The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boudreau's ability to see potential... thinking outside the box

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

26 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

One of the things which drove me nuts about Green when he was coach was the way he assigned positions exactly by the book... he always took the conventional approach.

So for example, he never would have thought to put Pettersson on the PK... after all, he's an elite OFFENSIVE top six player who doesn't play physical.

But Boudreau, has a vast store of experience... and he thinks outside the box... he looks at Petey, looks at the task at hand, and analyzes potential:

-  Great anticipation

-  Understands positioning

-  Always a scoring threat

Now we are all saying, well DUH... of course Petey would be great on the PK.... but it took BB to make the decision.

And Pettersson was not great in his first few outings on the PK... and he still makes mistakes and sometimes over commits... but the difference between his first PK and now is amazing.

Now he is a bonafide threat to disrupt, intercept and breakout... and once he gets really confident in the role and in how to use his PK partner, you know he will get even better.

I feel this is one of the biggest pluses in having BB as head coach... you know he is continually inverting the paradigm and looking at the possibilities instead of just going the conventional route.

I think that Green's reasoning was to give the top offensive players a rest on the PK and give them lots of offensive zone starts.  This strategy didn't work very well this year

8 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

It was EP suggestion to try him on the PK, not BB as I recall,

BB was asking the players what they'd like and if they fail, don't ask me again

that is true

but that in itself was a breath of fresh air

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Boudreau has been such a great fit in almost every way possible.  

With the team playing so much better it would be hard to believe the players dont believe in him as well. 

Me being speculative but it seems like Miller has been much more publicly enthusiastic as well since Boudreau came on board.  Not saying he hated Green but maybe he’s seeing something good in what Boudreau is doing. 

26 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Fair enough, but at least BB was asking instead of dictating and not having an open mind to new possibilities. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

30 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I severely doubt Travesty Green even gave players the initiative on what colour necktie they should wear.

Good post, OP..heartily agree.

• Cheers 1

Green is not an NHL level coach. Full stop.

I have a few gripes with Bruce as well, but not going to agree with every decision a coach makes no matter who it is. His record speaks for itself, and the record we've had since he's been here cements it. No surprise that a lot of the buttons he's pushed have worked.

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

True but what if Petey also asked Green the same thing. Green would never be as open and honest with media and fans to say one way or the other.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Honestly it just comes down to calibre and experience. Green was the worst coach this team has had since maybe Willie. We hired 2 rookie AHL coaches who have not seen the light of the NHL before or since, and for good reason - they're just not good enough for the NHL.

No surprise that we go and get us a coach who is a proven winner on different teams and suddenly we're a top 5-6 team in the league (on points %). 

It's not just flexibility and ability to see outside the box, Bruce's systems, training, rapport and tactics are all just better than Green's. He's been an NHL coach for years, he's got his system down pat.

Some rookie coaches burst into the league on stacked teams (eg. Pittsburgh, Tampa etc) and make it look easy but they have an easy job. Combining a fresh, losing, young team with a novice coach was a bad idea and we didn't learn from our mistakes with Willie, we repeated them with Green so I'm glad we've finally snapped out of it.

I was preaching in the offseason that we should have fired Green and hired Gallant or Bruce - if we had, we would have been top of the Pacific (based again on our points % since Bruce took over).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Same with putting Quinn Hughes on the PK, despite him being our physically smallest defender.  Not only is his IQ high, but so is his mobility and he can get the zone clears as needed, plus he's probably a threat to spring his teammates on shorthanded chances given his passing ability.  I think some coaches still have the big-bodied, physical, stay-at-home type as their choice for PK defenders so good on him for using our star guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that Green's reasoning was to give the top offensive players a rest on the PK and give them lots of offensive zone starts.  This strategy didn't work very well this year

If your PK is sitting dead last in the league at under 60% what coach would keep putting the same players out there night after night?  He can't say that he was only working with what he had because clearly Petey and Quinn are upgrades on the PK from what Green used.  A coach who cannot improvise and change this around to try and improve their team will not be long for this league.  I'd be shocked if Green is given another head coaching in the NHL any time soon.  Best case scenario is he should be an assistant coach somewhere where he can learn the game better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly it just comes down to calibre and experience. Green was the worst coach this team has had since maybe Willie. We hired 2 rookie AHL coaches who have not seen the light of the NHL before or since, and for good reason - they're just not good enough for the NHL.

No surprise that we go and get us a coach who is a proven winner on different teams and suddenly we're a top 5-6 team in the league (on points %). 

It's not just flexibility and ability to see outside the box, Bruce's systems, training, rapport and tactics are all just better than Green's. He's been an NHL coach for years, he's got his system down pat.

Some rookie coaches burst into the league on stacked teams (eg. Pittsburgh, Tampa etc) and make it look easy but they have an easy job. Combining a fresh, losing, young team with a novice coach was a bad idea and we didn't learn from our mistakes with Willie, we repeated them with Green so I'm glad we've finally snapped out of it.

I was preaching in the offseason that we should have fired Green and hired Gallant or Bruce - if we had, we would have been top of the Pacific (based again on our points % since Bruce took over).

lol

that is just awesomeness!!!

and Willie was the worst coach since

Torts

Edited by lmm
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

One of the things which drove me nuts about Green when he was coach was the way he assigned positions exactly by the book... he always took the conventional approach.

So for example, he never would have thought to put Pettersson on the PK... after all, he's an elite OFFENSIVE top six player who doesn't play physical.

But Boudreau, has a vast store of experience... and he thinks outside the box... he looks at Petey, looks at the task at hand, and analyzes potential:

-  Great anticipation

-  Understands positioning

-  Always a scoring threat

Now we are all saying, well DUH... of course Petey would be great on the PK.... but it took BB to make the decision.

And Pettersson was not great in his first few outings on the PK... and he still makes mistakes and sometimes over commits... but the difference between his first PK and now is amazing.

Now he is a bonafide threat to disrupt, intercept and breakout... and once he gets really confident in the role and in how to use his PK partner, you know he will get even better.

I feel this is one of the biggest pluses in having BB as head coach... you know he is continually inverting the paradigm and looking at the possibilities instead of just going the conventional route.

We had seen this year, that a part of a GMs' job is to also match his roster, with the right coach.  Kudos to Boudreau for showing, they fans, the players and Aquaman the difference.

EDM - 16 games left, 77 pts

VAN 15 games left, 73 pts

Everyone's focused on DAL, VGK, STL and WPG,  but VAN actually has a good chance of catching EDM for that 3rd spot in the Pacific. As long as they beat out EDM, they're in.

Two difference makers the Oilers just don't have:  Demko and Boudreau

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1