The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Feb. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

39 minutes ago, tas said:

being a professional athlete doesn't make them not human. 

that group in the bubble believed in themselves. they believed they were a couple of complementary pieces away. they believed toffoli was one of those pieces that would push them over the top. they had juice, chutzpah. they would go through a wall for one another. they had shared experiences that bonded them together. 

and then management shattered everything it had created. they showed that group that they didn't believe in them.

I don't think they've got past the bitterness and resentment. I think this core is ruined. 

Well, then time to retool. Trade Miller's a$$ outta here.

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Well said. It has been in issue with these players since the bubble. A bunch of do it all myselfers. Which honestly speaks to a young team. This is a common issue with a lot of young guys. It takes a while to make a team gel and get enough chemistry to know where each other are and have the confidence to make those kinds of plays. We do play like that from time to time but not all the time…I think we are heading that way, but we still have some young guys learning how to trust each other.

Miller and Bo are definitely rushing type forwards and are better suited for north south style…most of our centres don’t have great playmaking ability. Maybe that’s what we target to round this team out if we trade Miller or even Horvat…At this point it’s hard for me to call Petey a center…if we found a center with some creativity to play with him and Boeser I think that could be a dangerous line. Leaving Horvat and his wingers to be a solid second shut down line. I really like Garland and Podz with Bo.

I think you are spot on regarding our centers not having great playmaking abilities. 

Miller and Bo are both north-south style of players. I miss the days of watching Henrik Sedin lay a perfect saucer pass for shooters.

Petey is sort of forced to play that north-south style if he is winging along Miller or Horvat. I personally would like to see him as center again though.

Either Petey regains form and goes back to center or we target a playmaking center to play with EP and Boeser.

Podz-Bo-Garland/Hog is going to be a good line moving forward as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, khay said:

Well, then time to retool. Trade Miller's a$$ outta here.

if you're doing it I think you move em all, basically. keep quinn and thatcher assuming they wouldn't be miserable staying, ship out the rest. actually, if motte is game to re-sign, I'd let him be a key leader in the new group, too. he's the right example. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Darius said:

I think I’m ok with whatever Uncle Jim and Co decide as long as Hughes and demko aren’t involved.  

Interesting how some players are scapegoats every game but others get a pass.  I love Bo .. he’s the captain.  But .. 220 + pound  guy  thats fast enough to deliver punishing hits..  would be nice to have him establish a physical presence in a game like this where Nashville looked like the stronger team all over the ice. 

Soft as butter

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

"expert" opinions are also welcomed.

Have you ever watched a practice sessions or a pre-game warm-up, Deb?

How many times in a practice session do players shoot the puck to the goal?

How many times in a warmup do players shoot the puck to the goal?

I can't understand that the shot accuracy just isn't there.

I can't understand that some players take stupid penalties over and over again.

I can't understand the reasons why some of the players are not able to learn from their mistakes.

The issue that the puck is passed from one player to the next player on the PP over and over again and &^@#ing nobody has the balls to shoot the puck to the net - we had issue in this season not only time, no we had this issue in numerous games and in numerous PP situations.

It's the same discussion at this stage of the season like in the previous seasons: we are sellers , we discuss what return player x,y.z would us fetch, we discuss the spot we would most likely draft in the NHL entry draft in Summer.

Same procedure as every year.

Nothing changed.

Sad.

I watch many warm ups (on the glass)...I think they're more relaxed and they fire them off quicker. I mean, they do that drill/game at the end of the warm up where they leave the ice after someone scores...so it's a rapid fire/in close deal.  Greasy goal stuff.

And, as you say, they pass too much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Edmonton and LA have both won, not likely to get any out of town help tonight

Calgary and Arizona the only meaningful game still going 

Closer and closer to accepting Miller, Garland, Boeser, and others (not named Demko, Petey, Hughes, Bo, and the young guys) are soon to be moved out.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Closer and closer to accepting Miller, Garland, Boeser, and others (not named Demko, Petey, Hughes, Bo, and the young guys) are soon to be moved out.  

Calgary just tied their record for most shots in a period

26-8 Calgary after the first, I strongly doubt Arizona wins 

But yeah, that's how I see it too, getting closer to seeing moves 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why do people say that after every pacific team win?

Like these teams are gonna win games from now till the end of the season.

Sucks that they all win on one night but nothing has changed in terms of the uphill battle.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

if you're doing it I think you move em all, basically. keep quinn and thatcher assuming they wouldn't be miserable staying, ship out the rest. actually, if motte is game to re-sign, I'd let him be a key leader in the new group, too. he's the right example. 

Still gotta ice an NHL roster. 

First, move Miller at this TDL as that maximizes his value.

Then, observe and evaluate the rest of the guys' performances until the end of the season. 

Yes, keep Motte if he wants to re-sign. Otherwise, trade Motte at the TDL. But what is he going to get us in return? 2nd rounder? 3rd? 

I'd focus on moving Miller and move Motte if there is a good offer.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You’ve reached rock bottom Alf? Given up on the team? You want to trade all our good players away? LOL

I guess it's time for me to tune out for a while. Too many forget the great record under BB and simply want to blow things up because of one loss against a great team on a back to back. A team, BTW, that we beat the previous time we played. Let's see what BB's record will be by the TD and if it's around 650, I'm not surprised. If we don't make the play-offs this year we have the summer to retool and toughen up. It's unfortunate but the delay in pulling the pin on Green is what created such a deep hole. Play-offs this season would be a miracle run. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't mean the core is bad. A number of factors are at play, including immaturity, Covid, and a Green hangover. 

GCG. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

I guess it's time for me to tune out for a while. Too many forget the great record under BB and simply want to blow things up because of one loss against a great team on a back to back. A team, BTW, that we beat the previous time we played. Let's see what BB's record will be by the TD and if it's around 650, I'm not surprised. If we don't make the play-offs this year we have the summer to retool and toughen up. It's unfortunate but the delay in pulling the pin on Green is what created such a deep hole. Play-offs this season would be a miracle run. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't mean the core is bad. A number of factors are at play, including immaturity, Covid, and a Green hangover. 

GCG. 

Yeah I think I'll check out until after the all star break. I'm sure people are getting tired of me saying trade Miller anyways.

I think the Preds game was over in the 2nd period. Like Boudreau said, if we somehow found a way to tie it up at 3-3, maybe we could've taken it to OT/SO. But after the 1st, the guys just didn't have the legs to play aggressive forechecking hockey that we've been playing for the last 20+ games. We lost because of fatigue from playing 4 games in 6 nights and back-to-back. And the Preds were rested and looking to avenge their last loss to us.

The all star break gives the guys a chance to rest up and recharge. I hope they come out fresh and ready to go on a run.

9 hours ago, tas said:

I'd say the team hasn't really been a "team" since benning pooped the bed with tanev/markstrom/toffoli/stecher. all confidence, belief, and camaraderie within the group died that summer. 

It's confirmed. Jt Miller is cancer and hates Bo Horvat. 

• Haha 1

The current play off bar is Calgary at 52 points.  4 teams including Calgary are between us and post season. We're in 7th place in the pacific with 46 points. 

San Jose has 48 points a 2 point lead is even in games.

Dallas has 48 points the same 2 point lead & 3 games in hand.

Edmonton has 49 points, a 3 point lead & 4 games in hand.

Calgary has 52 points, a 6 point lead &also 4 games in hand.

Just behind us Winnipeg has 43 points 3 behind us, but also 4 games in hand.

Minnesota & St Louis ahead of Calgary have 5 & 2 games in hand respectively. Its not like they are in post season position with more games played.

A lot of teams have to go on serious losing streaks even if we do well?