The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wednesday January 18 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Tampa Bay Lightning - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

Look at those defensive pairings compared to ours. Quality and physicality across the board. They're a big, veteran team, lost a bit of speed and skill though which we have loads of. 

Their D and Vasy is going to shut is down so easily but I think we still score 3. Problem is, we won't be able to stop their PP and Stammer will probably get a hat trick.

6-3 Tampa

• Vintage 1

Any talk of having some kind of Gino Odjick patch on the jersey or something on the helmet!? I hope the Canucks do something to recognize Odjick and his sad recent passing...Sure could use an Odjick on our team now! Maybe not as the enforcer who fights everyone and anyone but a guy who will stand up for his teammates if someone gets a cheap shot or is hit in a diry way! Unlike how the Canucks have operated for over 10 years by not retaliating especially in a Cup final like the Sedins in 2011...but I digress! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

I saw him purposely whiff on a couple shots last game.

He’s probably thinking “nah it wouldn’t be right if it wasn’t against the Canucks”

I should feel bad but I’m hammering Stamkos anytime props tomorrow :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

image.png.93193a4217803d1b774e2bb2cb9160af.png

Media

TV: Sportsnet Pacific

Radio: Sportsnet 650

Overview

It's been a long few days since the puck dropped on Sunday. Canucks Legend Gino Odjick passed away at 52 and the older Canucks faithful are reminiscing about his will to win, his dedication to his teammates at to the fans. Newer fans have seen amazing highlights of his fights and his fighting spirit by trying to connect the Canucks with the First Nations peoples of Vancouver. As the next game against Tampa approaches, flags in Vancouver are flying at half staff and the Canucks have added his number 29 to their helmets. 29 to reflect a warrior.

While the Gino news was breaking Vancouver managed to pick up a shootout win against Carolina on Sunday afternoon. It was their first win on their previously 0-4 Southwest swing and it didn't penalize the race to the bottom too much with Montreal winning and the Sharks picking up a loser point.

On Monday Rutherford held a press conference to discuss Pearson's hand but ended up giving a state of the franchise. His responses regarding tanking, needing major surgery and not really seeing Horvat as worth a future investment were the type of bulletin board material that a team makes up about its own opponents. Rutherford said the players have a job to do, to come to work every game and try and win that game and if they don't then in the second half of the season then management can make different decisions.

This really does seem like it for this season. The Canucks of 2022-23 can now continue on their current path - hovering around .500, giving up leads, not committing to back-checking and not doing their job on defence. They have had their President apologize on their behalf and they can repeat aimless words in press conferences and muddle along and wait for players to be moved. There's no shame in losing to a Tampa team who shut down a surging Seattle on the road and in giving up a 500th goal to a multiple cup winner in Stamkos. It can just be another record set in another season of disappointment for a team that has never had ultimate success.

Or maybe we're somehow in the 1 in the 14 million universes where things change starting with this game. Maybe the Canucks see 29 as a true inspiration to fight. 29, pretty much the exact huge number mountain of wins needed from the remaining 39 games to make the playoffs. Such ideas are pure insanity to contemplate and more likely they'd have a hot streak and then play their way out of the bedard bowl and go nowhere. Only a pure optimist could hope for this and it would take a miracle of a thousand right actions to make it so.

Ex-NHL Enforcer, 1996-97 Penalty Minute Leader Gino Odjick, Dead At 52

Stats

image.png.cf70ca598663f237e062078763328b84.png

image.png.b80bec32a06ae4217201578b738e22cd.png

Lineups (TBC)

Canucks

image.png.a1352950a955ad1f4525ff7f4d3172e8.png

Lightning (last game)

Great Game day thread. Looking at the stat comparison I think they're gonna slaughter us!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why are we keeping 8 NHL D on the roster? Is GM Alvin afraid to put Stillman on waivers and risk losing him...waive him and save some cash against the cap, every penny counts when it comes to maybe being able to get an asset for taking on some salary on an expiring contract...something I think you will see other bottom feeder teams accomplish but we don't have an abundance of cap room so need to save where possible.

Anyways, with the AHL team down the highway we can easily run 7D and if another gets hurt then we call someone up when needed

• Cheers 1

Would love to see these lines tried once: Studnicka Pettersson Kuzmenko 

Garland Horvat Boeser

Mikheyev Miller Lockwood        
                                                                  Joshua Pederson Lazar

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hoping the Canucks come out in the white Flying Skate jerseys with Gino chants.

If anyone on this forum can make that happen it would be YOU VintageCanuck! Send them a quick email about all you do for them on this site and ask for them to do that! Unlikely for white skate jersey as that hasn't been in use for a long time.

I am hoping for some kind of decal or patch to be worn by the Canucks it would show them knowing their fanbase...Gino was and always will be a beloved former Canuck, I would love to see him go into the ring of Honour but only so much room and Lumme ain't up their either, Edler will be soon (long tenure Canuck but not jersey # retirement worthy, all D records will belong to Hughes before his current contract expires)

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Look at those defensive pairings compared to ours. Quality and physicality across the board. They're a big, veteran team, lost a bit of speed and skill though which we have loads of. 

Their D and Vasy is going to shut is down so easily but I think we still score 3. Problem is, we won't be able to stop their PP and Stammer will probably get a hat trick.

6-3 Tampa

2 of those D on Tampa were signed as free agents last summer

I saw a post that said there was no good D to sign

• Haha 1