The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire Tippett

Rate this topic

MikeBossy

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

Add to that McMeMe's rushes up the ice. That's his answer for everything. The odd hilite but more often than not  it ends in a turnover. We all know turnovers at the blue lines kill you. Even if he gains the blue line it mostly, eventually ends in a quick turnover and no offensive zone time. Watch Draisatels skates back to the Dzone, lol, it looks like me in beer leugue. 

Please...he might be in the NHL, but he comes nowhere near your stumbling backcheck effort :P

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Mark Messier will be the Oilers next coach.

Cause that franchise can never move past the 80’s.

Hmmmm.....bring in Mess to clean up the mess.....could happen....

Still, they might be better off bringing back Grant Fuhr.....

22 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Yeah, I can't see how they can make any meaningful changes without blowing up their team, and that assumes that remaining members of their current core would not lose complete confidence and want out. 

Yup. Their issues are permanent unless they basically unwind their core.

At least with ours its a matter of a couple of bad contracts that are definitely moveable depending on our willingness to retain salary or offer sweeteners, but our young core is solid and ready to be built around. Worth noting as well that our young core is actually incredibly well balanced with great pieces throughout the whole lineup. 

Demko- G
Petey- C
Hughes - D
Brock - W

Genuinely think we're not far from a powerhouse team. Myers and Poolman being replaced by options that are worth the combined 8m will make our penalty kill so much better (we're already great defensively 5v5). 
Replacing Pearson and Dickinson with guys that don't have horrendous shot percentages, even if its just 1 more top 6 winger that can finish, would go a long way. 

OEL showed these past 2 games that he's very capable of providing offence when called upon, it just seems like he has to play a shutdown role because he's tasked with cleaning up after chaos giraffe. Give him a stay at home partner, and we'll have 2 mighty weapons in Hughes and OEL. 

Future is bright. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

The Oil have systemic problems that go far beyond coaching. Suspect management decisions that in any other private corporation would be grounds for termination.

Umm what? In the corporate world suspect management decisions earns you a hefty year end bonus.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Man I couldn't imagine being an oilers fan. Halak has been shaky all season and only played 10 games for us. Every outing I hate watching cause I can't stand all the weak goals he lets in. Imagine EDM watching Halak every night (which they have him Smith and Kost) :lol:

Halak is a Vezina candidate compared to the ECHL trash Edmonton has in goal.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really SN650?  I was listening earlier this morning, and then suddenly big sounds!! and Breaking News!  "Oh this is seismic", said one of the radio guys. Then, they announce this. Who the hell cares?  The Oilers have sucked with the best player on the planet since Gretzky, for the last 8 years. Move them to Quebec City.

I was expecting a Canucks trade or something, considering it was Breaking News to Canucks fans.

February: When the Oilers fire their coach and I do my taxes. It happens every year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

oh, wait... isn't Messier's usual move when entering a franchise is to trade away the captain?

bye bye Mc crybaby... say hi to Louie E when you get to Arizona to rot in the basement  FOREVER !!!!!