The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Andrew Mangiapane

Interesting...  great junior numbers, then very average and just went off for a crazy career year when half the league had career years 

49 minutes ago, kacholu said:

Wonder if he can keep progressing. I have a feeling he will regress

I'll be frank, I haven't seen him play much but from what I know about his play style I wonder if he'll end up like Matt Moulson (good scorer but not very physical or much of a contributor in other areas).  Hope he lives up to the deal.

The Flames are going to be one to watch next season.  They lost their top 2 players but got a hell of a haul for Tkachuk.  Their D will be better and their forwards will be worse but by how much?  Wiil Monahan recover from season ending hip surgery?  

As for Mangiapane, it's not like his shooting % spiked last year (18.9%) because it was even higher the year before (19.8%).  His shots went from 91 (1.625 /game) to 185 (2.26 / game) which may have had to do with deployment in terms of PP or line mates but he's certainly putting up solid 2nd line numbers.  I'm not so sure he's particularly over paid.  Do the math, if his shots per game regress to last years total and his s% remains at 19% he could easily pot 25 goals

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The Flames are going to be one to watch next season.  They lost their top 2 players but got a hell of a haul for Tkachuk.  Their D will be better and their forwards will be worse but by how much?  Wiil Monahan recover from season ending hip surgery?  

As for Mangiapane, it's not like his shooting % spiked last year (18.9%) because it was even higher the year before (19.8%).  His shots went from 91 (1.625 /game) to 185 (2.26 / game) which may have had to do with deployment in terms of PP or line mates but he's certainly putting up solid 2nd line numbers.  I'm not so sure he's particularly over paid.  Do the math, if his shots per game regress to last years total and his s% remains at 19% he could easily pot 25 goals

The Flames will not make the playoffs. Canucks take their spot next season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

This seems like an ok deal. 

Probably pretty fair. 

I dunno why but I immediately thought of Boeser. 

A year older than Brock, makes. 850k less but same term... 

Brock's career point totals are much higher but Brock is at an unknown junction (we hope his play will pick up back to preinjury levels and pre dads illness levels) 

Mangiapane on the other hand has had a normal career and then put up career numbers last year with 55 pts in 82 games. 

Better comparison would be Conor Garland. Same age, similar production Garland makes less. 

I hope both Conor and Brock outperform Mangiapane.

I'm curious to see what Andrew does this year. I like the way he plays. 

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This seems like an ok deal. 

Probably pretty fair. 

I dunno why but I immediately thought of Boeser. 

A year older than Brock, makes. 850k less but same term... 

Brock's career point totals are much higher but Brock is at an unknown junction (we hope his play will pick up back to preinjury levels and pre dads illness levels) 

Mangiapane on the other hand has had a normal career and then put up career numbers last year with 55 pts in 82 games. 

Better comparison would be Conor Garland. Same age, similar production Garland makes less. 

I hope both Conor and Brock outperform Mangiapane.

I'm curious to see what Andrew does this year. I like the way he plays. 

Boeser is a cut above but Garland is a pretty good comparable.  The difference as I see it is Garland signed for 4 years not 3 and a year earlier on a 39 point, 49 game season.  Last year, Garland had 52 points with 19 goals which compares to Mangiapane with 55 points but with 35 goals in his contract year which always translates into more money.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Yeah, imagine if they had traded Gaudreau away too when they had opportunity to do so. The Lames could have very well set themselves up for the next 5-6 years between trading MT and JG.

• Haha 1