The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo.
I do believe Tocchet was the kind of coach needed to come in atm in time...

The team seemed to be really unstructured like pond hockey at times. Myers would be behind the opposition net, pretending to be QH, only to be found missing at the other end of the rink... and he was not alone in doing so. 

Under Tocchet he seems to be more focussed on not going past the blue line, and be caught behind the play. 

Can Tocchet 'repair' OEL? Not sure, but hope so as the alternative isn't too tasty. 

Brock is toast. He needs a fresh start, and I don't see him fitting the in your face kind of hockey Tocchet wanna play...

A little more boxing out positional play in their end when pressured  is noticeable. Prior to tochett it wasn’t uncommon to see the rhd on the opposite side and vice versa and the forwards scrambling around as well. For me it somewhat explains Myers trying to do to much ending up up with him out of position most of the time OELs positional game not any better. And it has everything to do with the forward group not chipping in on the back check. OEL and Myers stand out in these situations because their both bigger bodies. But relying on them with the minutes attached is overwhelming for any defencemen. When there’s little to any positional structure in place. They can’t be expected to do it all. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

A little more boxing out positional play in their end when pressured  is noticeable. Prior to tochett it wasn’t uncommon to see the rhd on the opposite side and vice versa and the forwards scrambling around as well. For me it somewhat explains Myers trying to do to much ending up up with him out of position most of the time OELs positional game not any better. And it has everything to do with the forward group not chipping in on the back check. OEL and Myers stand out in these situations because their both bigger bodies. But relying on them with the minutes attached is overwhelming for any defencemen. When there’s little to any positional structure in place. They can’t be expected to do it all. 

Myers definitely trying to be a no 1 d man, and it has cost him dearly nummerous times. 
And yes the forwards have been poor at helping out. 
Miller has been a culprit of this, which is frustrating as he was supposed to be the leader... but it was a general trend throughout the forward lines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Oh, well then

sarcastic chandler bing GIF

I don’t think it was a lack of effort in his offseason

i think he wasn’t in too too shape at camp and I think it’s because of his foot injury impacting his ability to train 

but I’m just guessing 

I thought he looked awful almost every game

- in conditioning (the way he laboured and would be breathing heavy on the bench)

- in mobility (he looked extra slow in puck races/ recovery / puck retrieval)

^ this i can all chalk up to his foot bothering him and impacting his summer training 

what I have a hard time just blaming on our forwards and system are

- his puck moving / passing wasn’t as crisp as before

- his positioning was sometimes extremely strange 

- his decision making / visible mental errors lead to some major gaffes and goals against

- he played very few 2 on 1s as a dman should 

now I believe it is possible injuries combined with a a bad summer combined with a confusing system that didn’t help our dmen out could have factored into all have the reasons OEL had a season to forget and I’m not privy to knowing for sure.

but our team does. So if we decide to keep him I’ll believe that was the case, if we buy him out I’ll trust it’s because he’s regressed drastically and he’s only going to get worse from here. 

9 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Yet through all of this, EP and QH's are plus players. Last season Myers was a plus player. It's between the ears that counts. I praised Myers for the first period last game, but watching him in the second, and third periods he was constantly out of position. Yet, here we have Brisbois and Wolanin, short sample mind you, playing plus hockey.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo.
I do believe Tocchet was the kind of coach needed to come in atm in time...

The team seemed to be really unstructured like pond hockey at times. Myers would be behind the opposition net, pretending to be QH, only to be found missing at the other end of the rink... and he was not alone in doing so. 

Under Tocchet he seems to be more focussed on not going past the blue line, and be caught behind the play. 

Can Tocchet 'repair' OEL? Not sure, but hope so as the alternative isn't too tasty. 

Brock is toast. He needs a fresh start, and I don't see him fitting the in your face kind of hockey Tocchet wanna play...

I kept hearing Tocchet was the guy that damaged OEL in Arizona.  Throw that in as well as OEL's age likely means this isn't going to turn out well; but at this point, what choice have we got?  A buyout just extends the problem (wasted cap) even longer.  Another nice parting gift from Jim Benning.  Thanks alot Mike Gillis.:ph34r:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Myers definitely trying to be a no 1 d man, and it has cost him dearly nummerous times. 
And yes the forwards have been poor at helping out. 
Miller has been a culprit of this, which is frustrating as he was supposed to be the leader... but it was a general trend throughout the forward lines. 

OEL was brought in to replace elder. Both players at earlier stages gave both a decent defensive side as well as getting involved in the offence. But the difference between the 2 was elder as he lost his foot speed put more emphasis on the D side of his play. Staying on the line. His down side was his shot which never got thru. But became more defensive minded. OEL needs to simplify his game similarly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Yet through all of this, EP and QH's are plus players. Last season Myers was a plus player. It's between the ears that counts. I praised Myers for the first period last game, but watching him in the second, and third periods he was constantly out of position. Yet, here we have Brisbois and Wolanin, short sample mind you, playing plus hockey.

Both a little younger. Both called up with a little more motivation? Either way it’s good to see. 

12 minutes ago, Muttley said:

If it is to be Pittsburg wanting Miller, they'll have to cough up to get him;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake Guentzel signed a 5 year / $30,000,000 contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins, including $30,000,000 guaranteed,

and an annual average salary of $6,000,000. In 2022-23, Guentzel will earn a base salary of $5,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,000,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Not sure, when it comes down to the crunch, over the next three days, the team that hammered out his new contract will move him. Watch for posturing for a

completely different move and player. It no doubt will be with the Pens though. 

If they get JT, the Pens will likely flip Zucker (UFA) $5.5 at TDL. 

Geuntzel is putting up +++points,which is making his contract a bargain. He becomes a UFA

after next season, so they could flip him if he wants too much in a new contract.

After McGinn clears waivers (In case he's claimed and then he just gets removed from the deal) it will be Miller and Burroughs for Pettersson, McGinn, Pickering and a 1st. 

Penguins clear Pettersson, McGinn and Zucker is a FA next year, so they have more than enough to take on Miller's contract.  

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

After McGinn clears waivers (In case he's claimed and then he just gets removed from the deal) it will be Miller and Burroughs for Pettersson, McGinn, Pickering and a 1st. 

Penguins clear Pettersson, McGinn and Zucker is a FA next year, so they have more than enough to take on Miller's contract.  

Stop teasing us like that. 

...but yes please. I want that 1st round pick. Mid-round pick since Pens are likely to get knocked out in the first round. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Stop teasing us like that. 

...but yes please. I want that 1st round pick. Mid-round pick since Pens are likely to get knocked out in the first round. 

That would be amazing.  Having our own, NYI's fairly high pick and then a Pens mid round 1st.  Guaranteed they would put some condition on it to move it back a year if they lost in the first round or make it a 2nd with the condition on being a 1st if they make the finals.

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If they get JT, the Pens will likely flip Zucker (UFA) $5.5 at TDL. 

Geuntzel is putting up +++points,which is making his contract a bargain. He becomes a UFA

after next season, so they could flip him if he wants too much in a new contract.

Pittsburgh are in a wildcard spot with teams right on their heels.  They are looking to make a big more because their team is struggling to separate themselves.  They need all the help they can get.  Adding an impact player while retaining Zucker is going to make for a more significant improvement vs adding but removing Zucker.  

13 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

That would be amazing.  Having our own, NYI's fairly high pick and then a Pens mid round 1st.  Guaranteed they would put some condition on it to move it back a year if they lost in the first round or make it a 2nd with the condition on being a 1st if they make the finals.

The isles pick could be in the 20's

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Pittsburgh are in a wildcard spot with teams right on their heels.  They are looking to make a big more because their team is struggling to separate themselves.  They need all the help they can get.  Adding an impact player while retaining Zucker is going to make for a more significant improvement vs adding but removing Zucker.  

Zucker also has a partial NTC, teams with lots of cap space are more likely to be one of those 10 teams

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

The isles pick could be in the 20's

If nothing changes (Which it obviously won't stay this way) the Isles would be 14th OA.  Certainly could drop a lot if they make and go on a run in the playoffs, but there are too many top teams in the East it likely won't drop too far down.  Pitts currently listed as 18OA but playoffs play a major factor, so that could be anything at this point hence why they likely throw a few conditions on it.  Even a couple mid-20's picks would be good as the draft is pretty deep.