The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire Tippett

Rate this topic

MikeBossy

Wow

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jay-woodcroft-takes-oilers-head-coach-replacing-dave-tippett/

Jay Woodcroft is the Edmonton Oilers' new head coach, replacing Dave Tippett in the wake of the team's 4-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday, Sportsnet can confirm.

The Oilers (23-18-3) are five points adrift of the Calgary Flames, who own the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference.

Woodcroft, 45, was promoted from the Oilers' AHL affiliate, the Bakersfield Condors, where he has been head coach since 2018-19. Over three-plus seasons in Bakersfield, Woodcroft's record is 105-71-21 and was highlighted by a Calder Cup championship last season.

• Haha 1

I will say that Tippett did what he could given the roster.

They did play very structured game last couple of seasons and concentrated offense on McDavid and Draisaitl. This strategy obviously doesn't work in the playoffs.

I fully expect to see the Oilers miss the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Were they really thinking signing Kane would turn it all around?

Surprised this didn't happen a bit sooner when the Oilers began their plummet, even though it's not all on his shoulders. No coach will be able to make the team a contender with the current lack of depth, defense, and goaltending.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Were they really thinking signing Kane would turn it all around?

Surprised this didn't happen a bit sooner when the Oilers began their plummet, even though it's not all on his shoulders. No coach will be able to make the team a contender with the current lack of depth, defense, and goaltending.

Kane had more TOI than McDavid last night. McDavid was 5th in TOI for their forwards........maybe that's why Tippett got axed.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

How many coaches is McDavid going to have to go through before he demands out of Edmonton?

they'll trade him to Tampa... they ALWAYS  know how to squeeze an extra 10 million under the cap

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

Really SN650?  I was listening earlier this morning, and then suddenly big sounds!! and Breaking News!  "Oh this is seismic", said one of the radio guys. Then, they announce this. Who the hell cares?  The Oilers have sucked with the best player on the planet since Gretzky, for the last 8 years. Move them to Quebec City.

I was expecting a Canucks trade or something, considering it was Breaking News to Canucks fans.

• Haha 1