The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins Sign former Renounced Coyotes Draft Pick Mitchell Miller to ELC [UPDATE] BRUINS RESCIND CONTRACT

AngryElf

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

It's funny how this is all playing out. Admittedly I didn't do much due dilligence either, I was prepared to give him a second chance. Because I assumed they did their actual jobs and looked into it. Random Canucks fans in this thread easily dug up all the info on this kid. You telling me a billion dollar franchise can't do a simple google search about this kid but the random chaps on CDC can? Lol. Either you're stupid or you're lying about the situation and were hoping nobody would notice. Either way you're scumbags for even trying this.

My situation as well. I didn't know as much about Miller as I do now. No mentally healthy person does the things he did for so long.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Would you feel like that if someone killed your child?  They never get an opportunity to live their life.  Accident or not murder is murder and both bullying and driving impaired are supremely stupid choices.  Socially I find it interesting why people are so much faster to permanently cancel someone for something that happened in their childhood.

??

16 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Would you rather I bully you or accidentally kill you.  I’d rather be alive but that’s just me.

So all that matters is outcome, intent is irrelevant to you?

The vast majority of criticism here and elsewhere focuses on Miller's actions since the allegations came out. You seem to have a narrative around supposed cancel culture, but I think most people abhor the actions while also being willing to give him a second chance if he genuinely accepted and attempted to atone for what he did. Unfortunately it doesn't seem Miller was willing or able to do that.

The Bruins PR own goal is the only saving grace of an otherwise pretty depressing story.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

??

So all that matters is outcome, intent is irrelevant to you?

The vast majority of criticism here and elsewhere focuses on Miller's actions since the allegations came out. You seem to have a narrative around supposed cancel culture, but I think most people abhor the actions while also being willing to give him a second chance if he genuinely accepted and attempted to atone for what he did. Unfortunately it doesn't seem Miller was willing or able to do that.

The Bruins PR own goal is the only saving grace of an otherwise pretty depressing story.

Thing is, a second chance is being given as this "kid" now has a chance to better himself in life. Lay low and be a good human for awhile.

I don't know that he should get a shot at a possible fat contract and future stardom. Maybe not quite yet....zero to hero fast track. Maybe he should take baby steps...I mean, by all accounts he bullied this kid for a long period of time and it was fairly recent in respect to the trauma that was likely inflicted and still remains. Should he get to do "woops, sorry" and then get awarded a shot at a gig that is reserved for the very best?

Court ordered stuff isn't necessarily a sincere attempt at redeeming oneself...it's more an obligation than something initiated from the heart or a pure desire to be better.

Even IF he doesn't get to be in the NHL, he has a chance to live a good life. His victim may be impacted for life (bullying over sustained time can do that)....so let's focus there, shall we?

Maybe we should be concerned that that the victim gets a second chance. That should be the primary focus here.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Miller again. Damn I don’t know. I might be going against the majority here but isn’t this too harsh? He did that when he was 14…? And 14 is a child isn’t it? Is it fair to continue this sort of punishment on him for eternity?  Sure this isn’t like sending him to jail or whatever but this is basically worse than that. Go to prison you serve your time and start fresh… This is worse… this is a life sentence for Miller. Does the society really need to go this far to inflict vigilante justice and dictate public opinion?  I don’t know man. I think this is taking it too far. He is already punished through the courts and the justice system. 

• RoughGame 1

People can change and redeem themselves especially when looking at things that happen in our youth. At 13-17 he is much more a product of his environment and what has come out from his family is suggestive of how much that played a role. Also, as we can see in the hockey Canada fiasco, people go way out of their way to protect high level hockey players and athletes who are already very privileged and often lack in consequences. 
‘Hope this kid can stand back and say if I am a bad enough person that only the KHL would welcome me, what am I doing wrong and what can I change. 
Unfortunately that kind of retrospection rarely comes during youth especially in the privileged. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, a second chance is being given as this "kid" now has a chance to better himself in life. Lay low and be a good human for awhile.

I don't know that he should get a shot at a possible fat contract and future stardom. Maybe not quite yet....zero to hero fast track. Maybe he should take baby steps...I mean, by all accounts he bullied this kid for a long period of time and it was fairly recent in respect to the trauma that was likely inflicted and still remains. Should he get to do "woops, sorry" and then get awarded a shot at a gig that is reserved for the very best?

Court ordered stuff isn't necessarily a sincere attempt at redeeming oneself...it's more an obligation than something initiated from the heart or a pure desire to be better.

Even IF he doesn't get to be in the NHL, he has a chance to live a good life. His victim may be impacted for life (bullying over sustained time can do that)....so let's focus there, shall we?

Maybe we should be concerned that that the victim gets a second chance. That should be the primary focus here.

I think we agree tbh. My response was to the idea that Miller has been treated unfairly in all this, and that's clearly not the case.

• Cheers 3

I'm honestly shocked that there's still people in 2022 that will still defend this guy, or at least make excuses for his behaviour. He doesn't need the defense.

image.png.6de05aafa2de6210a4f3ac492ccdf167.png

Look at Mitchell's twin sister's tweet saying that people are "ruining" his brother's life. :rolleyes:

inline_resized_1024_5f9c9cf0984be_347360

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm honestly shocked that there's still people in 2022 that will still defend this guy, or at least make excuses for his behaviour. He doesn't need the defense.

Look at Mitchell's twin sister's tweet saying that people are "ruining" his brother's life. :rolleyes:

Blah blah.. you're just upset your brother was *this close* to making a nice fat paycheque. Nobody cares about your previous dating history.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Umm... that's nice that he's friendly to some people of colour... hopefully he'll learn to be nice to people with disabilities too.  I assume he isn't since you didn't mention that at all Ms. Miller.

48 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Miller again. Damn I don’t know. I might be going against the majority here but isn’t this too harsh? He did that when he was 14…? And 14 is a child isn’t it? Is it fair to continue this sort of punishment on him for eternity?  Sure this isn’t like sending him to jail or whatever but this is basically worse than that. Go to prison you serve your time and start fresh… This is worse… this is a life sentence for Miller. Does the society really need to go this far to inflict vigilante justice and dictate public opinion?  I don’t know man. I think this is taking it too far. He is already punished through the courts and the justice system. 

99% of kids that play hockey never make it to the NHL. He’s now apart of the 99%, this is a slap on the wrist 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

tough to answer the 'racism' part; however I don't think the "I know black people and even dated one" is a good way to start your answer.

Truthfully though; how do you answer that kind of allegation?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding in- The wording here is kind of funny.

She dated an African American- could mean she dated Elon Musk- as he is an African American, immigrant from South Africa.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Umm... that's nice that he's friendly to some people of colour... hopefully he'll learn to be nice to people with disabilities too.  I assume he isn't since you didn't mention that at all Ms. Miller.

Lmao she really pulled the im not racist because I have black friends eh :lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Blah blah.. you're just upset your brother was *this close* to making a nice fat paycheque. Nobody cares about your previous dating history.

Oh yeah the always convincing, I can’t be racist I have black friends argument. 
Alright fine, let’s take race out of it then it is only a many year long campaign of bullying a handicapped kid.  I can ignore the racial epitaphs he used and still be sickened by this. 
He has also shown nothing that genuinely resembles remorse but hey, his twin thinks he is a good person at least in her unbiased reconning. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, flat land fish said:

The point I was making is that this person has the whole world out with pitch forks in the modern day equivalent to a lynch mob yet a broad spectrum of professional athletes who are established theoretically mature adults are given slaps on the wrist in comparison to Miller who is a human being like the rest of us.  I find your dismissal and position hypocritical a hallmark of cancel culture.  Without a critical thought given like the French Revolution we go off with their heads.  Cancel culture shall remember history repeats and what happened to the leaders of the French Revolution after the old guard was pitched out so were they.  The world in my mind needs more empathy and we can all be better less black or white and more grey.

so while you're trying very hard to stuff this story into the "cancel culture" box you've missed the point. This is a story about personal responsibility, I thought we were supposed to care about that too. 

• Cheers 3