The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Pearson for Clutterbuck

24 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Clutterbuck finished a check that Boeser initiated. There was no intent to injure. Had no idea the door was even opening. It was unfortunate timing. That's it.

Yep, blaming Clutterbuck for this is laughable. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, you're proposing a 1 for 1 swap, no other assets, essentially downgrading our middle 6 in exchange for a 4th line grinder?

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Maybe a few seasons ago. Not now. 
Pearson still worth more to this team than what Clutterbuck could contribute 

That's the point -- downgrading on Pearson to gain cap space.

Can't look at the trade as just Pearson for Clutterbuck. But rather, Pearson for Clutterbuck + the cap savings.

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Clutterbuck is an ass****

Guy almost ended Boeser's career on a deliberate hit launching him toward an open bench door (left open by Virtanen btw).

You don't make that guy a teammate.

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

That's what I was thinking. 

A. Virtanen was exiting the ice. He had to open the door to get off the ice. Lets not vilify him for something that he was not responsible for.

B. Boeser decided to hit Clutterbuck who had the puck. Boeser then bounced off of him and went into the door. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AngryElf said:

Taking a break from the Miller trade threads, I was wondering if the Isles would entertain a 1 for 1 swap of Cal Clutterbuck for Tanner Pearson?

(LW) Pearson, 30 - 2x3.25 Million, had 14 goals and 24 assists for 34 points last year in 68 games. Defensively responsible and consistent player who was a mainstay with Horvat on the second or third line in a shutdown role. Provides decent physicality but is better used as two-way option alongside Barzal and Bailey or Pageau and Wahlstrom. He is also a coaches favourite when the opponents net is empty.

(RW) Clutterbuck, 34 - 2x1.75 Million, had 6 goals and 9 assists for 15 points in 59 games. Is not a real offensive option but knows his role as a 4th Line grinder. Provides a more meat and potatoes style of play that the Canucks sorely lack.

Mikheyev - Petey - Podz
Kuzmenko - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Horvat - Garland
Joshua - Lazar - Clutterbuck

Beauvillier - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - Barzal - Bailey
Pearson - Pageau - Wahlstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Parise

Islanders take on another 1.5 Million in cap but get better to do so, pushing 38 year old Parise to less important 4th line duties so he's not expected to replicate last season. Canucks get much tougher and give Hoglander a permanent spot in the top nine to prove that he's capable of playing in his own end. They also gain cap space but lose a strong two-way player to do it. The $1.5 million difference doesn't impact the Isles ability to sign Barzal (who won't get a massive increase on his current deal), but it does help the Canucks retain Miller and some of their other talent.

Let me know what you think ::D

Yes I would make this trade.. Pearson is a guy that could move up the lineup and plays a 200 foot game..

This trade makes sense for both teams... I like that gives 1.5 cap space and Clutterbuck 5'11, 216 lbs, is a pest.

55 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's the point -- downgrading on Pearson to gain cap space.

Can't look at the trade as just Pearson for Clutterbuck. But rather, Pearson for Clutterbuck + the cap savings.

For sure, I get that. I just think there may be better options than Clutterbuck although I like him as a player. Would want to give that space to a younger player who could potentially grow into a fixture in that role or more.
Or, at least use the trade to then move Clutterbuck elsewhere for a late pick? 
it provides options for sure. I like Pearson. Just believe we could do better.

Also still think if we are in rough shape, Pearson to CGY at deadline might be an option. Maybe pick up one of their excess depth Dmen in return. 

Just spitballing.

I like the idea, definitely not opposed to it, but I see RD as a priority over beefing up the 4th line, or worrying too much about making cap space for a future Miller contract. There's time for that.

Ideally, attach Pearson to one of our bad contracts and hopefully see a RD returned.

But in topic, sure. Good deal.

lol.. that 1.5mil cap space sure as hell will get us the cap space we dreamed about to get a RHD.. if you are moving pearson you are moving him and his entire cap as a dump... not bringing back a 1.5mil well past his prime slow as f 4th liner when u can find those for league minimum.

I wouldn't do it.  

Pearson is a much better player and 4 years younger.  He makes JT Miller, Brock Boeser, and Bo Horvat better when he's playing on their line.  

Saving a measly 1.5 million wouldn't be worth it.  We need to off-load Ferland's LTIR deal to even think about getting under the cap, otherwise there's no point. 

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think you misunderstand, he's in a lot of deals because he is still useful, and the cap hit isn't massive. 

Imo Pearson is one player who plays to his caphit.  I don't see him as an expendable piece

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wouldn't do it.  

Pearson is a much better player and 4 years younger.  He makes JT Miller, Brock Boeser, and Bo Horvat better when he's playing on their line.  

Saving a measly 1.5 million wouldn't be worth it.  We need to off-load Ferland's LTIR deal to even think about getting under the cap, otherwise there's no point. 

^^^This

Pearson goes relatively unappreciated around here, he does a lot of small things right. He worked really well defensively with Miller, allowing JT to focus offensively while Pearson mucked it up in the corners, playing heavy, chipping in offensively, and being sound defensively. He is low maintenance, works hard, and has been seen as a leader in the room. 

He plays in such a way that fits so well with just about everyone, and considering Mikheyev and Podkolzin are still rather unproven commodities in a top six role, Pearson is a good plan B if either can't seem to find their groove. In a pinch, Pearson can fit in any role on any line, at any point of the game. Clutterbuck does not.

NGL if you move Pearson, its not to just clear cap, you want a meaningful player in return that is younger and just as effective as he is. Clutterbuck is neither of those things and quite frankly does a whole lot of nothing other than make hits. Its a lot harder to find a viable top 9 piece in Pearson. You can find players of Clutterbuck's ilk for cheap right now who provide similar things in UFA i.e Zach Aston Reese, Brett Ritchie, Antoine Roussel, Tyler Motte.

Hard pass on the deal. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think you misunderstand, he's in a lot of deals because he is still useful, and the cap hit isn't massive. 

SO WHY NOT FREAKING KEEP HIM.  In terms of contract value for non ELC's he's top 5 on the team.

1. Miller

2. Demko

3. Hughes

4. Horvat

5. Pearson

I should probably put him higher because he boosts Miller's production so very much.  Cap dumping Pearson is the most braindead thing that this forum keeps obsessing about.  It would be criminally negligent by Allvin to cap dump Pearson.