The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I guess I'm in the minority here but I really think we should have cashed out. We could have gotten a very good pick for Kuzz and maybe even used it on a D *gasps*

Right now as of next year we are spending 33.1M on our top 9 wingers alone.

5.5m on Kuzz

8m on Miller

6.65 on Brock :sick:

4.75 on Mik

4.95 on Garland

3.25 on Pearson

Whats that old adage championship teams are built down the wing said no body ever. Bye Bye Bo! 

People are assuming we could have gotten a really good pick for him. No guarantees there.

And as we saw last summer top 4 D’s are very hard to come by, especially right handed ones. So just because we have an extra pick doesn’t mean we could acquire one. Let’s not forget Lundqvist went for a 1st round pick.

Almost 15 million of those contracts will likely be gone by the summer through buyout or trade.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Miller retired? Garland vanished?

Also Mikayev has to play down the lineup. If he’s a first liner that’s weak depth.

If we’re trading Bo we need a young top 6 potential player coming back. That will fill in one of those slots.

Just what I would like to see not necessarily where they play or what I expect. Major surgery called for but really who thinks that will actually happen with this management group. 
I think Brock and Garland need to go.  Would love to see Bo back but think that ship has sailed. 

I would have traded JTM last year when he had better value but would love to get out of that contract, Carolina are you listening. 
My suspicion is will see Bo traded and one of Brock or Garland and that we will be even worse next year when there isn’t a local shiny prize at the top of the draft. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The two roster players would not be placeholders. They would be players who are around 25 that they can develop along with the core.

If they are 25, they should be contributing to a team. 

Those are the types of players a contender needs. Guys who are outperforming their bridge deals. 

If a contender trades them, major red flags come up for me. 

A guy like Hodgson for example. We traded him in 2012. A 10 OA pick. I believe we won the presidents trophy in 2012 as well. We needed a guy like Hodgson to step up and play a key role but we knew he didn't have it so we traded him. He was 22 and we knew he wasn't our guy. 

All players look better when playing on a good team. If they  are 25 and haven't progressed on a winning program and that team is trading them for a 27 Yo Horvat, I gotta say, I don't believe we will get a difference maker in any of them. 

I would rather take our chances with our own 1st and 2st rounders we drafted like Podz, Lekkermaki, klim, hogz

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Okay I guess you turned into a Aquilini cheer leader real fast lmao

What I want and what’s happening are two different things. 

If you want to ignore reality that’s your choice. I’m just telling you what they clearly stated.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Not true, it will likely be a diminished return scenario. There are some teams that still really like Boeser, Philly and Pittsburgh for example. If they like him, it's more likely that the return will just be lower rather than us throwing in a sweetener. 

For Garland, that may be true. 

We just capped ourselves out for next season while we are trying to suggest in horvat trades we may retain him. Nobody is going to believe that now. Garland and boeser both have negative weight. Its only pay to remove them as of right now unfortunately. 

Kuz is the great player so we got some positive news and can still talk about flipping him over the course of the next 2 seasons :lol:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

If they are 25, they should be contributing to a team. 

Those are the types of players a contender needs. Guys who are outperforming their bridge deals. 

If a contender trades them, major red flags come up for me. 

A guy like Hodgson for example. We traded him in 2012. A 10 OA pick. I believe we won the presidents trophy in 2012 as well. We needed a guy like Hodgson to step up and play a key role but we knew he didn't have it so we traded him. He was 22 and we knew he wasn't our guy. 

All players look better when playing on a good team. If they  are 25 and haven't progressed on a winning program and that team is trading them for a 27 Yo Horvat, I gotta say, I don't believe we will get a difference maker in any of them. 

I would rather take our chances with our own 1st and 2st rounders we drafted like Podz, Lekkermaki, klim, hogz

Not necessarily.

Some teams have depth on D but no depth a center. They can afford to trade young D men to fill holes at center.

There’s also young forwards on teams that are playing lower in the lineup because the team is so deep.

Those are the players we’ll look to acquire.

Great news! Absolutely.

Now I really hope we get Bo signed and move on from other expensive players like Boeser at the TDL and Myers (buyout) in the summer. Garland has been pretty inconsistent but I think Tocchet will want to keep him around. Just a guess but he seems like he could find his game under the new coaching staff.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Moves can and will be made, not like they're signing Kuzmenko and calling it a day for the year.

At what cost? he's basically the only player on the list who could return anything the rest we need to pay to move. By end of next year we will have to pay to move Kuzzi too I agree with @Shayster007 all signs point to him regressing. His shooting % is sooo unsustainable. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also just a bunch of lemmings.

They go whichever way the wind blows, and right now it’s popular to dump on management.

I wish we had more intelligent, original, and rational media in this town. Seems like all of them are just mouthpieces for the negative angry fanbase.

Donnie's a beauty. He's just been asking questions lately because like many of us he wants to see the team lean into a rebuild. He's not like some of these guys like Drance who are constantly shouting and throwing temper tantrums about the team. Although him and Dhaliwal do get into it... but Dhaliwal is pretty annoying LOL. 

The team hasn't been good for quite a while. If the media was all happy go lucky positive, it would just seem like team propaganda. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not necessarily.

Some teams have depth on D but no depth a center. They can afford to trade young D men to fill holes at center.

There’s also young forwards on teams that are playing lower in the lineup because the team is so deep.

Those are the players we’ll look to acquire.

This appears to be the plan. Will be interesting to see how good of a young player they can pry away.

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We just capped ourselves out for next season while we are trying to suggest in horvat trades we may retain him. Nobody is going to believe that now. Garland and boeser both have negative weight. Its only pay to remove them as of right now unfortunately. 

Kuz is the great player so we got some positive news and can still talk about flipping him over the course of the next 2 seasons :lol:

There's obviously scenarios where we are able to re-sign Bo.....the likelihood of them happening or not is another conversation altogether. 

I would bet  Boeser isn't a Canuck past the deadline, I will throw into that mix that we don't need to add a pick or prospect to do so. But it may be a struggling player for struggling player trade, or just Boeser for a pick. Just because some of our fans don't like him, doesn't mean other teams don't.

Ottawa liked Hamonic enough to give us a third... :lol: 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I guess I'm in the minority here but I really think we should have cashed out. We could have gotten a very good pick for Kuzz and maybe even used it on a D *gasps*

Right now as of next year we are spending 33.1M on our top 9 wingers alone.

5.5m on Kuzz

8m on Miller

6.65 on Brock :sick:

4.75 on Mik

4.95 on Garland

3.25 on Pearson

Whats that old adage championship teams are built down the wing said no body ever. Bye Bye Bo! 

I'd have moved him too

But we can move him in a couple years, odds are we'll still be towards the bottom or floating in no man's land 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I just hope, unlike after the Miller extension, that we actually end up moving a couple of Horvat/Miller/Boeser/Garland, to accommodate this move.

That's a solid deal for Kuz, may help in extending Pettersson this summer, and we can still sell him for assets in two years (or sooner) if it works for us/someone wants to offer the moon for him. 

No reason he can't be part of the solution. Now we just need to move some of the guys who aren't.

Moving Boeser and Myers would be enough to re-sign Bo at $8M AAV.  Would still have nearly $9M in cap space for next year if that were the case ($10M if we traded Schenn too).

Our defence would still be a mess, but maybe we can snag a RHD in UFA... like Severson or Mayfield.