The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

55 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This tells me that they're not actively shopping him. So much for 6 mill in cap space.

Why would they shop him? Unless they already gotten a replacement from say a Miller trade. There’s no reason to trade Myers. There’s literally 0 guarantees any of the ufa will sign with Vancouver either. If they got a replacement it would be relatively easy to move Myers as he’s not exactly a full on cap dump 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Why would they shop him? Unless they already gotten a replacement from say a Miller trade. There’s no reason to trade Myers. There’s literally 0 guarantees any of the ufa will sign with Vancouver either. If they got a replacement it would be relatively easy to move Myers as he’s not exactly a full on cap dump 

If he was a free agent would you sign him to the deal he has remaining? If you wouldn’t AND you get an asset out of it…you trade him. If you would sign him to 2 years 6 mill per, you keep him. 

Personally I wouldn’t sign him to 2X6 so he would be out for me. Especially if you get a decent return. 

9 minutes ago, YesWeCanNux said:

If he was a free agent would you sign him to the deal he has remaining? If you wouldn’t AND you get an asset out of it…you trade him. If you would sign him to 2 years 6 mill per, you keep him. 

Personally I wouldn’t sign him to 2X6 so he would be out for me. Especially if you get a decent return. 

Several teams would make that deal to bring in a right hand defenseman.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Pears said:

As does every team for every player if we’re being technical. I love Elliotte but he should be better than this. 

It could of course just be click bait based on how basic the statement from Elliotte is, but I don't think he floats this kind of notion without there being some kind of smoke in the air that the Canucks have been notifying teams about the price for Myers.  Every team probably does have a price for its players, but not every player's price is being shared around the league (which is what it sounds like the Canucks might be doing).  Obviously this could all be made up in Elliotte's head, but there's been enough discussion about this for a few months that it is believable.

• Cheers 1

I like that they are holding the line on Myers. 

They want to be in the playoffs next year, so moving him requires adding another defenseman. And then worst case his value will be higher in a year as a pending UFA anyways.

Maybe if they can find a deal for another RHD they give him away, but if they can't & they need him, they'll be able too deal him next year. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like that they are holding the line on Myers. 

They want to be in the playoffs next year, so moving him requires adding another defenseman. And then worst case his value will be higher in a year as a pending UFA anyways.

Maybe if they can find a deal for another RHD they give him away, but if they can't & they need him, they'll be able too deal him next year. 

Yeah I’m happy to hear this as well. Seems like a lot people think of him as a cap dump. Not really the case. 6 million is a high AAV for essentially a defensive defencemen. But Myers does not get enough credit for what he brings. In a perfect world I want to see him replaced with a guy making around 4 million but easier said that done and RH defencemen are not easy to find. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Totally. They could have a deal worked out in their back pocket as a cap dump (Myers for a pick or prospect). Hold off and wait for free agency, if you can land your fish right away you cut bait on Myers. If not you hold the line.

Edited by coryberg
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

For a quality top 4, RD who can hit, skate and shoot, would make that deal in a minute, as would many GM's in this league.

He is a far better D than many fans give him credit for, and that is backed up by stats.

No one who scores 1 goal in 82 and is a turn over machine gets 6 million tho

There are other better options to spend with that money imo

Edited by teepain

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

For a quality top 4, RD who can hit, skate and shoot, would make that deal in a minute, as would many GM's in this league.

He is a far better D than many fans give him credit for, and that is backed up by stats.

Canucks fans in a nutshell: 

-Someone the same calibre as Tylers Myers becomes available as a free agent: PLEASE SIGN THEM IMMEDIATELY

-Said player once they're on the team: We gave this guy 6 million?? He's maybe worth 5 million max. THIS GUY SUCKS. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Problem with Myers is he doesn’t compliment great with Quinn, OEL and Rathbone. Myers probably works better with Ryan McDonough stay at home type defender. We aren’t trading Quinn and OEL and you don’t want Myers to be playing third pair minutes. Hence it might better to trade Myers to a team that needs his skillset more than us.

• Cheers 1