The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Rachel Doerrie

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Canucks fire Rachel Doerrie

Don't know much about her, but unless there's good reason to believe otherwise, I'll assume they're parting ways for a good reason. Based on the term being used ("fired"), it seems like it was the Canucks that wanted to part ways. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. I guess I'm glad the team was willing to part ways with her if it  wasn't working out or going to work out.

She was doing the analytics grunt work.  The reason that she got so much attention as a hire was because she had her own podcast and so had lots of people that had heard about her.  The fact that she was another female being hired definitely brought a lot more eyeballs to her hire as well. 

If you were to look at her resume, you would see that she doesn't stay in one place more then one year and has a history of calling people dumb in the hockey world.  Her schooling includes just the most basic of stats/calculus courses, this is not some high-end analyst that we're losing. 

Good luck to her in the future, she's got two teams now that she can put on her resume and she's very young.  I'm sure that she'll land on her feet. 

On 9/28/2022 at 11:03 AM, HKSR said:

She seemed highly qualified.  Really young though, so maybe lack of depth in experience?

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-rachel-doerrie/c-330478610

She really wasn't highly qualified.  Her main credentials were a diploma in sports management that hardly contains any number crunching.  

Other teams are hiring PhD faculty members that have years and years of experience in research and development...  When I looked at the program that she finished, I didn't see anything more then a very basic intro to stats/calculus. 

I didn't mind the hire that much because she was only getting brought on to do very basic number crunching and probably format/edit things for the rest of the staff.  

In other words, this is a big nothing-burger, but it is surprising that she didn't mesh better with the organization.  

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

She was doing the analytics grunt work.  The reason that she got so much attention as a hire was because she had her own podcast and so had lots of people that had heard about her.  The fact that she was another female being hired definitely brought a lot more eyeballs to her hire as well. 

If you were to look at her resume, you would see that she doesn't stay in one place more then one year and has a history of calling people dumb in the hockey world.  Her schooling includes just the most basic of stats/calculus courses, this is not some high-end analyst that we're losing. 

Good luck to her in the future, she's got two teams now that she can put on her resume and she's very young.  I'm sure that she'll land on her feet. 

She got fired.