The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Feb. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, rekker said:

Team look gassed in the second and third. They've been fun to watc but it is what it is tonight. 

Agreed, back to backs on the road are hard, especially against a physical, well-rested team.  The Preds knew that, and started hitting our minute eaters hard and often early in the game and never relented.  Every chance they got, they hit OEL and Quinn and really pressured our backend.  I thought Quinn looked a little slow and shellshocked in the third, and OEL did not have a great game in spite of scoring the team's second goal.  We need Poolman back to help with the minutes. I like Schenn, but I like him at about 12-15 minutes per game, and as I've said before, I think Burroughs is a far superior Dman to Hunt. It wasn't a great game for anybody, even Demko, but now the team has a week off to practice, rest and get ready for the post All-Star schedule. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We have a bunch of guys that only wanna score if it’s bar downsky.

Bruce needs to get Petey, Brock, and Miller together at practice and drill home the message of getting the puck on net!

Shooting high and wide every time loses possession and has a low percentage of creating a scoring chance.

Low hard shots with a tip or a screen create way more goals than post and in shots.

Yup if things arent working, shoot the puck and get it on net and then crash it and get some greasy goals. 

We lack that. 

All the guys want pretty goals. 

We need some muckers banging at the goalies pads after the initial shot. 

Problem is, initial shot misses the net because guys are hammering it aiming top corner. 

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup if things arent working, shoot the puck and get it on net and then crash it and get some greasy goals. 

We lack that. 

All the guys want pretty goals. 

We need some muckers banging at the goalies pads after the initial shot. 

Problem is, initial shot misses the net because guys are hammering it aiming top corner. 

Maybe they just need to have a practice where they’re just shooting on net. Practicing shooting. Shooting. Shooting. ON NET. ON NET. ON NET. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe they just need to have a practice where they’re just shooting on net. Practicing shooting. Shooting. Shooting. ON NET. ON NET. ON NET. 

Maybe they will only get frustrated getting stoned by Demko?:lol:. Hire Cloutier (PTO), Ray Charles can score on him.  Build up their confidence.:P

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Maybe they will only get frustrated getting stoned by Demko?:lol:. Hire Cloutier (PTO), Ray Charles can score on him.  Build up their confidence.:P

I was just thinking of just shooting on an open empty net. I mean, you gotta start somewhere right. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

EP needs to be on the list, this team is need of a super star presence and I don’t believe EP is it or will achieve that

That's what people said about the Sedins. And I'm sure that's what people said about Naslund, Bertuzzi, Neely, etc etc.

Maybe you are right but I'd rather wait out and see where Petey is at 25 before deciding to move on from him.

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I just don't understand why this team can't score. Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser all having down years at once? Why? 

Miller isn't having a down year. In fact, he is having the best season of his career.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Boeser is due $7.5 if there's a qualifying offer. So the question is this, is he currently worth that? If you say yes, you're hinging your hopes that he's going to return to previous form or even improve upon that. That's a big gamble with big money. Yes he's only 24, but that kind of money is a risk especially when we just paid Pettersson and Hughes. Boeser struggles with his speed, he struggles to hit the net and he's wildly inconsistent. To me, $7.5 is too much for the status quo. We need Brock to be a consistent offensive contributor along with Petey and BO for this team to win.

Yeah true actually. I forgot to take the QO thing into consideration.

16 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is it the mix of players that aren't right?

Are we too small?

Not physical enough?

I really don't know. All I can say there's seems to be a big gap between that Canucks and playoff teams.

The team is lazy, whether it be thru systems or effort is the problem. 

Guys like Bo, Boeser, Petey take too many nights off and are afraid to go to the net. We don't put pressure on the puck enough. We play safe hockey. There's no creativity. 

It's not that we can't. It's that they choose not too too many nights. 

The forwarders are having problem.

Pettersson is too weak.

Pearson can not hold the puck.

JT Miller likes to drive the puck himself, especially in PP and OT period.

Bo needs some very good player to be his teammates.

Only Motte's line is satisfied.

Trades will be come before TDL.

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

"expert" opinions are also welcomed.

Have you ever watched a practice sessions or a pre-game warm-up, Deb?

How many times in a practice session do players shoot the puck to the goal?

How many times in a warmup do players shoot the puck to the goal?

I can't understand that the shot accuracy just isn't there.

I can't understand that some players take stupid penalties over and over again.

I can't understand the reasons why some of the players are not able to learn from their mistakes.

The issue that the puck is passed from one player to the next player on the PP over and over again and &^@#ing nobody has the balls to shoot the puck to the net - we had issue in this season not only time, no we had this issue in numerous games and in numerous PP situations.

It's the same discussion at this stage of the season like in the previous seasons: we are sellers , we discuss what return player x,y.z would us fetch, we discuss the spot we would most likely draft in the NHL entry draft in Summer.

Same procedure as every year.

Nothing changed.

Sad.

Part of that is strictly about keeping possession - often once a puck is shot they have to skate back and re-gain the zone....there is a reason why "decent" power plays start at 20%....

1 hour ago, khay said:

Miller isn't having a down year. In fact, he is having the best season of his career.

Yeah, Miller has been great. But Pettersson and Boeser are having career-worst seasons and Horvat is having his least productive season since his sophomore year. 

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The team is lazy, whether it be thru systems or effort is the problem. 

Guys like Bo, Boeser, Petey take too many nights off and are afraid to go to the net. We don't put pressure on the puck enough. We play safe hockey. There's no creativity. 

It's not that we can't. It's that they choose not too too many nights. 

Definitely shows any time we have an extra skater (PP, delayed call for one, pulled goalie).  Instead of aggressively taking advantage we slow the play down and play deliberate, predictable, low-energy hockey.   

57 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah, Miller has been great. But Pettersson and Boeser are having career-worst seasons and Horvat is having his least productive season since his sophomore year. 

Yeah it's so strange. 

I would say the team isn't sharing the puck all that well. The best way to play is to have all 5 guys be involved and get a touch on the puck but there are way too many solo dashes. And it's not just Miller but all of our top 6, Garland, Horvat, EP, everyone and not enough puck support.

I liked Pearson-Miller-Boeser line because they shared the puck well, especially along the boards. But that line was completely neutralized against the Preds last night. Fatigue definitely played a role. 

I sometimes feel like the team is still working out its chemistry.

• Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah it's so strange. 

I would say the team isn't sharing the puck all that well. The best way to play is to have all 5 guys be involved and get a touch on the puck but there are way too many solo dashes. And it's not just Miller but all of our top 6, Garland, Horvat, EP, everyone and not enough puck support.

I liked Pearson-Miller-Boeser line because they shared the puck well, especially along the boards. But that line was completely neutralized against the Preds last night. Fatigue definitely played a role. 

I'd say the team hasn't really been a "team" since benning pooped the bed with tanev/markstrom/toffoli/stecher. all confidence, belief, and camaraderie within the group died that summer. 

Edited by tas

17 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd say the team hasn't really been a "team" since benning pooped the bed with tanev/markstrom/toffoli/stecher. all confidence, belief, and camaraderie within the group died that summer. 

Right but these are professional athletes. I'd say this lack of scoring goes beyond what happened that summer.

36 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah it's so strange. 

Well said. It has been in issue with these players since the bubble. A bunch of do it all myselfers. Which honestly speaks to a young team. This is a common issue with a lot of young guys. It takes a while to make a team gel and get enough chemistry to know where each other are and have the confidence to make those kinds of plays. We do play like that from time to time but not all the time…I think we are heading that way, but we still have some young guys learning how to trust each other.

Miller and Bo are definitely rushing type forwards and are better suited for north south style…most of our centres don’t have great playmaking ability. Maybe that’s what we target to round this team out if we trade Miller or even Horvat…At this point it’s hard for me to call Petey a center…if we found a center with some creativity to play with him and Boeser I think that could be a dangerous line. Leaving Horvat and his wingers to be a solid second shut down line. I really like Garland and Podz with Bo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

A lot of this could be solved having a playmaker in our top 6, someone who’s sole focus is to get the puck to those guys. But again, they really need to improve on their shot selection and shot delivery… it’s atrocious. Miller does a wind up slap shot 15ft from the net as if it won’t ring around the boards all the effing time. 

If we didn’t have Garland, I would be doing everything I can to try and get Debrincat. Obviously having two 5’7 forwards is not ideal

We do though don't we, Garland and Hoglander?

1 hour ago, khay said:

Right but these are professional athletes. I'd say this lack of scoring goes beyond what happened that summer.

being a professional athlete doesn't make them not human. 

that group in the bubble believed in themselves. they believed they were a couple of complementary pieces away. they believed toffoli was one of those pieces that would push them over the top. they had juice, chutzpah. they would go through a wall for one another. they had shared experiences that bonded them together. 

and then management shattered everything it had created. they showed that group that they didn't believe in them.

I don't think they've got past the bitterness and resentment. I think this core is ruined. 

6 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Well, you should reconsider your position because CDC always has accurate and insightful trade options. They would never write the same proposal 15 times in wannabe GM and congratulate each other about how good their trade is. Never!

Best Talking Hands GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1