The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Arshdeep Bains

51 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

We share a last name so if he ever plays a game for the big team it's an automatic jersey purchase. Wishing him luck!

I know the feeling.  Isn't it cool when your real name is on the back of a Canucks jersey?  :)

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

This is a great signing. A nice feel good story. I'm always a sucker for hometown kids signing with there hometown teams.

I expect the Canucks to be very active signing College UFAs, European UFAs, and other CHL UFAs as they bridge the prospect gap that the last management group created. I'm sort of hoping the Canucks sign Victoria Royals forward Bailey Peach next.

Y’all remember Dane Fox?

Funny to look back at our old prospect pools under Gillis and who they pumped up as good prospects. Bains would have probably been considered a top 5 prospect in those days. :lol:

Good AHL depth which we’ll need as other guys hopefully graduate.

• Cheers 1

Back in November I went to a abbotsford Canucks game and it was not one of their best. I remember walking out thinking that there is not much coming from this prospect pool anytime soon. My point is that any fresh blood is good. A free prospect with hometown roots that at least a little promise. Just like getting a free lunch, everything tastes better when it's free.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Y’all remember Dane Fox?

Funny to look back at our old prospect pools under Gillis and who they pumped up as good prospects. Bains would have probably been considered a top 5 prospect in those days. :lol:

Good AHL depth which we’ll need as other guys hopefully graduate.

Fox, Shinkaruk, Labate, Valk, Corrado, Cannata, Jensen, Gaunce

My goodness that’s horrid 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Odd. said:

Fox, Shinkaruk, Labate, Valk, Corrado, Cannata, Jensen, Gaunce

My goodness that’s horrid 

:sick:

Yet we all penciled them into future rosters. :lol:

How naive we were thinking we had good prospects. The best prospect there isn’t as good as our 10th best prospect now. I don’t miss those days.

• Haha 2

Nice to add some depth to the left side.

Other than McDonough (who we don't even know if he will sign), there is no depth. Jackson Kunz is having a very pedestrian season at North Dakota and Lucas Forsell has spent most of his time in Sweden especially the SHL on the right side. Karel Plasek hasn't been able to stay healthy at all and is struggling to adjust in N.A

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

:sick:

Yet we all penciled them into future rosters. :lol:

How naive we were thinking we had good prospects. The best prospect there isn’t as good as our 10th best prospect now. I don’t miss those days.

I’m not gonna lie I thought Shinkaruk was going to be solid. He was like ranked top 10 in the 2013 draft but fell. I do think he would have had some sort of success had we not traded him to Calgary lol

18 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’m not gonna lie I thought Shinkaruk was going to be solid. He was like ranked top 10 in the 2013 draft but fell. I do think he would have had some sort of success had we not traded him to Calgary lol

Yea I did too.

But the more I watch prospects that succeed and one’s that fail it’s more clear to me that Shinkaruk didn’t really have any part of his game that was at a high level.

He wasn’t that fast, his hockey IQ was good but not great, he wasn’t good at protecting the puck, didn’t have a really good shot, his edge work was good but not good enough for a small player.

If you’re gonna draft a small skilled player they have to be elite at at least one of those things (preferably two). Either be an elite skater, elite shooter, have elite hockey IQ, or be elite at protecting the puck.

I think about Connor Garland and what makes him successful and realize Shinkaruk was a long shot to ever make it at his size.

• Like 1