The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

And yet, you think some team will make a trade for him?

Every time I see a lineup with Beau on Miller's line, I cringe.  He has good speed and can score a lot of goals

with Pete.  I expect that Tocchett will want a more substantial player (Michelev) on the Kuze/Pete line, who

will contribute much more than Beau.

Garland is able to play up and down the lineup as he has a more varied skill set.  Yes, his term is too long and

the $ is too high; which makes him difficult to trade without retention or a sweetener.  Keeping him for another

season, makes his buyout relatively affordable.

Beau would be easier to unload due to his 1yr term; although his salary cap is too high as well. Nucks would

likely have to include a b prospect or later round pick. Or, even if they have to retain $1m, it would still be a $3.15m

savings on the salary cap.

Imo...Beau has to geau.

I'm not sure if anyone would want to trade for Garland, so no but you never know until you ask. That would be the plan if I was Allvin, some teams may like him and have the room for him. I agree it may be difficult and not happen though.

I would be trying to trade Garland, Beau, and Boeser, in that order (not important). Beau comes off after this year no matter if he's traded or not, so we're good there regardless. We are going to need cap space moving forward for Petey, Hronek, Pods, Kuz, Silovs, and additions to the line-up so I believe we'll probably be in the same boat regarding Garland next year and the one following anyway (trying to ditch his $$) ... especially with the OEL buyout penalty looming.

I don't know what to think on Boeser, he's a homegrown talent, and he probably has debatably the best skillset, and he's definitely the biggest of the three. Does he finally put it altogether this season ... Who knows but I get the feeling management is not that interested in moving him. At least he's definitely capable of playing in the top 6 with both Petey, and Miller, and on the PP with no Bo this year.

Beauvillier played fairly well on the top line with Petey, but so does everyone. Not so much on the third line or on Miller's wing. I agree that's a bad fit.

Imo, one, and hopefully two of the three must go. The cap space is the important thing.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not sure if anyone would want to trade for Garland, so no but you never know until you ask. That would be the plan if I was Allvin, some teams may like him and have the room for him. I agree it may be difficult and not happen though.

I would be trying to trade Garland, Beau, and Boeser, in that order (not important). Beau comes off after this year no matter if he's traded or not, so we're good there regardless. We are going to need cap space moving forward for Petey, Hronek, Pods, Kuz, Silovs, and additions to the line-up so I believe we'll probably be in the same boat regarding Garland next year and the one following anyway (trying to ditch his $$) ... especially with the OEL buyout penalty looming.

I don't know what to think on Boeser, he's a homegrown talent, and he probably has debatably the best skillset, and he's definitely the biggest of the three. Does he finally put it altogether this season ... Who knows but I get the feeling management is not that interested in moving him. At least he's definitely capable of playing in the top 6 with both Petey, and Miller, and on the PP with no Bo this year.

Beauvillier played fairly well on the top line with Petey, but so does everyone. Not so much on the third line or on Miller's wing. I agree that's a bad fit.

Imo, one, and hopefully two of the three must go. The cap space is the important thing.

I'm assuming that PA has already tried to trade Garland, but the trade exchange (sweetener/retention)

has been too high.  As I said earlier on, Garland's buyout next year might be a good option.

I think the plan with Boeser is to be give a solid chance to redeem himself (and he very well might

do that).

I agree that Beau doesn't do much for the team if he's not playing alongside Pete and there are better

options. Given his UFA status, he is the easiest of the 3 to move.  Hogs is primed to move into his spot as 

LW at the $1.1m bargain for 2yrs.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm assuming that PA has already tried to trade Garland, but the trade exchange (sweetener/retention)

has been too high.  As I said earlier on, Garland's buyout next year might be a good option.

I think the plan with Boeser is to be give a solid chance to redeem himself (and he very well might

do that).

I agree that Beau doesn't do much for the team if he's not playing alongside Pete and there are better

options. Given his UFA status, he is the easiest of the 3 to move.  Hogs is primed to move into his spot as 

Garland is just another Benning stain. Less than zero trade value. If we had sign d Hirvat to that 68 million contract he’d be worse. 

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Every time I see a lineup with Beau on Miller's line, I cringe.  He has good speed and can score a lot of goals

with Pete.  I expect that Tocchett will want a more substantial player (Michelev) on the Kuze/Pete line, who

Garland is able to play up and down the lineup as he has a more varied skill set.  Yes, his term is too long and

the $ is too high; which makes him difficult to trade without retention or a sweetener.  Keeping him for another

Beau would be easier to unload due to his 1yr term; although his salary cap is too high as well. Nucks would

likely have to include a b prospect or later round pick. Or, even if they have to retain $1m, it would still be a $3.15m

Imo...Beau has to geau.

Thing about that is we have Beau and we have to play him. Mik-EP-Kuz is pretty much first line. 
Beau is a middle six winger but you can’t play him on a shutdown line.
So that leaves you second line left wing with JTM and Boeser or Garland. 

This is a line you would NOT be giving tough matchups or D zone faceoffs but could provide some decent offence. 
That leaves you with a shutdown line built around Blueger and a 4th line with either Aman or Raty.

No idea how to fit 2 5’8” wingers onto a bottom six with a shutdown line but since EP and Mik combined let you use them in tough matchups you have a bit more flexibility with favourable matchups for the 4th and 2nd. 

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland is just another Benning stain. Less than zero trade value. If we had sign d Hirvat to that 68 million contract he’d be worse. 

Trade him after the first 10 games of the season , it’s when his value is at its highest, and then he disappears except for Coyotes games.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Imo...Beau has to geau.

The problem with this way of thinking is that we also have to consider whether or not other teams will want him at his cap hit or not. I'm not saying he's not tradable or anything, but I am saying that your observations, if viewed the same by other teams, would limit what we would be able to get back for him.

Perhaps at least one plus with him is, had he played a full 82 games with us last season, he was on pace for almost 50 points. That not nothing. We also have to consider Mikheyev's knee injury. Hopefully he has a good bounce back year from it, but that's still going to be a question until that happens imo.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

do that).

Yeah I agree I wouldn't pay anything significant to move Garland this year either. I might do it for a third, but I'am on the fence on that. It's not a super high probability pick anyways. I wouldn't do it for a second though, not that we even have one for 2024, but that's also a reason to keep our third. Three years of saving 5 million of cap, one during the big OEL hit, is tempting though.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Hold till closer to the deadline, retain a bit, profit.

If we can make the cap work, this would be my preference as well. Worst case, once teams get into camp and the season and players start getting injured, his value will go up even more...

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If we can make the cap work, this would be my preference as well. Worst case, once teams get into camp and the season and players start getting injured, his value will go up even more...

We hold onto Myers, we hurt the team. The guy is a terrible player and cost us way too many games.

Myers = no playoffs

No Myers = we have a chance 

36 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Myers in a top role hurts us. Myers limited minutes on a bottom pairing is fine. Only problem is you don’t want to commit 6 million to a sheltered bottom pairing dman but it’s not like we could move him and add somebody different at this point. May as well keep him for the bottom pairing/pk1 role. If we’re out of it just him being a RHD you’d get a 2nd or 3rd round for him at the trade deadline.

You may want to lower your expectations. Jeff Petry, only returned a conditional 4th from Detroit.  

Petry is a better player than Myers, is also a big right hand D, and his retained cap hit is only $2.34m 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes, his value does increase… from “Hell no, we don’t want him and are offended you are even asking” from potential trade partners, 

… all the way up to “No, we don’t want him”

Maybe Myers’ value isn’t about clearing off all his cap by returning a pick but rather more so in a hockey trade? We move home after his bonus to Phoenix for a guy who has a cap hit of 3-4 per and can play for us in a different role, like 3C? They get Myers at 1 mil but count six on their cap while having the asset to trade at the 2024 TDL.

Alf’s empties see a Myers for Crouse trade incoming. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Myers’ value isn’t about clearing off all his cap by returning a pick but rather more so in a hockey trade? We move home after his bonus to Phoenix for a guy who has a cap hit of 3-4 per and can play for us in a different role, like 3C? They get Myers at 1 mil but count six on their cap while having the asset to trade at the 2024 TDL.

Alf’s empties see a Myers for Crouse trade incoming. 

That’s a plausible scenario Sir Alfred, but not for Crouse. He’s worth a lot more to a team like us and we’d likely have to pay above fair market for him.

Could definitely be a hockey trade somewhere though.
I can see CHI or a team in that position taking Myers on. I’d accept a Foligno or Corey Perry in return in a heartbeat. 

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

We hold onto Myers, we hurt the team. The guy is a terrible player and cost us way too many games.

Myers = no playoffs

No Myers = we have a chance 

I actually thought he was starting to improve under our new coaching of Gonchar and Foote.

He absolutely needs to be traded from a cap perspective, but I'm not in a huge hurry as I think the right opportunity will present itself.

• Cheers 3