The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I actually think Vegas is on the outside looking in this season

Wouldn’t surprise me really.

But I’m not gonna bet against them yet. They still do have a veteran squad that knows how to win. That’s why they’re a wildcard to me.

But looking at it the Canucks haven’t had an inside lane to making the playoffs like this for awhile. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Scenario

Calgary becomes a bubble team.  Treliving pulls the trigger on a trade of Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL, also trades Mangiapane after realizing he won't re-sign.  Obtains 3 additional 1st round picks and some additional assets

Calgary becomes a lottery team with 4 total first round picks in this coming draft and a shot at Bedard.

Calgary officially kicks off their rebuild in monster fashion.

Yuck

Finally. Someone else can see this as well

just a little fyi. We are in the exact same boat with miller trade/contract wise!!

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Now, just for fun.  Let's say they do a massive sell off for picks this and next year

4-5 added picks in the first round or two this year and next.  They can kick off that rebuild as fast as any other team and do well by it.

Just imagine Calgary finishing their rebuild or supplementing what they have with years worth of youth and before the Canucks too.

Yikes

Holy &($(@ War. 

whats up with u today??

every word is pure wisdom 

either way. Calgary is still way ahead of us no matter how u spin it

Edited by Quinn Huges

2 minutes ago, Quinn Huges said:

Holy &($(@ War. 

whats up with u today??

either way. Calgary is still way ahead of us nothing matter how u spin it

I'd say the Canucks match up pretty well with the fwds and goalie, it's the dcorp where the discrepancy is.........Calgary's dcorp is ridiculous, imo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say the Canucks match up pretty well with the fwds and goalie, it's the dcorp where the discrepancy is.........Calgary's dcorp is ridiculous, imo

Ya. I like their D. Kind of reminds me of our 2011 D. No Norris guy, but just a really solid six. Taking away Guds and adding Weegar is a big difference. 

• Vintage 2

18 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Maybe there were multiple teams and a bidding war occurred and FLA wanted the shiny unicorn?

Yup, saw that Carolina and St Louis were interested as well. Compared to something like Kesler - who also had demanded a trade, but really only left the Canucks one option in Anaheim - but for a younger player coming into his prime, it's not a surprise. Florida had to have a reason to want to move on from Huberdeau, because otherwise that doesn't happen. Calgary tried to convince Gaudreau and it didn't work, so no need to compare to Miller, and we'll see if they can convert on Huberdeau and Weegar.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Quinn Huges said:

Finally. Someone else can see this as well

just a little fyi. We are in the exact same boat with miller trade/contract wise!!

32 minutes ago, Quinn Huges said:

Holy &($(@ War. 

whats up with u today??

either way. Calgary is still way ahead of us no matter how u spin it

I just see that as a smart business move.  If Treliving can not get either Weegar or Huberdeau to commit to an extension then he HAS to trade them or be left with a measly pick after losing both Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

That would set the entire team back by 5+ years immediately, and with that d core, Markstrom at a high level, they'd add another 3+ years TJ that for mediocrity alone

Weegar at the TDL is a 1st and a +(+)

Huberdeau is a 1st and a ++

Tanev, if traded 1st +(+)

That's 4 picks in the first round alone.

Let's say the Phlegms pick...7, 14, 21 and 26 next year and add two picks in the 2nd round as well.

Look who's currently available at those mock positions.  There's some serious talent in what is supposed to be a deep draft.

If they commit to the same the following year and add more picks/prospects withing 3 years they'll have already surpassed van for potential youth/depth and will still have most if that d-core intact

This is all a what if, but if I am Treliving I am already planning for two years out and am ready to shed 3-6 pieces over that time to maximize return.

LA did it, Anaheim has done it.  San Jose is on their way to it.  Vegas and Edmonton are currently the only true on paper threats in the Pacific if Calgary falters at all.

Plan for the future and hope for the best

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

why though. 

Tkachuk always intended on returning to America. He'd be gone from here too

We would have gotten some excellent years from him, and some assets when he left. We got zilcharoo for Juolevi. 

it doesn’t haunt my dreams or anything, but when that draft comes up in a discussion it will always irk me. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

We would have gotten some excellent years from him, and some assets when he left. We got zilcharoo for Juolevi. 

Or, he could have slipped doing the grouse grind and destroyed his knee never being able to play hockey again 2 years.

Statements like this are ridiculous and we gotta move on past it

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Or, he could have slipped doing the grouse grind and destroyed his knee never being able to play hockey again 2 years.

Statements like this are ridiculous and we gotta move on past it

Or caused some serious problems in the locker room and led to some of our guys requesting trades, which is what usually happens when a guy with severe character issues is brought in.  Gutless cowards like Tkachuk aren't welcome on respectable teams and it would have been another Messier situation here.  Picking another defenceman would have been the best option, but I am grateful that this worthless scumbag was never allowed to disgrace our franchise.

Edited by King Heffy

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Huberdeau is a 1st and a ++

Tanev, if traded 1st +(+)

Tanev has M-NTC, not sure he'd be inclined to move from the team he specifically chose if they're in a PO position which they should be.

Hub also has M-NTC,  would he be inclined to potentially go to 4 teams in one calendar year?  FLA, CGY, TDL Rental team & UFA signing team?

Im not sure how anyone can believe that losing your two best players for one year of huberdeau (potentially) who is five years older, an also older defenseman, some player, and a protected first is a good trade for calgary. 

I think they got what they could, and i dunno about you, but losing a 100 point (cough two 100 point players) for that is a kick in the balls. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Im not sure how anyone can believe that losing your two best players for one year of huberdeau (potentially) who is five years older, an also older defenseman, some player, and a protected first is a good trade for calgary. 

I think they got what they could, and i dunno about you, but losing a 100 point (cough two 100 point players) for that is a kick in the balls. 

It's an awesome return.

I HATE the Flames but they absolutely hit a home run.

Edited by Chris12345

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

hope for the best

That’s all they would be doing.

Hoping for a lottery ticket to pan out. In reality they get one impact player, a top 9 or top 4, a role player, and a bust. Those are the odds.

You lost your two best players and you’ll be lucky to replace one of them with one of those 4 picks.

Not the best strategy. Especially with Calgarys drafting the last 10 years. 

Edited by DeNiro

Gotta say, Treliving seems a lot more likeable after how he's handled the last couple weeks. Those who gotta dump on all things Flames can suck rocks, he's done a great job with what's been thrown his way.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta say, Treliving seems a lot more likeable after how he's handled the last couple weeks. Those who gotta dump on all things Flames can suck rocks, he's done a great job with what's been thrown his way.

Found out pending UFA didn’t want to stay, worked with him to find a team and got a good return especially given their situation. Good bit of GMing. Decisive and ultimately good return. If he can sign at least one of the two UFAs will look even better. 

• Cheers 1