The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Does EP40 want to leave if the Canucks keep losing?

HKSR

Well, if someone offer sheet's Petey in 2024, would that be the worst thing for this franchise at this stage in our rebuild retool?

It might force management/ownership to admit what they won't, and acknowledge we need a full rebuild.

The right management group could do a lot with 4 1st round picks, which is surely what the level of offer would need to be for us not to match.  

I know some would believe he's 'untouchable' but unless you're a 'generational' player (debate over what exactly that means notwithstanding), nobody imo is untouchable. 

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Well, if someone offer sheet's Petey in 2024, would that be the worst thing for this franchise at this stage in our rebuild retool?

It might force management/ownership to admit what they won't, and acknowledge we need a full rebuild.

The right management group could do a lot with 4 1st round picks, which is surely what the level of offer would need to be for us not to match.  

I know some would believe he's 'untouchable' but unless you're a 'generational' player (debate over what exactly that means notwithstanding), nobody imo is untouchable. 

The return would be huge if another team offer sheeted Petey. As much as I like Pettersson, the return could be team changing.

I think JR ('cause let's face it, he's the guy in charge and Allvin is more of a manager in training), will offer Petey a fair number/term, but he can't lowball him, like he seems to be doing with Horvat. My guess is $9.5 x 6.  Not sure Pettersson will want 8 years in VAN, especially if things continue to go sideways.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

The return would be huge if another team offer sheeted Petey. As much as I like Pettersson, the return could be team changing.

I think JR ('cause let's face it, he's the guy in charge and Allvin is more of a manager in training), will offer Petey a fair number/term, but he can't lowball him, like he seems to be doing with Horvat. My guess is $9.5 x 6.  Not sure Pettersson will want 8 years in VAN, especially if things continue to go sideways.

Tbh, I think Petey gets north of $10m a year. His contract comparable has been Barzal for awhile now, and his ceiling is a lot higher than Barzal’s so I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see Petey get anywhere from $84m-$88m over 8 years. 

I doubt he signs an extension this summer. 

He’d be wise to wait and see what happens during next season and after all the dust settles from coaching changes trades buyouts and what ever else is coming. 

i wouldn’t blame him for wanting out I mean if the team isn’t serious about building for a cup and is the plan remains a fingers crossed wildcard then really what the hells the point besides the pay check.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

https://www.canucksdaily.com/Michael-Russo-believes-the-worst-possible-thing-for-Pettersson-and-his-agent-does-not-deny-it-198347

"Elias loves VAN, he hates losing.  July 1st we can discuss and explore a contract with Vancouver and we will."  -- Pat Brisson (Petey's agent)

There better be a good plan in place if we want to keep our alien.

That's a click bait site, nothing more. He wants to stay here, all of this is just reporters trying to justify their continuing existence by building clicks to their site.

Just now, combover said:

He’d be wise to wait and see what happens during next season and after all the dust settles from coaching changes trades buyouts and what ever else is coming. 

i wouldn’t blame him for wanting out I mean if the team isn’t serious about building for a cup and is the plan remains a fingers crossed wildcard then really what the hells the point besides the pay check.

You have to remember there is always the risk of a long-term career implicating injury for players.

If Petey signs, however the contract is insured - he's guaranteed X amount of dollars. If he chooses not to sign this summer he's risking his future career earnings.

IMO his contract will be signed this season, whether it's with us or another team... But I'm 95% sure it'll be with us.

Pettersson has loads of opportunity here. He is THE guy. He'll be given the key to Vancouver this summer, and possibly the captaincy once the new contract kicks in (2024-25). This will be even more evident once Bo is traded.

I've mentioned this in other threads too that a factor no one considers when speculating Pettersson pulls a Tkachuk is that Pettersson is from Sweden. The only 'home' he knows in North America is Vancouver. No other American city is calling him to come home. Unless he just really wants out he will remain a Canuck for life IMO. 

Pay the man his money A$AP.

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

I wish he wants to leave so everyone from the owner to the most bandwagon fan will finally admit that this team need a proper rebuild. 

Before anyone go at me. Yes we can still rebuild with Pettey but he is the excuse management use to continue with this bs. 

No he’s the type of center you start a build around.

Why would you get rid of him just to try and search for another center as good as him? Makes no sense, he’s 24.

You’re looking at 10 years with no guarantees if you wanna tear it right down to nothing.

48 minutes ago, combover said:

Rutherford already said he ain't about them picks. So it's safe to say the team isn't serious about building for a cup. I don't think he realizes we don't have two generational centers, one of the best goalies of his time, and Letang who was a nutty puck moving do it all D-man. You can't just slot anyone on the wings and call it a day. Lol. But, maybe his target NHL ready youngsters idea is what'll keep Petey here. Since we'll be competitive sooner. But how good we'll be remains to be seen. As much as I roast Rutherford, he hasn't had the cap to build around our core of Petey, Hughes, and Demko. I dunno where Miller and Horvat fit. And he likely won't have that for a year or two. But I mean, he did himself no favours by signing Mikheyev. Love the player, but he wasn't a fit.

We'll see what happens. It's gonna be a long decade if we're in the same spot at the end of it that we are at the end of the Benning era. Which was almost a decade itself. We have done ZERO rebuilding. We barely even retooled very well. Pettersson, Demko and Hughes are all we have to show for Benning's retooling. And again, retooling here isn't the same as retooling in Pittsburgh. I feel like I could have played on Crosby or Malkin's wing and gotten 10-15 goals. At least 3 off my big ass head.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No he’s the type of center you start a build around.

Why would you get rid of him just to try and search for another center as good as him? Makes no sense, he’s 24.

You’re looking at 10 years with no guarantees if you wanna tear it right down to nothing.

I don't want him gone but he is the crutch this management team use to refuse to do what needs to be done.

Sadly only with him gone will this team wake up and face the music.  

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I don't want him gone but he is the crutch this management team use to refuse to do what needs to be done.

Sadly only with him gone will this team wake up and face the music.  

What music?

The parts that need to be fixed are obvious, and it doesn’t involve trading Pettersson. He’s the best young center this team has ever had.

I get that fans are impatient from what’s happened in the past, but this is not the time to be impatient. You don’t blow it all up because of a few issues that need to be fixed. That’s a good way of creating another 10 years of going nowhere.

The challenges for this team are big, but they’re not insurmountable. If they try to get stuff done at the deadline and in the offseason and still can’t, then I might lean towards a full rebuild. But right now they need to at least try to build around the core. GMs have built winners starting with less than this management group has been given.