The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I think the clear communicated direction laid out by both JR and PA helps tremendously. I don’t have the vitriol some here have for JB and think he did lay some good ground work for new management to build from. But even I admit his communication skills publicly were lacklustre at best. 

Other than good character guys the direction under Benning was a little unclear. He put too much value in high paid bottom 6 vets and struggled building a solid defence. The offseason we added both Beagle and Roussel I didn’t have too much an issue with either contract but that was a time where we should have picked one of the two, not both and left a spot to be filled internally. (inexpensively)

JR and PA have preached making good use of cap space, but that they are not willing to give assets up to do so. They have maintained that even if some here are itching to have contracts dumped. They have not swayed from keeping picks and youth and not parting with them for a band aid fix. 

Further to that watching the draft video during the young stars game with Winnipeg seeing PA having scouts focus on players bringing a special and unique talent is refreshing. He even said as far as I’m not interested in 3rd/4th line guys cause those can be had in FA and don’t cost much. Find something those players don’t bring. 

Benning built a good core but failed to build a full team. Rutherford has completed a team in Pittsburgh and Carolina in the last 2 decades with great success. I think the optimism is warranted. 

Yeah I never have fully thought Benning was a bad GM. I think he's made a lot of mistakes, but I look around the league and see a lot of other GMs make a lot of mistakes too. It's really all about perspective in the end. He has laid a good groundwork for the new management to work with. Could it have been better with another GM? Maybe? Maybe another GM would have picked Sergechev over Juolevi but that same GM might have also picked Glass over Pettersson. We'll never know. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:23 PM, kanucks25 said:

mmk so what about the 19-20 season when the Canucks were on a 6-10-1 skid or something and perhaps saved by the COVID stoppage? Had it not been for "irregularities" we could have easily fell out of the race and not gone on that "bubble run".

It goes both ways. Excuses are for losers, and we've been a loser franchise for too long now.

It seems now that some adults are in charge we may be headed in the right direction, albeit so far they've been all talk with very little walk.

The problem with that line of thinking for that season is that we don't know what would've happened if COVID didn't stop the season.  Maybe the Canucks happened to go on a winning streak.  We just don't know.  The season didn't play out.  So we can't say whether or not the stoppage helped them.  It's all hypothetical.  The fact though is up to that point, the Canucks had a winning % that allowed them to make the playoffs (the only thing that was fair to determine playoffs).

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I never have fully thought Benning was a bad GM. I think he's made a lot of mistakes, but I look around the league and see a lot of other GMs make a lot of mistakes too. It's really all about perspective in the end. He has laid a good groundwork for the new management to work with. Could it have been better with another GM? Maybe? Maybe another GM would have picked Sergechev over Juolevi but that same GM might have also picked Glass over Pettersson. We'll never know. lol

My issue with Benning is he reached the point where the mistakes he was making were things that are simply not acceptable for a major league head executive to make. Saying you "ran out of time" to tender offers to your players because your focus was elsewhere is inexcusable. Getting hit with a tampering charge because you're somehow oblivious to the knowledge that you aren't supposed to talk about going after other team's players publicly to the media is something I wouldn't expect an intern to do, let alone a GM. Saying you're living to "day-to-day" and not having an actual long term plan going forward is not an okay thing for the man in charge of a billion dollar business to say. Imagine if the CEO of any other business said that, or a mayor or military leader or anything with that much responsibility and that many moving parts not having any long term forethought or strategy in place. 

I don't think Benning is the devil incarnate like some make him out to be. He made some good moves and I think he could be a valuable addition to a franchise in some secondary role, but he obviously shouldn't be the man at the helm of a team. 

Edited by McBackup
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:33 AM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Cory Schneider always was overrated from the very beginning. There's a reason Gillis tried to trade him for David Backes way way back. 

No Schneider, no controversy, prob win a cup.

I remember some people acting like Schneider was the next Brodeur. One of the most overrated Canucks ever.

Do you think Demko is overrated? Because Schneider was a better and more consistent goaltender than Demko has been. Both are close to the same in quality at their peak. Lots of similarities though. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd like to see the 94 jersey come back with our blue/green/white colour scheme. They'd look crisp as hell. 

Also, the Utica jerseys were better than anything the Canucks have done in years. I wish I'd bought one.

CANUCKS SELECT NINE PLAYERS AT 2019 DRAFT

Utica Comets Jersey Is Basically A New Jersey Devils Replica

Comets Unveil New Jersey

The green uni always looked so sharp on screen too. Loved those jerseys. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Do you think Demko is overrated? Because Schneider was a better and more consistent goaltender than Demko has been. Both are close to the same in quality at their peak. Lots of similarities though. 

Schneider was never a starter here. His games and minutes were sheltered by Luongo. 

Demko has had one of the worst d cores in franchise history in front of him (they're getting better) and he still puts up great numbers as a starter with no hall of fame goalie to shelter his games and mins.

There is no comparison between the 2

25 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Schneider was never a starter here. His games and minutes were sheltered by Luongo. 

Demko has had one of the worst d cores in franchise history in front of him (they're getting better) and he still puts up great numbers as a starter with no hall of fame goalie to shelter his games and mins.

Easy to compare

both were goalies

both were Canuck goalies

Both over 6 feet tall

both over 210 lbs

both were first round picks

neither won a Stanley Cup

both won a Jennings trophy

both had a gaa in the mid 2s

Regular season save percentage was only .01 different

edit to add- you can actually compare battleships and killer whales- the only thing being, in that case, they don't have much in common.

Edited by gurn
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

53 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

And when Schneider went to an awful New Jersey team he still put up better numbers. I'd argue the defense Schneider had in front of him in Jersey was worse than what we've ever had. He put up elite numbers when he played for us and very good numbers for a weak NJ team from '13-16. The thing that derailed his elite status was his hips giving out. He was an extremely good goaltender. If we could get that level of goaltending with a roster similar to ours we could contend for the cup. We got that for about half of this season this past year but Demko got ran into the ground. 

• Upvote 1

Flying Skate Logo is not all that or even that good.

I get the nostalgia,. It's also how I remember the Canucks in my childhood. 

But the logo and the font feels like it's stuck in the 90's and there's no timelessness to it. 

I get people don't like the Orca but at least it's an Orca. And the color scheme is much nicer with the more natural colors 

On 9/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, iinatcc said:

Flying Skate Logo is not all that or even that good.

I get the nostalgia,. It's also how I remember the Canucks in my childhood. 

But the logo and the font feels like it's stuck in the 90's and there's no timelessness to it. 

I get people don't like the Orca but at least it's an Orca. And the color scheme is much nicer with the more natural colors 

It's nostalgia being hyped up at the moment. Something else from the past will come along within a few years and supplant it.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

15 years from now ... L0U1 ER1CKS0N appreciation thread :lol:

You will legitimately start to see people saying that.

"Loui wasn't that bad, just overpaid"

"Loui wasn't a bad player he just didn't fit in our system"

"Loui was important because we needed a Swedish vet around after the Sedins retired"

"Hey at least Loui wasn't Messier".

And so on. 

Edited by McBackup

3 hours ago, McBackup said:

You will legitimately start to see people saying that.

"Loui wasn't that bad, just overpaid"

"Loui wasn't a bad player he just didn't fit in our system"

"Loui was important because we needed a Swedish vet around after the Sedins retired"

"Hey at least Loui wasn't Messier".

And so on. 

That one is valid…