The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

Just now, theo5789 said:

I agree with moving on and not making a huge stink about this, but that "moment of jubilation" showed his true colours of how he felt about his time here.

There was no need to mention anything about Vancouver, the question asked of him did not present any reason to do so. He chose to do it and maybe it was a slip on his part, but it's a moment of truth rather than a canned response.

I was still rooting for his success when he was traded, but now it's not that I wish ill of him, I just simply don't care anymore.

I think most of us feel like that...

the last 20 posts of mine would suggest that too... Shouldn't have mentioned Canucks fans at all...

But tbh Horvat apologised, and that for me is the end of it... life goes on, and it is, what it is as McCann would have said.

I think, there is little doubt though, that he has a beef with management, as he didn't mention them in his apology... but that's for him to deal with.

Unless we want a public flogging of him, I think this is as far as it goes.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:
From Canucks Army:

Bo was a loyal soldier for nearly a decade and captained this team through some of the worst iced lineups in franchise history. Is it Bo’s fault that the GMs above him floundered for eight years, struggling to ice a contender? Is it Bo’s fault that an incompetent GM’s near-decade-long failure to ice a watchable product turned Rogers Arena into an overpriced ghost town? No.
Getting mad at Bo for showing some personality is an absolute loser mentality. Let Bo crack jokes at his old team’s expense! It’s great WWE heel content and great commentary on the previous regime’s utter failure to accomplish anything with him as their leader.

Actually Bo picked the soft target - the fans. If he had any courage he would have mentioned ownership, management, or players. But Bo knows he’d have to answer the bell for those kinds of comments. So he targeted the fans. It’s the cowards way. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 2

Alright, this will be my final thoughts unless someone @s me, someone starts spewing some more room temperature IQ takes about how the fanbase is bad but doesn't include themselves, or some new development happens, because I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.  

I have no issue with Bo making the comments he did. It comes across as simultaneously "calculated to endear himself to the Islanders fans" and "Petty badmouthing of your ex", but those are his feelings. I don't understand why he had to drag the fans into it, but so be it. It is just surprising that it was him of all people. I don't think anybody expected the "Bo Horvat villain arc" as the season finale. 

Conversely, I have no issue with fans taking umbrage with his comments and firing back. You can't say "Horvat is just telling the truth, he's right to say it", and then turn around and cry when fans respond. You can't pick and choose. Either Horvat was in his right to say it and fans are in their right to respond, or Horvat shouldn't have said it and fans shouldn't stoop to that level. 

I like(d) Bo. I wished him well in New York. He wasn't my favourite player on the team but I liked watching him play and was fine with him as captain. But he wasn't my favourite player. However I totally empathize with the people who were massive Horvat fans, had his jersey, etc. It has to hurt when the player you were really emotionally invested in on this team turns around and bad mouths you. So their response is just as valid as Horvat saying the Islanders fans are better blah blah blah.

I imagine this is going to be a fun storyline next year when he comes back into town. 

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 4

It's times like this where I really wish NHLers weren't these blue collar dudes. Lol. If I were Bo, I would have hardcore gone full bad guy here. Look how much buzz this topic has generated and he barely said anything. There's a reason why some of the UFC's biggest stars are the bad guys. Look at Chael Sonnen, Conor McGregor, the Diaz brothers on occasion, and Michael Bisping. The bad guy sells harder than anything. It's why the UFC is this big monster, and the WWE where this idea originated is a monster. They realize the power of the bad guy. NHLers, they don't understand. They are all there to play hockey and keep to themselves. Which is fine, but it's why the NHL will never really become a sports powerhouse. We are anti-fun and our players are sticks in the mud.

We need more players taking shots at other teams and other players in the media. Former players taking the piss out of their former teams. I never expected Bo to double down, but I wish he never walked his comments back. It was a fun talking point that now amounts to nothing. Who cares if he dislikes former management, we do too. Oh well. Back to your regular scheduled programming of hating Myers I guess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It's times like this where I really wish NHLers weren't these blue collar dudes.

I know I JUST said I was done with this thread but I had to respond to this. Hockey is one of the most white collar sports in existence. It is prohibitively expensive to play. It's probably the most costly sport to put a kid through that does not involve an automobile, boat or horse, especially to get them to a high level like at the NHL. The vast majority of NHLers come from upper middle class backgrounds at the least. It's not that they're "blue collar", it's that they're white collar kids with extensive coaching to give the most canned, milquetoast responses to everything in order to not ruffle any feathers. There's a reason the NHL is the only league that still requires wearing a suit to walk from the parking lot to the dressing room. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually Bo picked the soft target - the fans. If he had any courage he would have mentioned ownership, management, or players. But Bo knows he’d have to answer the bell for those kinds of comments. So he targeted the fans. It’s the cowards way. 

Thats just who he is though. This is not surprising at all. He even backed down on what he said, so typical of him. Luckily for us, JR and Co. are looking to fill our roster with "High Character" players now. We are not there yet but we are moving in the right direction.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • elephant 1

23 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Out of the horse's mouth (or elsewhere). I'm going to let this die on my part, but I'm not really buying it as I don't detect a whole lot of sincerity with "buts" included. I still get a bit of smugness from him but that might be jilted ex syndrome. 

I too, sense a whole lot of backpedaling going on. Haha! 

Obviously, he feels like a heel. He had no choice but to make a public statement and apologize. 

He should have just kept his mouth shut about Vancouver. But at least we know where he really stands. 

And it's not with us.

Time to move on. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I know I JUST said I was done with this thread but I had to respond to this. Hockey is one of the most white collar sports in existence. It is prohibitively expensive to play. It's probably the most costly sport to put a kid through that does not involve an automobile, boat or horse, especially to get them to a high level like at the NHL. The vast majority of NHLers come from upper middle class backgrounds at the least. It's not that they're "blue collar", it's that they're white collar kids with extensive coaching to give the most canned, milquetoast responses to everything in order to not ruffle any feathers. There's a reason the NHL is the only league that still requires wearing a suit to walk from the parking lot to the dressing room. 

Yes, white collar is the better wording. Rich kids that don't really have an edge to their game. Even the NBA has more animosity between players. They'll roast each other publicly, they'll style on each other in game. That game is immensely more popular because of the characters. We have no characters and it's to the detriment of the game overall. Yes, being fun to watch is one thing, but narratives and drama can carry the sport to another level of entertaining.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

If you're not excited about (Canucks) hockey why are you even here?

We have a lot of things to be excited/hopeful for. Maybe not a completely finished product, but this crap you're spewing serves nothing of value.

You get excited about 23rd place with 3 games left if you want. I don't have too. People are allowed to be different. What crap am I spewing? That it's petty to sh!t on a player on a different team that has nothing to do with us, and doesn't deserve it, in order to make yourself feel better?

So what, now being a Canuck fan is measured by how much you bad mouth former players? Pretty lofty and admirable standards there Deb.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Typical Bo Peep...said something flip, riled people up, then has been profusely backpedaling it ever since.

I would've rather he just gave it the 'ole Bert "It is what it is" response, and just be done with it. 

So happy management went with JT over him.

JT is tough, snarly, and he gives a shit about his team, and he will break himself for them.

Ya know, captain kind of qualities.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • elephant 1

From the fans who have thrown multiple jerseys in the ice, the same fans who asked for him to be traded to start the rebuild. From the fans who called him soft for not fighting or sticking up for his teammates,  from the fans who call him overpaid and say his contract is gonna suck. From the fans who call him names. From the fans who said we'd never win a cup with him as captain. From the fans who said all he is good for is taking faceoffs...

Y'know, he's probably not wrong

He's been disrespected a lot by this fan base.  He may as well be a villain because the fan base is softer than his captaincy. 

Edited by DS4quality
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 9
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 3

Well I'm sure this has been covered but i didn't read all of the posts. 

I'm sure Bo didn't mean to zero in on the fans but he did mention the fans in a manner that has been offensive to many fans especially after they supported him during his tenure here as a player and supported resigning him. 

He never mentioned Bruce the previous coach nor the previous nor present management group.

Now one group that should be mentioned is the local Vancouver sports media, especially the group from 650am. 

• Cheers 1

Bo had a rough go of it towards the end in Vancouver. The team was bad, fans were upset, and he was not the leader the team needed. I don't think he's a bad guy, and his comments were just a spur of the moment release of pent up frustration and a way to pump up the home crowd. I honestly don't think he anticipated how viral this would go in Vancouver. He should know better than that having played here for a decade!

Despite the apology/back-tracking, I think he meant what he said and it's tarnished his reputation as a Canuck a bit for me. Not one of the all-time greats by any means.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Let the butt hurt flow through you :lol:

lol I’ve never liked Horvat. I’ve made that abundantly clear. I’d rather have lost him for free rather than resign him. I’m beyond ecstatic at our return for him. Most overrated player in the NHL. Wasn’t even half as good as prime Toews, who in my opinion is THEE MOST overrated player of the past few decades. 

• Wat 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

4 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

lol I’ve never liked Horvat. I’ve made that abundantly clear. I’d rather have lost him for free rather than resign him. I’m beyond ecstatic at our return for him. Most overrated player in the NHL. Wasn’t even half as good as prime Toews, who in my opinion is THEE MOST overrated player of the past few decades. 

Good thing you’re not GM then, because that is flat out moronic. 

28 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

From the fans who have thrown multiple jerseys in the ice, the same fans who asked for him to be traded to start the rebuild. From the fans who called him soft for not fighting or sticking up for his teammates,  from the fans who call him overpaid and say his contract is gonna suck. From the fans who call him names. From the fans who said we'd never win a cup with him as captain. From the fans who said all he is good for is taking faceoffs...

Y'know, he's probably not wrong

He's been disrespected a lot by this fan base.  He may as well be a villain because the fan base is softer than his captaincy. 

How is he not a villain? He rejected contract after contract and ended up signing for a ridiculous contract after being on a hot streak for half a year. He’s also fallen off a cliff after signing his retirement contract. Clearly he’s not as good as he thinks. Boo hoo cry me a river why should we bend over for our 4th/5th best player? He would’ve handicapped the team HARD. 

All of you old head fans bent over for him. It’s what inflated his ego and made him think he was worth more. Why should Hughes, EP40 JTM give a damn about Bowie. They have put up historical seasons from a historical Canucks perspective and have been in trade rumours at one point or another. Bo has literally coasted through his whole career here putting up middling numbers and I can’t remember a single time where he was in trade talks or anything. People act like Bo was the glue that held this whole team together and he wasn’t. He’s escaped so much scrutiny in his time here. 

People were talking of trading EP40 when he was struggling, JTM when he put up 99 points last year, QH in his sophomore season, Bo never faced as much scrutiny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I agree with moving on and not making a huge stink about this, but that "moment of jubilation" showed his true colours of how he felt about his time here.

There was no need to mention anything about Vancouver, the question asked of him did not present any reason to do so. He chose to do it and maybe it was a slip on his part, but it's a moment of truth rather than a canned response.

I was still rooting for his success when he was traded, but now it's not that I wish ill of him, I just simply don't care anymore.

Yea he went put of his way to mention Vancouver while smirking. Even the reporter was surprised by his answer. Bo Whorevat better get a cold reception in his return.

• RoughGame 1
  • elephant 1