talented for them to ever be bottom feeders, which puts them in our bracket 

If the boys take em lightly it might just burn em

With Bruce, Oilers is easy to beat. No goalie and crap D with only 2 elite forwards. We beat washington which is 100× better than Foilers. Foilers are no Tampa or Florida.

The only way the Oilers can fix their mess is to trade Draisaitl.  Unless they do that they won't have the cap space to get an NHL goaltender and some NHL defencemen.

if they want to win with McJesus they will need to trade his sidekick.  Draisaitl would be a franchise centre on another team.  Not sure who the trade partner could be.  The problem though is that nobody is gonna want to give up their starting goalie, especially a very good one, plus a stud Dman.  Detroit has some young players but I think they will stay the course.  NY Rangers are an option but I don't think they will trade Shesterkin.  

My guess is they will go hard after a UFA in the summer.  Jack Campbell, Darcy Kuemper and Marc Andre Fleury are all available.  If I was Edmonton I would go all in on Campbell and try and clear cap space for him.

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

With Bruce, Oilers is easy to beat. No goalie and crap D with only 2 elite forwards. We beat washington which is 100× better than Foilers. Foilers are no Tampa or Florida.

No team is easy to beat, and the team would be foolish to think that way. A team with a similar record to Edmonton in Columbus lit up Carolina 6-0 a few days ago and they ran right over us.

That kind of attitude has probably contributed to the Canucks playing down to the level of teams they should probably beat over the years. Overlook them and McDavid and Draisaitl can run a team over offensively between the two of them.

Edited by Coconuts